NHSC Scholarship 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 121 62.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • already got it! :)

Votes: 18 9.3%

• Total voters
Any updates?

portal still "under review". No email. still check the contract everyday to make sure the countersign is still there. And it is. :laugh: Patiently waiting.. they have about 1.5 weeks till sept 30.

Reactions: 3 users
Emails just out now guys, portals should be active!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Emails just out now guys, portals should be active!

Contract countersigned on the 10th of Sept. No email or portal update. Still an applicant, "Accepted Award - Under Final Review," and contract still signed

Reactions: 1 user
I can confirm. Got the email at 8 pm and my portal has changed.

Reactions: 2 users
Also can confirm. E-mail directing me to a message in the portal welcoming me to the NHSC Scholarship Program! :)

No email, portal did not change either. should I be worried? :(

Accepted OMS-I, signed up for 4 years, 1st round finalist, w4 submitted 8/12, didn’t receive a countersigned email, just “New message from your BHW account” @ 8:03pm.

Can confirm. Here was the email and the page I was forwarded to after logging in!

D2 - 3 year scholarship - disadvantaged - first round finalist ; second round countersign

Attachments

• nhsc update 1.png
    nhsc update 1.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 193
  • nhsc update 2.png
    nhsc update 2.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: 1 users
No email, portal did not change either. should I be worried? :(

I wouldn't be too worried yet although I know that feeling.
They seem to be doing things a little differently this year, specifically the time of day that updates are sent out.
If you were a finalist and countersigned, I feel like things are still very much in your favor. :)

EDIT: It also lists "Award Date: September 10, 2019", which is the day my contract was countersigned.

Last edited:
Confirmed. 8pm email. D1 disadvantaged status. Portal updated as well.

received the email too! I can finally breathe
I wouldn't be surprised if they send another round of emails tomorrow.

I went to My Service Information to download the documents for my school but it says "NHSC SP Guidelines For Your School" is unavailable. anyone else have this problem?

edit: Also my status is "Contact BHW".

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the email. It's REAL!

Last edited:
Contract countersigned on the 10th of Sept. No email or portal update. Still an applicant, "Accepted Award - Under Final Review," and contract still signed

Received the update and email last night at 10pm. East coast recipient

received the email too! I can finally breathe
I wouldn't be surprised if they send another round of emails tomorrow.

I went to My Service Information to download the documents for my school but it says "NHSC SP Guidelines For Your School" is unavailable. anyone else have this problem?

edit: Also my status is "Contact BHW".
I did. I am assuming the documents (like invoices) for school will become available within a day or two! Breath- we made it :) (at least this far, now I have to pass all my test :laugh: )

Reactions: 4 users
Wow just woke up to the email! It was sent at 3AM!

Reactions: 5 users
Reject email today...congrats to those who got it!

• Wow
Also 3am email (someone better be getting paid overtime!) and portal is now changed over.

The school documents were not available at 2pm this afternoon but are now available for download on my portal.

Sorry for those who didn't get it this year... y'all deserved it I'm sure (I hear the decisions sometimes appear quite random) and hopefully next year the winds of luck are better for you.

For those who did get it -- anyone making a FB group (including for us non-dentists lol)

• Love
For those who did not get it. DONT GIVE UP! NEVER GIVE UP. Especially not on the community you want to serve or any community. There are people that will need you whether you have the scholarship or not. And you will have another shot. Just come back strong! Ill be pulling for you!

Last edited:
  • Love
For those who did not get it. DONT GIVE UP! NEVER GIVE UP. Especially not on the community you want to serve or any community. There people that will need you whether you have the scholarship or not. And you will have another shot. Just come back strong! Ill be pulling for you!
Took me three times to finally get it. Don't give up!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Also 3am email (someone better be getting paid overtime!) and portal is now changed over.

The school documents were not available at 2pm this afternoon but are now available for download on my portal.

Sorry for those who didn't get it this year... y'all deserved it I'm sure (I hear the decisions sometimes appear quite random) and hopefully next year the winds of luck are better for you.

