NHSC Scholarship 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 204 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 12.9%
  • Already got it!

Votes: 31 10.0%

• Total voters
Hey guys I just joined the sdn but I applied this year and got the finalist email last Wednesday! Sorry to be late to the party but I’m willing to give input and answer questions if anyone wants.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh and I’m a first year applicant and a D1 student.

I also received the finalist email last 8/20 at 12am.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know this might be cliche, but my biggest advice would be to genuinely assess yourself. There are so many applicants vying for so few scholarship slots, that the best thing you can do is try to convey your extracurriculars, service-minded outlook, and commitments to academic/professional excellence in less of an informative and more of a narrative manner. Weave your explanations of how your experiences qualify you in and out of personal anecdotes, and don't be afraid to lean into your hardships/stumbles. Focus less on a laundry list of accolades and more on how one personal skill or experience has helped you to overcome a certain challenge. The NHSC knows that no applicant is perfect, so an applicant who only touts their acheivements and looks perfect on-paper -- rather than portraying themselves as human (i.e., flawed, but working through life best they know how) -- will likely come across as disingenuous rather than prepared/thorough. Plus, you don't have to input your MCAT/DAT scores, so they're obviously more concerned about what you stand for and why and less about what you've done.

Additionally, I don't know if they even read it, but I uploaded a cover letter in the section titled "Additional Supporting Documents" -- really intended for uploading documents explaining prior service obligations (i.e., HPSP, state-subsidized contract) and other administrative items that may affect your ability to fulfill your contractual requirements. But there was nothing in the rules that expressly stated you can't attach an additional explication of yourself. I found the essay questions very focalized, so I used this cover letter to expound on the idea that,, while any health professional should strive to give the best care regardless of their financial circumstances, the NHSC SP would grant me the mental and financial freedom to truly hone my empathy and patient-centered philosophy, rather than constantly thinking about how much I "need to make back" to pay off my loans. I'm a D1, finalist for a 4-year award. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for sharing a thoughtful and in depth answer on how we can improve our chances! It is definitely helpful to me as someone who will continue to keep applying for the next 2-3 years.

• Care
When do you believe they will release another round of finalists? I

When do you believe they will release another round of finalists? I
Seems to be one per week, so hopefully this week! Historically, three finalist sessions. Two more to go?

Reactions: 1 users
Were all of the finalists able to get their paperwork back from the school?

I contacted our financial aid office and they did it all for me.
Also just some advice if you get the award. Immediately contact your financial aid office and see what they need from you. They said to let them know and they will ask for some documents and they will take care of the rest so we all don't have to stress about how to return the loans.

Were all of the finalists able to get their paperwork back from the school?

Thankfully I was able to. I agree it was a really short window and making it over a weekend didn’t help. Looks like they’re trying to get everything done ASAP. The NHSC SP emailed me the day after submitting everything and sent another form that I had to fill out, a Summer 2020 EVF form. So anyone who took/is taking summer classes, expect to receive that form shortly after submitting everything else. It also require a school officials signature. It’s similar to the original EVF form, but you must include your latest unofficial transcripts when you send it back to them.

Any chance they are notifying finalists by practice (PAs, nurses, dental, MDs etc) or has it been a mix so far?

Thankfully I was able to. I agree it was a really short window and making it over a weekend didn’t help. Looks like they’re trying to get everything done ASAP. The NHSC SP emailed me the day after submitting everything and sent another form that I had to fill out, a Summer 2020 EVF form. So anyone who took/is taking summer classes, expect to receive that form shortly after submitting everything else. It also require a school officials signature. It’s similar to the original EVF form, but you must include your latest unofficial transcripts when you send it back to them.

Yikes, I didn't get the summer 2020 EVF form. I indicated on the Fall 2020 form that I took summer courses and submitted those initial documents on the 20th...

Yikes, I didn't get the summer 2020 EVF form. I indicated on the Fall 2020 form that I took summer courses and submitted those initial documents on the 20th...

Same with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
what year are you? cause im a D1 so if they asked for an unofficial transcript, i wouldn't have anything on it. so maybe thats why i wasnt contacted about that?

Finalist email received. Uploaded confirmation of interest documents only to realize that my electronic signature did not upload on my W4. I contacted the help desk and was informed that my request to update my W4 would have to be escalated directly to the scholarship program. A response could take 3-5 days according to the rep. Has anyone else had to request to amend uploaded documents? If so, was the process prompt? Also, could this disqualify me?

i would be shocked if that disqualified you but im not sure. i tried to edit one form but they said i couldn't cause it was after the deadline. but im not sure in this situation.

what year are you? cause im a D1 so if they asked for an unofficial transcript, i wouldn't have anything on it. so maybe thats why i wasnt contacted about that?

I’m a 2nd year dental student so I’m a finalist for the 3 year scholarship. I should have made that clear in my previous post!

Reactions: 2 users
I got the finalist email last week. This was my second time applying so I am super grateful for this opportunity! Question for other finalist - does our school need to sign the EVF for new awardees?

I got the finalist email last week. This was my second time applying so I am super grateful for this opportunity! Question for other finalist - does our school need to sign the EVF for new awardees?

The EVF form had to be completed/signed by the school and returned by a certain date...is that what you’re asking?

if i didnt get an email yet, does that mean i didnt get selected?

If you didn't get a finalist email this round, i think you still have a chance. it seems like in past years there were atleast 2 rounds of notifications (sometimes 3 rounds) depending on how many applicants didn't respond to the first round. Anything can really happen and i would keep looking out for something but just know the chances are slim. But keep your head up and if it doesn't happen this year, just reapply next year. Thats what I'm planning on if i don't happen to get it this year.

If you didn't get a finalist email this round, i think you still have a chance. it seems like in past years there were atleast 2 rounds of notifications (sometimes 3 rounds) depending on how many applicants didn't respond to the first round. Anything can really happen and i would keep looking out for something but just know the chances are slim. But keep your head up and if it doesn't happen this year, just reapply next year. Thats what I'm planning on if i don't happen to get it this year.

I agree with @drhhdds! I wouldn't say you're out until countersignatures start coming out.

Hey guys so i thought i would add some info that i just found out and i tagged @caloc cause i know he had a similar question. so my financial aid officer told me to put a check mark on the Finalist EVF for Fall 2020 where is asked if you took classes over the summer. @taote.niho did this and got a quick response because he needed to fill a EVF for summer of 2020 with an unofficial academic transcript.

I was confused cause i am a D1 but my school started earlier in the summer and although we are in the fall semester, i am still talking summer quarter classes. so i called the NHSC to asked them about this and i just got another email asking me to send in a EVF Summer 2020. So if you are in a similar situation, then call and ask them to send you the form. Im still figuring things out because i am a D1 student and i looked up my unofficial transcript and it literally has nothing on it since i just started.

anyways, I'm figuring out this mess I'm in but i thought i would pass on the information for those who have to do the same as what I did!

Hello, first year PA student here. I am a first round finalist, similar situation my program started back in January so I checked yes that I did summer courses. I just gave them a call and she said that I did not need to fill out a summer EVF since I already clarified that I did summer classes, she just said they would look at my loans thus far and pay everything July and after in this case. But it would not hurt to call to make sure if anyone else is in this situation!

I'm a third year and I indicated that I took summer courses. I gave NHSC a call asking about the summer evf which I did not receive an email about. They escalated the issue but I haven't gotten a response back. Please let me know if you have a similar situation! Kinda stressing out about not receiving an email haha

I'm a third year and I indicated that I took summer courses. I gave NHSC a call asking about the summer evf which I did not receive an email about. They escalated the issue but I haven't gotten a response back. Please let me know if you have a similar situation! Kinda stressing out about not receiving an email haha
When did you call? I called yesterday and they didn’t get an email to me till 24 hours later so, I imagine that it will be coming.

When did you call? I called yesterday and they didn’t get an email to me till 24 hours later so, I imagine that it will be coming.

I called yesterday as well! I followed up today and was told that they could take 3-5 days to respond. Can't help but think I did something wrong along the way, but hopefully it comes soon!

I called yesterday as well! I followed up today and was told that they could take 3-5 days to respond. Can't help but think I did something wrong along the way, but hopefully it comes soon!
No i think you're good. they said the same thing to me about being 3-5 days but i got it after 1 day so it should be coming soon.

