NHSC Scholarship 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 121 62.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • already got it! :)

Votes: 18 9.3%

• Total voters
It seems majority of the people have not received the counter signature on Sep 9th. Is any one brave enough to call NHSC to find out?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone on Facebook posted a screenshot, highly doubt it’s a joke. I really think it’s different this year. Scary but let’s keep our fingers crossed!! :)
can you post the screenshot of the screenshot here!

Reactions: 1 user
can you post the screenshot of the screenshot here!

7A74A690-DD83-4F13-BDBC-C2FD193B5F97.jpeg

Crossed out applicants information just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Countersigned!!!!

Edit: 4:30 signed by Jamie king!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
CounterSigned!!!!!

First year- requested 4 years funding.

Last edited:
Yay!! Congrats everyone!!
We can all breathe now!!

Reactions: 2 users
Sep 10, 2019 4:23:57 PM countersigned! congrats everyone!

Countersigned! East coast dental, first round finalist!!

What a blessing!! Countersigned at 4:23:55 today.
Congratulations to recipients thus far and still praying for those awaiting a response!

MD first round finalist countersigned by Jamie King at 4:21 pm!
Are we sure this means we got the award? So EXCITED rn

Members don't see this ad :)
countersigned today at 4:23 by jamie king yay! good luck to everyone.

If you were a first round finalist? What date did you upload your W4 and enrollment verification when you were accepted as finalist/accept your contract? (Like Aug 6-12)

Edit : I am guessing that countersign is happening based on date when you accepted the offer. Like in earlier picture above, the applicant upload the docs in Aug 6th and accepted 3yrs contract.
I completed those docs and accepted the finalist offer on Aug 7th.

Last edited:
If you were a first round finalist? What date did you upload your W4 and enrollment verification when you were accepted as finalist/accept your contract? (Like Aug 6-12)

Edit : I am guessing that countersign is happening based on date when you accepted the offer. Like in earlier picture above, the applicant upload the docs in Aug 6th and accepted 3yrs contract.

Hoping you're right about that! I was a first round finalist and accepted the offer/submitted documents Aug 12th, but still no countersignature.

Hoping you're right about that! I was a first round finalist and accepted the offer/submitted documents Aug 12th, but still no countersignature.

That is the reasonable explanation that I could come with for right now.
I'll pray for you. Good Luck!

You’re not alone, I’m also in the same position. Still holding out hope.
Congratulations to everyone who received the scholarship!

For future applicants:

D1 requesting 4 years of scholarship.
First round credit check, First round finalist.
Low GPA.
Years of volunteer experience and international outreaches.

Good luck to those who are still waiting. My fingers and toes are crossed for all of you! I'm sure it will come soon!!

That is the reasonable explanation that I could come with for right now.
I'll pray for you. Good Luck!

I'm hoping this is true! I was a first round finalist. I still haven't received a countersignature, but I didn't submit my documents until August 11th.

someone at my school has a reliable contact with the NHSC. He said more countersignatures are still coming.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Just to confirm a signature is a guarantee correct? Or do we have to wait for an email confirmation as well? Congrats to everyone!

Hi -- long-time lurker here, med 1st time 4 yr applicant. 1st round Finalist, signed/w4/etc on 8/7.

I downloaded the contract and see a 2:30pm countersignature on that PDF from Jamie King. But the status page still says "Accepted Award -- Under Final Review" as it has for the last month. Just to be clear here -- that's what people are seeing also when they say "countersigned" I assume?

Hi -- long-time lurker here, med 1st time 4 yr applicant. 1st round Finalist, signed/w4/etc on 8/7.

I downloaded the contract and see a 2:30pm countersignature on that PDF from Jamie King. But the status page still says "Accepted Award -- Under Final Review" as it has for the last month. Just to be clear here -- that's what people are seeing also when they say "countersigned" I assume?
correct. What matters is the signature.

Will they send out an email confirmation? What are the next steps after getting the signature?

Updating this:

Credit Check: Shown on credit report from "Credco"
1st round - July 15
2nd round - ???

Finalist Notification: Recipients received an email to check portal for an update
1st round - Aug 6
2nd round - Aug 12
3rd round - Aug 20 - phone call before finalist email

Co-signatures: signed by Jamie King
1st round : Sept 9th @ ~2:30PM
2nd round: Sept 10th @ ~4:30 PM

Countersignature signed 420pm 9/10! Good luck to those still waiting!

i was first round finalist, uploaded everything on Aug 8th. Countersignature yesterday at 4:21 PM! D2, accepted 3 years.