For those who did get it -- anyone making a FB group (including for us non-dentists lol)

There is already a fb group: Log into Facebook | Facebook

It says for dental but there are other specialties in there too!

Hey congrats to everyone on here that got the scholarship! I just got my acceptance from medical school this past week and I'm planning on applying for it this spring. Any tips and advice for preparing the application until then?

Hey congrats to everyone on here that got the scholarship! I just got my acceptance from medical school this past week and I'm planning on applying for it this spring. Any tips and advice for preparing the application until then?

Congratulations on getting accepted into medical school! I would say the biggest advice that I got from previous scholars is to show that you are passionate about serving the underserved/rural through your essays. No one really knows what they look for in an applicant, but from what I can gather from previous threads is that the essays play the biggest role. It also helps significantly if you are from a disadvantage background. But there are plenty of people who get the scholarship without being from a disadvantage background, so it makes me believe that having a strong essay is a huge determining factor. Try to get really strong recommendations as well!

Best of luck!

Since the dentist group and other groups have FB networking (and the name does say dentists, and I don't want us med students to flood yet another forum with non-dentist issues), I figured I'd make one for the med students too. But just like the dental FB group, anyone is welcome! I think the reason they're separated out is maybe our questions regarding our separate professional tracks are similar on some issues and very divergent on others (e.g. the USMLE books ... are they covered by "Books" ?)

Join here if you're a scholar (even if you're not 2019 nor physician): Log into Facebook | Facebook

Last edited:
Congratulations on getting accepted into medical school! I would say the biggest advice that I got from previous scholars is to show that you are passionate about serving the underserved/rural through your essays. No one really knows what they look for in an applicant, but from what I can gather from previous threads is that the essays play the biggest role. It also helps significantly if you are from a disadvantage background. But there are plenty of people who get the scholarship without being from a disadvantage background, so it makes me believe that having a strong essay is a huge determining factor. Try to get really strong recommendations as well!

Best of luck!
Thanks so much for the wise words! That's kind of what I've gathered so I'm glad to hear I wasn't too far off. Also do you know if it matters where the references come from? Like if someone got a reference from a volunteer coordinator vs a professor or physician they shadow, if they might weigh that differently?

Thanks so much for the wise words! That's kind of what I've gathered so I'm glad to hear I wasn't too far off. Also do you know if it matters where the references come from? Like if someone got a reference from a volunteer coordinator vs a professor or physician they shadow, if they might weigh that differently?

I think one of your recommendations MUST be from a professor, or at least someone who can speak about your academics. I don't think they really care who you get the other one from, and I am not sure if they weigh one more than the other. I think what matters most is the content of the recommendation. I've seen someone who had a previous scholar write them a recommendation and didn't get the scholarship. So it's tough to say if it's weighed differently. For me, my second recommendation came from a mentor, who knew me really well, and knew about the volunteer activities and outreaches I've been on. I think it's important to ask someone who really know you so they can write you a strong letter of recommendation.

Hope this helps!

I think one of your recommendations MUST to be from a professor, or at least someone who can speak about your academics. I don't think they really care who you get the other one from, and I am not sure if they weigh one more than the other. I think what matters most is the content of the recommendation. I've seen someone who had a previous scholar write them a recommendation and didn't get the scholarship. So it's tough to say if it's weighed differently. For me, my second recommendation came from a mentor, who knew me really well, and knew about the volunteer activities and outreaches I've been on. I think it's important to ask someone who really know you so they can write you a strong letter of recommendation.

Hope this helps!
Thank you, it definitely does help!!

I think one of your recommendations MUST be from a professor, or at least someone who can speak about your academics. I don't think they really care who you get the other one from, and I am not sure if they weigh one more than the other. I think what matters most is the content of the recommendation. I've seen someone who had a previous scholar write them a recommendation and didn't get the scholarship. So it's tough to say if it's weighed differently. For me, my second recommendation came from a mentor, who knew me really well, and knew about the volunteer activities and outreaches I've been on. I think it's important to ask someone who really know you so they can write you a strong letter of recommendation.

