NHSC Scholarship 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

  • Yes

    Votes: 121 62.4%
  • No

    Votes: 31 16.0%
  • Maybe

    Votes: 24 12.4%
  • already got it! :)

    Votes: 18 9.3%

  • Total voters
    194
Also does anyone know exactly will be reviewing our application, CV, essays? Who will be making the final say? Just curious.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I noticed that the Verification of Disadvantaged Background Status Form is optional. If my financial aid office determined me as NOT from a disadvantaged background, should I not even submit it? I feel as though it would only be beneficial towards my app if I was from a disadvantaged background
 
I've submitted mine just now 🙂 I was getting so nervous that my second letter writer wouldn't have their letter in, but luckily today it was uploaded. Whew!
 
just submitted my app. i'm looking through the view only pdf and it shows all the versions my recommender submitted. Should I call to keep the most updated one?
 
Am I the only one afraid that I missed some small instruction somewhere? I wish they would let you know instead of just throwing out your application. Oh and HEADS UP EVERYONE. I didn't see it at first, but you need to write your First and Last name, Discipline, and last 4 of your SS# at the top of each supporting document. It doesn't say anything about it in the application itself, but is mentioned in the application guide!
 
Hello, i know the deadline is today and i just have a quick question.

Im an upcoming D1 student and I would be qualified for a EFN status. I was trying to upload a document for it but i couldnt find any info about this on website. I called NHSC and they said being a EFN is not priority anymore. They only consider disadvantaged and commitment for underserved communitieis.

Is this true? Or did anyone submit the document for EFN?

Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Am I the only one afraid that I missed some small instruction somewhere? I wish they would let you know instead of just throwing out your application. Oh and HEADS UP EVERYONE. I didn't see it at first, but you need to write your First and Last name, Discipline, and last 4 of your SS# at the top of each supporting document. It doesn't say anything about it in the application itself, but is mentioned in the application guide!

They said we dont have to put SS# and do we have to put discipline on resume and everything?
 
They said we dont have to put SS# and do we have to put discipline on resume and everything?
When I called and asked they said I had to put all three on everything. That includes Acceptance Report, Authorization to Release, Essays, Resume, Proof of Citizenship, fee Schedule, and transcript.
 
Am I the only one afraid that I missed some small instruction somewhere? I wish they would let you know instead of just throwing out your application. Oh and HEADS UP EVERYONE. I didn't see it at first, but you need to write your First and Last name, Discipline, and last 4 of your SS# at the top of each supporting document. It doesn't say anything about it in the application itself, but is mentioned in the application guide!
Glad you said that, but now I have to rescan and upload all my supporting documents.
 
Hello, i know the deadline is today and i just have a quick question.

Im an upcoming D1 student and I would be qualified for a EFN status. I was trying to upload a document for it but i couldnt find any info about this on website. I called NHSC and they said being a EFN is not priority anymore. They only consider disadvantaged and commitment for underserved communitieis.

Is this true? Or did anyone submit the document for EFN?

Thank you!
Yes it is true that EFN is no longer a priority. If you read the official guide, you’ll find a lot of helpful information.
 
When I called and asked they said I had to put all three on everything. That includes Acceptance Report, Authorization to Release, Essays, Resume, Proof of Citizenship, fee Schedule, and transcript.

then i am rescanning everything now 🙂 how do we put our information on passport though? I thought during webinar, we do not have put on there ! is it right?
 
then i am rescanning everything now 🙂 how do we put our information on passport though? I thought during webinar, we do not have put on there ! is it right?
Following for answer, I don’t want to write on my birth certificate
 
I called three different times and got three different answers. There seems to be a lack of communication on that issue. What I did was made a cover letter of my name, discipline, last four of SSN, and application number and attached that to the beginning of each document.
 
just called and yeah, you need to include Your full name, last 4 digits of SSN, and your discipline. You don't have to write on your Proof of Citizenship, just have a piece of paper or edit a text box next to it with the info.
 
We dont have to do anything after submitting our application right? Im just freaking out and i dont wanna do anything anymore with this lol
 
i submitted with my name, application ID, and discipline on top. i was explicitly told that "authorization to release information" is the only doc that requires SSN. that being said, i also got 3 different answers on how to show my GPA on my transcript (my school doesnt calculate a GPA), and 2 different answers on the 2500 characters/500 words debacle. godspeed!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
About to submit but quick question: For Verification of Disadvantaged Status, it says for criteria: Individual comes from a family that receives government assistance. Do you specifically have to be receiving that as well or is it a literal “Comes from a family that receives.” Since I’m away at university I currently do not but have in the past. Don’t know if I should upload the form or not :/
 
About to submit but quick question: For Verification of Disadvantaged Status, it says for criteria: Individual comes from a family that receives government assistance. Do you specifically have to be receiving that as well or is it a literal “Comes from a family that receives.” Since I’m away at university I currently do not but have in the past. Don’t know if I should upload the form or not :/
If your school signed the form, and stated that you ARE from disadvantaged background, I would upload it. The rest is for them to figure out.
 
then i am rescanning everything now 🙂 how do we put our information on passport though? I thought during webinar, we do not have put on there ! is it right?
Following for answer, I don’t want to write on my birth certificate

If you don't want to write on your documents, what I did was write my name, discipline, and last 4 digits of my SSN on a post-it and stuck it somewhere on the document. That way I could just transfer the post-it from one document to the next as I scanned.
 
What if we didn't include our SS and discipline on the supporting documents? Is our application ineligible? I'm really hoping that small detail wont cause my app to get thrown out.
 
What if we didn't include our SS and discipline on the supporting documents? Is our application ineligible? I'm really hoping that small detail wont cause my app to get thrown out.
During the webinar, they stated that the info was only required on the authorization form. However, in the guide it states that it must be on ALL supporting documents. 2/3 times I asked, they said to include the info on all documents. The only thing I know for sure is that you won’t be penalized for including it on everything. I highly doubt they’d screen out your application for something so minor that they were not clear about. Similar to the essay length debate (500 words/2500 characters), I don’t think anyone honestly knows the real answer or if it is even significant. Nothing you can do now I suppose.
 
What if we didn't include our SS and discipline on the supporting documents? Is our application ineligible? I'm really hoping that small detail wont cause my app to get thrown out.

For me, i included everything on every document, except for document that was written from schools. When i called them, I asked them if i could write on the document that came from school, they said just leave it as it is. So im not sure, but it has my ss# and name and only thing it was missing was my discipline. I honestly dont think its a big deal
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For reference, here is a list of the dates (as recorded by SDN users) for updates on the scholarship last year.
Credit Check: Shown on credit report from "Credco"
1st round - July 17
2nd round - Aug 3
Finalist Notification: Recipients received an email to check portal for an update
1st round - Aug 8
2nd round - Aug 13
3rd round - Aug 16
Counter-signature Notification: After downloading a copy of the contract, it was signed by Jamie King
Sept 14

Keep in mind these dates will likely be a week or 2 earlier than ours because their deadline to submit was a week earlier. Wishing everyone the best of luck! :highfive:
 
Last edited:
Does this scholarship just pay for tuition & fees, and not living expenses like rent, etc? I'm aware of the monthly stipend but just wanted to be sure.
Also, is there a way to see the statistics? In other words how many people receive the scholarship vs how many apply. Thanks!