Dental first round finalist. Submitted August 12th. Accepted 3 years, and was countersigned by Jamie King at 10:45 am on September 11.

Be sure to check the actual contract, which you'd download as a PDF. The website still claims I'm under final review, but I have the counter signature. Good luck everyone! Hoping everyone has great success!!

Dental 2nd round finalist, submitted August 14. Cosigned 9/11 at 10:45am.

Dental 1st round finalist, cosigned 9/11 at 10:46 AM

NP 1st round finalist, cosigned 9/11 at 10:46AM!

D1 signed up for 4years, 1st round, w4 submitted 8/7, no countersign.

Last edited:
DO, signed up for 4 years, 1st round finalist, w4 submitted 8/10, countersigned 9/11 10:45am!

Dental - 1st round finalist, submitted forms 8/9, cosigned 9/11 at 10:46 AM! I feel like they’re still coming for those still waiting!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
D1 signed up for 4years, 1st round finalist, w4 submitted 8/7, countersigned at 13:30. Wow I'll continue to keep the faith for you all!

also got countersigned today at 1:38pm EST!

D1 signed up for 2 years
1st round finalist
W4/EVF submitted 8/8

Good luck to those still waiting!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Countersigned September 11th at 10:45 am! First round finalist, accepted offer on 8/12. Congratulations everyone! Praying for everyone still waiting for news!

Anyone know around when we should expect the actual confirmation emails? Not sure if we had a general timeline based off of last years thread??

Update:
Credit Check: Shown on credit report from "Credco"
1st round - July 15
2nd round - ???

Finalist Notification: Recipients received an email to check portal for an update
1st round - Aug 6
2nd round - Aug 12
3rd round - Aug 20 - phone call before finalist email
4th round - Aug 26 (someone mentioned on FB)

Co-signatures: signed by Jamie King
1st round : Sept 9th @ ~2:30PM
2nd round: Sept 10th @ ~4:30 PM
3rd round: Sept 11th @ various times

Reactions: 8 users
Did anyone with countersignatures receive a confirmation e-mail yet? Possibly next week?

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone with countersignatures receive a confirmation e-mail yet? Possibly next week?

Nope, not me -- definitely waiting on that and/or the portal changing over to feel like it's real.

Sending positive thoughts for everyone. Stay strong.

Why is the "portal changing" taking forever? Like NHSC "pay for my tuition already", so I can be alleviated of this heart pain.....:bang:

Why is the "portal changing" taking forever? Like NHSC "pay for my tuition already", so I can be alleviated of this heart pain.....:bang:

These dental examinations are taking all my efforts and mental spaces, NHSC is not helloing :(

So, I didn't get the scholarship this year :(. I will be applying again next year and want to improve my chances of getting it. I don't know what shortcomings my application had. I had everything that I believed that they would be interested in. I am from a disadvantaged background, lived most of my life in a rural medically undeserved area, volunteered at a rural free medical clinic. I don't know what else they are looking for. Can anyone who has gotten the scholarship let me know what they focused on their application? What do you believe made you stand out? What did you focus on in you essay questions? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

So, I didn't get the scholarship this year :(. I will be applying again next year and want to improve my chances of getting it. I don't know what shortcomings my application had. I had everything that I believed that they would be interested in. I am from a disadvantaged background, lived most of my life in a rural medically undeserved area, volunteered at a rural free medical clinic. I don't know what else they are looking for. Can anyone who has gotten the scholarship let me know what they focused on their application? What do you believe made you stand out? What did you focus on in you essay questions? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry to hear that. From what I can tell, none of us knows *for sure* even after a countersignature (no final email "congrats"/portal changes yet) so this isn't maybe the best time to get lots of replies since some of us are a little afraid to jinx it. But I would say there are some helpful tips in response to Dhooy7 on Sept 5-7 -- mostly good advice around really heartfelt essays (and letters even, I think... someone who can speak to your service commitment and background, not just grades/research/etc). For example, in my essays I didn't just tell about my AmeriCorps and access work... I showed it with stories and moving takeaways; my letter writer did the same, she said.

I think your background, volunteering, and interest are awesome and they clearly missed out this year on you. But hopefully NHSC is smart enough to snag you next year! (And as someone said, they seem like folks with repeat apps so you might have a good chance next year...)