NHSC Scholarship 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied last year and did not receive an award. Now I'm in my first year of medical school. Is it worth applying again? Not much has changed except now I have a half a year of successful medical school under my belt. But if there's a chance I want to apply again anyways
I always recommend reapplying if you didn’t get it the first time. Unless you go to NYU medical school where tuition is free, always worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I always recommend reapplying if you didn’t get it the first time. Unless you go to NYU medical school where tuition is free, always worth it.

Agree with this. I didn’t get the scholarship on my first try; got it on my second. What do you have to lose?

Reactions: 1 users
For scholarship recipients perform their service after dental school:

Can you choose the location of where you serve or are you placed anywhere in the United States and you have no say where?

Members don't see this ad :)
Odd, probably dumb question: Can you apply for this to cover PART of your cost of attendance? For example, if you needed about $20,000/year can you apply to just get that much and get your years of service recalculated?

Second question: If you choose to apply to their loan repayment program after dental school how much do they pay towards your loans each year?

Odd, probably dumb question: Can you apply for this to cover PART of your cost of attendance? For example, if you needed about $20,000/year can you apply to just get that much and get your years of service recalculated?

No, as far as I know you can’t get partial support. In addition, even if you could, it wouldn’t change how many years of service you owe. That’s calculated by how many years of support you got, not the amount.

Second question: If you choose to apply to their loan repayment program after dental school how much do they pay towards your loans each year?
1) If they pay ANYTHING for a particular year, you owe them a full year of service. I believe you can refuse funding for a certain semester/year, but unless you refuse for an entire year, you still owe them. They define a year as “all, or part, of the 12-month period - from July 1 through June 30”. They even give an example of how if you request funding for any time after June 30, even if only a short period of time, they consider it as an additional year with an entire year of obligation attached (see the application/program guide page 12-13).
2) depends on the HPSA score, but at most $50k for 2 years of service in a HPSA score of 14+

if i have a deferment should i apply this year or next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
tenor.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,
I wrote my essays beforehand for the scholarship with hopes of getting a little ahead. The application guide says there is a 500 word limit, but the portal says 2,500 character limit, which don't exactly correlate. Does anyone know which standard to follow? Also can anyone confirm which financial aid office the verification of disadvantaged status or EFN papers should be sent to? I sent them to my college, but they said they were unsure if they could fill them out (Penn State). Thanks for any help!

Hello,
I wrote my essays beforehand for the scholarship with hopes of getting a little ahead. The application guide says there is a 500 word limit, but the portal says 2,500 character limit, which don't exactly correlate. Does anyone know which standard to follow? Also can anyone confirm which financial aid office the verification of disadvantaged status or EFN papers should be sent to? I sent them to my college, but they said they were unsure if they could fill them out (Penn State). Thanks for any help!
Someone else on another thread says they called and got confirmation that it is 500 words/essay.

What are you guys putting for the program dates? I can’t find an academic calendar for all four years?

What are you guys putting for the program dates? I can’t find an academic calendar for all four years?
Same, Do we just estimate the dates? I checked the school's academic calendar and it's still confusing. Are we putting the first day of registering for classes? Anyone with answers?

Same, Do we just estimate the dates? I checked the school's academic calendar and it's still confusing. Are we putting the first day of registering for classes? Anyone with answers?
I would put the first day you are required to be there (orientation or first day of classes). You can just estimate the dates if you are not sure. As long as everything falls into their fiscal year, it should be fine.

Hello,

I was also wondering about whether I need to have my current college (undergrad) fill out the disadvantaged status form or if the school I will be attending needs to fill it out. Also, is there a separate form for verifying EFN status? I only see the form for filling out Disadvantaged Background status.

I was also wondering about whether I need to have my current college (undergrad) fill out the disadvantaged status form or if the school I will be attending needs to fill it out. Also, is there a separate form for verifying EFN status? I only see the form for filling out Disadvantaged Background status.
Someone in another thread found out that it is your undergrad that fills out that form. As for whether or not there is a separate form for EFN, I don’t know.

I went to the Financial Aid office and the Admissions office at my college and they were unable to fill out the disadvantaged status form. They said they would only be able to fill out an EFN form. I was able to get the dental school I will be attending to fill out the paper though.

