NHSC Scholarship 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 121 62.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • already got it! :)

Votes: 18 9.3%

• Total voters
Does this scholarship just pay for tuition & fees, and not living expenses like rent, etc? I'm aware of the monthly stipend but just wanted to be sure.
Also, is there a way to see the statistics? In other words how many people receive the scholarship vs how many apply. Thanks!

This scholarship is tuition and fees, a yearly “books/supplies stipend” and a monthly “living stipend”. The monthly stipend this yr is $1383, which CAN go towards living expenses. According to one of their webinars, approx 155 awards will be given this year (out of over 2000 apps)—historical acceptances vs applicants were around 8-10% (i think they used to report this in their program guide, but i can no longer find the chart that says this)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anybody starting class soon? I will have started before credit checks begin :(

Anybody starting class soon? I will have started before credit checks begin :(
Our orientation starts July 23, classes begin July 29th. I’ve gotten all my financial aid done to go ahead and start with loans...if I get this I’ll be ecstatic, but I’m not stressing over it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Our orientation starts July 23, classes begin July 29th. I’ve gotten all my financial aid done to go ahead and start with loans...if I get this I’ll be ecstatic, but I’m not stressing over it.
Same. That’s the best mindset to have.

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone received the scholarship who didn't put their name, social and applicant id on the supporting documents! Just realized we were supposed to and now I'm super nervous I won't be in the running. Thanks!

As I am trying to set up an account with credit karma to see receive notifications about a credit check I am unable to create an account. I am afraid that I may not have a credit score yet (I am a recent grad). Anyone have any experience with this? I am wondering if it will be seen as a negative thing on their side if I don’t have a score at all. Thanks!!

As I am trying to set up an account with credit karma to see receive notifications about a credit check I am unable to create an account. I am afraid that I may not have a credit score yet (I am a recent grad). Anyone have any experience with this? I am wondering if it will be seen as a negative thing on their side if I don’t have a score at all. Thanks!!
You may have a score. If you’ve ever had a loan or credit card, you have one. I really don’t think it would be an issue if you didn’t though. From what I understand, they are looking for defaulted loans and other bad marks on your credit score.
Side note: I would recommend starting to build your credit. You’ll need it later in life. Just get a credit card and only use it for gas or something that you know you’ll never miss a payment on.

Last edited:
You may have a score. If you’ve ever had a loan or credit card, you have one. I really don’t think it would be an issue if you didn’t though. From what I understand, they are looking for defaulted loans and other bad marks on your credit score.
Side note: I would recommend starting to build your credit. You’ll need it later in life. Just get a credit card and only use it for gas or something that you know you’ll never miss a payment on.
Second this. To build credit automatically without stressing about it, get a credit card, put some small recurring charge on it, like your $9.99/mo Hulu account, then set up automatic draft through your bank to pay off the balance every month. Every year or so, request a credit line increase, but don’t increase your spending.

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone received the scholarship who didn't put their name, social and applicant id on the supporting documents! Just realized we were supposed to and now I'm super nervous I won't be in the running. Thanks!
did you try calling customer support and asking if they'll still consider the application?

Yes I did, and they said it may hurt, it may not, it completely depends on who reads your application!

Yikes, that's concerning.. But I read from the Q&A sessions that only name and concentration was needed on the documents, so that's what I did. Hopefully it won't disqualify us. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone receive a credit check yet? Not much activity on this page! Haha

Haven't heard anything yet. I told myself I wouldn't obsess over this the same way I did with school applications... Yet here I am...

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I have been low-key worrying that I haven't gotten any information yet. I was thinking some of us would know, especially since schools about to start back up soon and all the financial aid money will be moving fast to pay for these things. But glad to see I'm not the only one!

LOL same thing, I obsessed over applications for school and told myself to kickback and hope for then best!

edit: Noticed this is under the dental forums, is this the same for medical students or is there another forum for the NHSC for us?
I’ve been telling myself that we won’t know anything before Sept 30th, so that way I won’t stress about it. Not like anything can be done by us at this point except wait. All my loan paperwork is already filled out, I’m officially in massive debt now.

There's really no point in stressing/obsessing about it. It's out of our hands. I started school yesterday so that'll keep my mind off of it. Hoping to forget about it until September and maybe I'll get a welcome surprise.

Reactions: 3 users
I just got notified about credit check from credco but im not 100% sure if this is from them though.. finger crossed

I did as well! Does anyone know if everyone who applies receives a credit check?

Hi guys. Where did you see your notification about the credit check - credit karma? Thanks!

Hi guys. Where did you see your notification about the credit check - credit karma? Thanks!
Yes. I got an email from Credit Karma letting me know someone checked. I followed the link in the email and it showed it was from Credco.

I received an email from Credit Karma, the actual program didn't notify me; it should denote on your report as a "hard inquiry".

I wonder how they select following the credit check; so if the credit check is the second step, say your credit score is stellar, are you considered further? Thanks.

Anyone else NOT get their credit checked as of recently? Can anyone confirm whether everyone gets it checked or not? I did receive an email today from credit karma..but it was just for me to check my score and not because someone checked it :/ I can't help but think that if I didnt get a credit inquiry im not on the possible list of recipients.

Reactions: 2 users
Got my credit checked as well by credco this morning

Anyone else NOT get their credit checked as of recently? Can anyone confirm whether everyone gets it checked or not? I did receive an email today from credit karma..but it was just for me to check my score and not because someone checked it :/ I can't help but think that if I didnt get a credit inquiry im not on the possible list of recipients.
Hang in there. From what I saw last year there were a couple days when they checked. You’re not out of the running.

I wonder how they select following the credit check; so if the credit check is the second step, say your credit score is stellar, are you considered further? Thanks.
Excellent question. I wouldn’t think you’d need stellar credit. Just can’t have any defaults or collections. We will probably never know though.

Received a credit check from Credco yesterday, too! Hang in there, everyone! :)

My understanding is that you cannot have unpaid debts to the government, such as back taxes.

Hey! I'm a med student applicant to the scholarship and just got a credit check as well. Sorry to be lurking in a dental forum. Is the credit check a good sign? Read mixed things about it online.

Credit Check by Credco on the 15th of July! So, does this mean we have a pretty good shot of becoming a finalist? Or do the majority of applicants get credit checks?

Hey! I'm a med student applicant to the scholarship and just got a credit check as well. Sorry to be lurking in a dental forum. Is the credit check a good sign? Read mixed things about it online.
Good thing? Not sure. It is the next step in the process however.

For reference, here is a list of the dates (as recorded by SDN users) for updates on the scholarship last year.
Credit Check: Shown on credit report from "Credco"
1st round - July 17
2nd round - Aug 3
Finalist Notification: Recipients received an email to check portal for an update
1st round - Aug 8
2nd round - Aug 13
3rd round - Aug 16
Counter-signature Notification: After downloading a copy of the contract, it was signed by Jamie King
Sept 14

Keep in mind these dates will likely be a week or 2 earlier than ours because their deadline to submit was a week earlier. Wishing everyone the best of luck! :highfive:
bump

Reactions: 4 users
I got an inquiry yesterday as well!

Basically any credit monitoring service. Karma though is where mine showed up.

Do the potential candidates go through both credit checks, or are they divided between the two?