Hope this helps!

Well said and I agree about someone able to speak on your academics. The Dean of Education did mine rather than a professor, so she could speak on something I failed and give the school’s support. My other one was my employer of five years (a dentist). Definitely personalized, quality letters. I think the essays/ letters matter more for this scholarship than professional school admittance so hand them a resume with your objective to make it as easy for them as possible.

Well said and I agree about someone able to speak on your academics. The Dean of Education did mine rather than a professor, so she could speak on something I failed and give the school’s support. My other one was my employer of five years (a dentist). Definitely personalized, quality letters. I think the essays/ letters matter more for this scholarship than professional school admittance so hand them a resume with your objective to make it as easy for them as possible.
Awesome, thank you for your input!

how will you know you received the scholarship? after school starts? i think thats a lil crazy?

Thank you. The best advice is that if you are truly passionate about serving in an underserved and underrepresented community it will show. Your passion will always be seen in your writing and also in what you do. In addition, the people that you choose to write your letters of recommendation should have seen this being demonstrated in some compacity. There is no real formula to this and I'm sure anyone will tell that because of the competitiveness of the scholarship. Give it your all and good luck.

Hey guys, did you guys just email the NHSC 2019 guidance for schools document to your school? Or are we supposed to wait for next steps email before we do that?

Just gave it to the financial aid. There is info for them to call NHSC.

After we log into the new portal do we have to do anything to confirm that we will be accepting the scholarship?

congrats to those countersigned!!
i was wondering if anyone received the reimbursement form for dental instruments and supplies that we already bought with loans?

Did anyone listen to the webinar that is found within the portal? It is from a year ago I believe. It has some good questions and answers at the end. Also, if you have time (barely), check the older forums. They give you a relative date of when the next steps take place. My go to has been the 2017-2018 class forum. They managed to capture the flow of things regarding the first pay and what is included with that initially. Hope this helps when you are taking a break from studying or finished.

Anyone know if there are HRSA NHSC conferences?

It seems like there were a long time ago. Would love to know more on the in's and out's of how to navigate and get money for Other Reasonable Cost and to meet some of my colleagues in this program!

Anyone know about how to get money for Other Reasonable Cost let me know! I had to pay for my own ipad and uniforms which all adds up.

Anyone know if there are HRSA NHSC conferences?

It seems like there were a long time ago. Would love to know more on the in's and out's of how to navigate and get money for Other Reasonable Cost and to meet some of my colleagues in this program!

Anyone know about how to get money for Other Reasonable Cost let me know! I had to pay for my own ipad and uniforms which all adds up.
They don’t do conferences anymore. ORC are set by the schools with their required fees. If it is on the list of things the NHSC will pay for, it should be given in your ORC payment without any further action from you. If it is not, people have said you can turn in your receipts and get I paid for. You won’t know until the end of Oct when you get your ORC payment.

Did anyone listen to the webinar that is found within the portal? It is from a year ago I believe. It has some good questions and answers at the end. Also, if you have time (barely), check the older forums. They give you a relative date of when the next steps take place. My go to has been the 2017-2018 class forum. They managed to capture the flow of things regarding the first pay and what is included with that initially. Hope this helps when you are taking a break from studying or finished.
How exactly did you find the webinar?

btw, (if you're no
How exactly did you find the webinar?

Here's the link!

Looks like our NHSC scholar webinar will be on October 10th, 2019 @ 3-4PM. Unfortunately I have lab at that time. do you guys think it will be recorded and posted?

Looks like our NHSC scholar webinar will be on October 10th, 2019 @ 3-4PM. Unfortunately I have lab at that time. do you guys think it will be recorded and posted?
My friend asked the question to NHSC and they said it will be recorded and be available after few days.

Does anyone know if we can submit a revision (forgot to include something) to our request for reimbursement for expenses if they have already been submitted by our financial aid coordinator?