Anyone know the chances of receiving this scholarship without a disadvantaged background? I'm really interested in giving back to my community after graudating and have already filled out the majority of this application.

Anyone know the chances of receiving this scholarship without a disadvantaged background? I'm really interested in giving back to my community after graudating and have already filled out the majority of this application.
I am one of the least disadvantaged people there is and I received the four year scholarship. I would say it matters more how you can show your desire to serve the underserved than it does your own disadvantaged background, although that does play a factor

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone received the scholarship who didn't put their name, social and applicant id on the supporting documents! Just realized we were supposed to and now I'm super nervous I won't be in the running. Thanks!

Anyone working on hep b vaccine? Who's getting their shots cheap?

Anyone working on hep b vaccine? Who's getting their shots cheap?
I’ve got one to go in August and then the titer a month later. I used my university’s health clinic but they haven’t been cheap.

Thought I’d get a thread started seeing as the scholarship is now open! Let’s use this as a general place for our questions and to support one another.

Essay Questions:
*Essay 1: How will you contribute to the mission of the National Health Service Corps in providing care to underserved communities?
*Essay 2: What experiences have you had or activities have you participated in that have prepared you to work with underserved populations?
*Essay 3: Please discuss your commitment to pursue a career in primary health care.

What does the scholarship offer?
Tuition and fees for your school paid for as well as a monthly living stipend.

How do you pay back?
For each year that you use the scholarship, you give a give of pay back at an NHSC-approved site in a high-need urban, rural, or frontier community across the nation. A minimum of 2 years of giving back is required and a maximum of 4 years of financial support will be given.

Here is a link to the application and program guide: https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/downloads/spapplicationguide.pdf
Do you have to be accepted into dental school before you apply for NHSC?

So I’ve been out of the country for the past three weeks and just got back yesterday. I saw today that I had a missed call from an unknown number in Washington, DC, and I remember people talking about sometimes the NHSC committee calls to check in and do credit checks and also ask about continued interest in the scholarship.

I was wondering if anyone else had gotten a call like this related to the scholarship recently, and do you think this is a problem that I missed the call?

So I’ve been out of the country for the past three weeks and just got back yesterday. I saw today that I had a missed call from an unknown number in Washington, DC, and I remember people talking about sometimes the NHSC committee calls to check in and do credit checks and also ask about continued interest in the scholarship.

I was wondering if anyone else had gotten a call like this related to the scholarship recently, and do you think this is a problem that I missed the call?
If they do calls from random DC numbers I’ll definitely be kicked out of the running. I receive so many robocalls that I screen and let everything unknown go to voicemail.

I would say odds are it wasn’t NHSC related. I remember reading that some people received calls if they were unable to conduct a credit check. Would be very early for that though.

Does anyone know what happens if you accept loans for the school year and then get the scholarship? I have to accept my offered loans before I'll find out about the scholarship and am just wondering what would happen if I were fortunate enough to receive the scholarship?

Does anyone know what happens if you accept loans for the school year and then get the scholarship? I have to accept my offered loans before I'll find out about the scholarship and am just wondering what would happen if I were fortunate enough to receive the scholarship?
That is how it goes for everyone. I believe you have 120 days from the time you receive your loans to return them without penalty/fees, but either way, as soon as you get the scholarship, you should inform your school so they can start the return process. The NHSC will pay your school and then your school will refund your loans. It’s pretty smooth as long as everything matches up (most of it is paid directly to the school, the other part comes from your ORC payment in October and sometimes can be difficult to figure out what money is coming from where and going to where).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
do you guys know if every year you go to a new area or do you stay within one area for the 4 years?

do you guys know if every year you go to a new area or do you stay within one area for the 4 years?
It is up to you. It is like a normal job. Ideally you would stay as long as you want, but you have the ability to transfer if you need to. I am going on 3 years at the same place and I plan to be here for at least 2 more.

It is up to you. It is like a normal job. Ideally you would stay as long as you want, but you have the ability to transfer if you need to. I am going on 3 years at the same place and I plan to be here for at least 2 more.
ok awesome! also, I realize this scholarship is very competitive. Do you also need to send in your DAT score or is it just gpa?

I will be reapplying this year as a first year dental student. My credit was checked as part of last year’s cycle, but unfortunately I was not selected. Has anyone had any luck reapplying after already starting dental school?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN