NHSC Scholarship 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 204 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 12.9%
  • Already got it!

Votes: 31 10.0%

• Total voters
thank you! Even our own signatures are allowed to be electronic, or just the recommenders/school representatives?
They said both

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The portal isn't working for me. is there anyone experiencing the same problem?

It happens all the time with the NHSC. Just give it a few days and it will be back to normal
IMG_9585.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)
on the guide is states, "The letter must have a handwritten or digital signature and be on letterhead (the letter should have the name, phone number mailing address and email address of the recommender if recommender has no formal letterhead). If the requirements are not met the applicant will be deemed ineligible."

i just realized my LOR put her email at the bottom of the letter, not on the letterhead at the top. should i have her resubmit it so that the email is shown on top? is she even able to resubmit the LOR?

Hey guys, I have a question regarding the essays. Should we be including the prompts for the essays in each one?

It says if no formal letterhead then they need all that information. If your letter has a letterhead then you are good
so i do have all of that info on the letter however specifically the email is written at the end of the letter, not at the top where she put the rest of her information.

Hello everyone, I'm going over all my documents and had a quick question regarding my undergrad transcript. On the NHSC guide it states:

"An unofficial transcript is acceptable and must display the applicant name, school name, and grade point average (GPA). Also, the transcript must have at least 1 full year worth of grades."

My issue is that my college transcript does not display my calculated GPA (we had to calculate it ourselves). Should I add a textbox with my GPA on the document or leave it as is? I do not want to be disqualified for something such as this. Thanks

Anyone know what should be on the header of the essays besides name and the essay number?

Hello everyone, I'm going over all my documents and had a quick question regarding my undergrad transcript. On the NHSC guide it states:

"An unofficial transcript is acceptable and must display the applicant name, school name, and grade point average (GPA). Also, the transcript must have at least 1 full year worth of grades."

My issue is that my college transcript does not display my calculated GPA (we had to calculate it ourselves). Should I add a textbox with my GPA on the document or leave it as is? I do not want to be disqualified for something such as this. Thanks
If I were you, I would try to get the official transcript as long as it has the calculated GPA. If you don't think you have enough time to request the official transcript, then I would add the calculated GPA on the unofficial one because I don't think they have time to calculate it for you

If I were you, I would try to get the official transcript as long as it has the calculated GPA. If you don't think you have enough time to request the official transcript, then I would add the calculated GPA on the unofficial one because I don't think they have time to calculate it for you
Thanks for the input, the transcript that I uploaded IS an official transcript! I did find a section on my college's website where they state that they don't calculate GPA's (which is why no calculated GPA is present even on my official transcripts, just the grades).

I attached an additional document explaining my situation and included the screenshot/link of my college's website, along with my calculated GPA (didn't want to include it on the official transcript itself for fear of being disqualified). Fingers crossed that they are understanding :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I added my application ID.
Also, I signed each essay at the bottom
It didn’t ask for that though did it? I found this on the portal for prospective students “Each document must include your name, discipline and the last four digits of your social security number.”

It didn’t ask for that though did it? I found this on the portal for prospective students “Each document must include your name, discipline and the last four digits of your social security number.”
Where did you see that? I looked at the pdf of the application guide and it never stated this. Or at least I never found anything that stated that.

I just wanted to take a moment to wish you all the best of luck! You have accomplished a great feat by merely applying. The scholarship is truly life-changing, but regardless of the decision, know that you are worthy. Also, last year we heard back around September time, so in the meantime, enjoy life and keep an eye on your emails! ❤️

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Hey guys, did anyone get a confirmation email after submitting the application?

Hi everyone! I was looking through past emails and saw this in one of my NHSC emails “NHSC recently received an additional $800 million in funding through the Biden Administration's American Rescue Plan. This means we will award more scholarships to students and clinicians this year than ever before.”

I hope that we all hear some good news!

Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone! I was looking through past emails and saw this in one of my NHSC emails “NHSC recently received an additional $800 million in funding through the Biden Administration's American Rescue Plan. This means we will award more scholarships to students and clinicians this year than ever before.”

I hope that we all hear some good news!
Well, I f-ing hope that's true!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys so I know that they will start running credit checks on all applicants in the next couple of weeks. I don’t have credit under my name as I’ve never had a credit card. I ran multiple credit checks under my name and there is none. Does that put me at a disadvantage for receiving the reward? Does anyone know of anyone who got accepted for the scholarship without credit?

Is there an interview for the scholarship, or do they make decisions off the application alone?

Does anyone know how many people apply in total and if the scholarship is split evenly between each discipline?

Last edited:
Do they reach out to the people that wrote our recommendations?

Hey guys,
Does anyone have a timeline of when we should hear back?

I received a notification from Experian - "NHSC LRP/SP/HRSA got a copy of your Experian Credit Report."
I received an email from Experian with the Subject: Your credit file has been updated and then in the email is says Credit file inquiry and when I click See details I am directed to the sign in page and then I see this same notification! Not sure if its because I primarily use Experian instead of credit karma that they were the ones to notify me

I received an email from Experian with the Subject: Your credit file has been updated and then in the email is says Credit file inquiry and when I click See details I am directed to the sign in page and then I see this same notification! Not sure if its because I primarily use Experian instead of credit karma that they were the ones to notify me

I don’t have Experian but I have Credit Karma and Equifax and didn’t see anything. I imagine it would’ve updated at those as well if I had gotten a check, though. Thanks for the info!

Chase just notified me as well! And it shows that NHSC did a credit check.😍

I don’t have Experian but I have Credit Karma and Equifax and didn’t see anything. I imagine it would’ve updated at those as well if I had gotten a check, though. Thanks for the info!
I have Credit Karma, and I just made Experian account because I was curious. Apparently, I got the credit inquiry from HRSA according to Experian, but doesn't show up on Credit Karma. Funny thing is that I got credit inquiry from Department of Education back in May, but it only shows up on Credit Karma, but nothing on Experian. If you are really curious, you might wanna make Experian account.

Reactions: 2 users
I have Credit Karma, and I just made Experian account because I was curious. Apparently, I got the credit inquiry from HRSA according to Experian, but doesn't show up on Credit Karma. Funny thing is that I got credit inquiry from Department of Education back in May, but it only shows up on Credit Karma, but nothing on Experian. If you are really curious, you might wanna make Experian account.

Thanks, I’ll do that!

Also see the credit check on Experian but not on the others. Just so nobody takes this too seriously: i got the credit check last season and did not receive the scholarship. It does seem like they may run it on all applicants.

For those confused about the credit checks -- they would not show up on both Experian and Credit Karma. Experian, Equifax, and Transunion are three seperate credit bureaus and so when HRSA pulls credit, they do so from any one of them. It would only show up on the credit bureau they pull from. Experian app shows Experian's file. CK shows Equifax and Transunion. Since it seems they are using Experian this year, you would need that app to check. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 2 users
I have Chase as well, and I was notified of me of the credit check NHSC ran on me.

Did you guys have an account with Experian/Credit Karma beforehand?