Does it say this at the bottom of anyone else's application when they view their application? I am all in my head and freaking out

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 5.04.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 5.04.51 PM.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 138

Hi! I'm new to SDN- I'm an NP student, I also received the finalist email last week, and submitted my documents on Friday 8/21 late afternoon. I saw in this thread about the summer EVF form, so called the NHSC customer service today and the person I talked to said he didn't know of any such form. He talked to his supervisor who told me there is no other form for me to fill out right now, and that if I receive the award through getting a countersignature then the NHSC will ensure I get reimbursed for my coursework starting in July. Was worried about what this meant since others have gotten the form, and thought (okay, panicked a little) that maybe I was out of the running, however 2 hours later I got an email from NHSC with the summer EVF form- so don't worry (and don't become an anxious mess like I did)- I'm sure yours will be coming too! Glad to meet everyone!

Does it say this at the bottom of anyone else's application when they view their application? I am all in my head and freaking out

Mine says this too and I'm a finalist soooo...not sure what it means

Did any of the finalist submit their W4 & EVF with their last name, SS# & discipline on the top like we had to for the application documents? I was just thinking about this and curious if we were supposed to for these new documents because I definitely didn't...

Did any of the finalist submit their W4 & EVF with their last name, SS# & discipline on the top like we had to for the application documents? I was just thinking about this and curious if we were supposed to for these new documents because I definitely didn't...
For the W-4 i put my social and full name. for the EVF i had my full name and discipline. i feel like those are necessary for the W-4 but maybe not super required for the EVF? not sure though

For the W-4 i put my social and full name. for the EVF i had my full name and discipline. i feel like those are necessary for the W-4 but maybe not super required for the EVF? not sure though

I mean I know the W4 form itself required name & social, while the EVF required name & discipline...I just didn't have all 3 on the top like previously so naturally I'm anxious about it

I mean I know the W4 form itself required name & social, while the EVF required name & discipline...I just didn't have all 3 on the top like previously so naturally I'm anxious about it
Oh! no i didn't do that ether and i wouldn't worry about. i feel like if there was an issue then they would've said something.

Any guesses on when the second round of emails will go out? lol
The deadline for the first round of finalists was yesterday. at least thats what it was for me... so i imagine later this week or next week.

I just got a finalist notification at 5:00 pm today! So excited! Only issue is my school officials will not be in the entire week due to hurricane laura. Terrible timing lol!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I just got a finalist notification at 5:00 pm today! So excited! Only issue is my school officials will not be in the entire week due to hurricane laura. Terrible timing lol!

We have movement! Congratulations, bust down the doors to get that form completed! ¨̮ What's your deadline?

We have movement! Congratulations, bust down the doors to get that form completed! ¨̮ What's your deadline?

My deadline is this Saturday and school is closed until Friday of course! But I called and am trying to see if I can upload an enrollment verification form that I am actually able to automatically generate through my programs portal and it has everything they need. Fingers crossed I get a response soon but for now I have to wait more lol!

I am a first year PA student btw!

My deadline is this Saturday and school is closed until Friday of course! But I called and am trying to see if I can upload an enrollment verification form that I am actually able to automatically generate through my programs portal and it has everything they need. Fingers crossed I get a response soon but for now I have to wait more lol!

I am a first year PA student btw!
Congrats, man! Thats so awesome! I hope you're able to figure that out!

Congratulations!! What time zone are you in?

I also got a finalist notification at 5:00pm CT today! Keep holding on to hope guys :) This was my second time applying.

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations!! What time zone are you in?
I got the notification at 5:00 pm central time! Keep holding out hope, I pretty much had lost all hope and was super bummed last week. This just shows they are sending more rounds out!

I got the notification at 5:00 pm central time! Keep holding out hope, I pretty much had lost all hope and was super bummed last week. This just shows they are sending more rounds out!
I can only hope!! It would be a life changer for me and the mission is something I hold so dear to my heart. I'm a first year PA student as well.

I just got emailed the summer EVF form, my program started back and January so should I check summer, fall, spring, winter for the “select all terms enrolled for entire school year”?

I just got emailed the summer EVF form, my program started back and January so should I check summer, fall, spring, winter for the “select all terms enrolled for entire school year”?
I would ask your financial advisor. Mine only selected summer even though its year-round