NHSC Scholarship 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 204 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 12.9%
  • Already got it!

Votes: 31 10.0%

• Total voters
If you look at the application overview pdf, you will be able to see the application questions!
oh snap! thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
if my application has not changed within the last year should I even re-write my essays? i applied for 4 year last year, didnt get it and so now im in my D1 year and going to apply again. The only thing that is going to change is that I am going to try and get a dental school professor letter of rec.

if my application has not changed within the last year should I even re-write my essays? i applied for 4 year last year, didnt get it and so now im in my D1 year and going to apply again. The only thing that is going to change is that I am going to try and get a dental school professor letter of rec.
You should see where you can strengthen your application. Maybe you can edit your essays even if the content is the same

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What if your name changed between your transcript and submitting this application?

Hi everyone I understand that there are letters of recommendation that are needed and I am wondering if it's okay to get one from a dentist I shadowed ( non-academic) and a professor (academic) ?

Hi everyone I understand that there are letters of recommendation that are needed and I am wondering if it's okay to get one from a dentist I shadowed ( non-academic) and a professor (academic) ?
"The [non-academic] recommendation letter should be from an individual who is familiar with the applicant’s professional, community, and/or civic activities, especially those related to underserved communities."

Can the dentist speak to any of this?

Also, should the letters be signed AND have a letterhead ?
Yes, signed and letterhead but the signature can be an electronic signature.

"e. Letters of Recommendation. Applicants are required to submit two (2) letters of recommendation, one academic and one non-academic. All recommendations must be completed online through the online application portal. Recommendations should include a description of the recommender’s relationship to the applicant, and a discussion of: the applicant’s education/work achievements; ability to work and communicate constructively; and an assessment of the applicant’s characteristics, interest, and motivation to serve populations in areas in HPSAs. This assessment should include knowledge of the applicant’s work experiences, pertinent course work, special projects, research or other activities that demonstrate an interest in and commitment to serving underserved populations.

Academic Letter of Recommendation: If the applicant is currently enrolled in the health professions training program, the recommendation letter should be from the Department Chair, faculty advisor, or a faculty member of that academic program who can attest to the applicant’s qualifications. If the applicant has not begun the training associated with the scholarship, the letter should be from the Department Chair, faculty advisor, or a faculty member of the applicant’s most recent academic program. The letter must have a handwritten or digital signature and be on the institution’s letterhead. If the requirements are not met the applicant will be deemed ineligible.

Non-Academic Letter of Recommendation: The recommendation letter should be from an individual who is familiar with the applicant’s professional, community, and/or civic activities, especially those related to underserved communities. The recommender can be an employer or previous employer, community leader, colleague, or anyone who has knowledge of the applicant’s interest and motivation to provide care to underserved communities. The recommender must not be a family member. The letter must have a handwritten or digital signature and be on letterhead (the letter should have the name, phone number mailing address and email address of the recommender if recommender has no formal letterhead). If the requirements are not met the applicant will be deemed ineligible."

Reactions: 1 users
"The [non-academic] recommendation letter should be from an individual who is familiar with the applicant’s professional, community, and/or civic activities, especially those related to underserved communities."

Can the dentist speak to any of this?
Thank you for the info!! And yes, my dentist has known me for years now so he is familiar with my willingness to help the underserved.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! I am applying this cycle and was wondering if yall have any tips.

Should I write the 3 essays with a similar tone to a personal statement with small anecdotes? What does a successful applicant look like? Thank you!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys!
For those who have received the scholarship and are currently in the work force are you glad you got the opportunity? What is it like? Do you get to choose which state/ site to work at?

Also, do you need to recieve all A’s while in your professional school to remain elligible for the funds?

Thank you!

I applied last year but I can't remember, what are the items that need to be listed at the top of every document that you submit? If I remember right it was: Name, discipline, and last 4 # of SSN.

For the Acceptance Report, will our Decision or Acceptance Letter be enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the Acceptance Report, will our Decision or Acceptance Letter be enough?
No need to submit your acceptance letter. Just have a school official fill out the Acceptance Report/Verification of Good Standing document that's on the NHSC portal.

You put in your letter writer's emails and then they get an email. I'm in close contact with both of my writers and they both received the email for it already.
Do you know if we can use Interfolio to send the lor or does it have to come directly from recommender

Do you know if we can use Interfolio to send the lor or does it have to come directly from recommender
Sorry, I’m not sure if letters can be sent through Interfolio. The portal asked to write the name of letter writer and their email address and then click the “Send Request?” button. A link then gets sent to the writer/recommender to submit the letter. With Interfolio, I’m assuming you will have to send yourself the link from the portal? I’m not sure how that would look so maybe it would be best to call NHSC.

I applied last year but I can't remember, what are the items that need to be listed at the top of every document that you submit? If I remember right it was: Name, discipline, and last 4 # of SSN.
Hi, I’m not sure if this is a requirement this year as I can not find this on the application guide? It was on page 41 last year and isn’t there this year.
Also do the recommendation letters need to have these items too?

Hi, I’m not sure if this is a requirement this year as I can not find this on the application guide? It was on page 41 last year and isn’t there this year.
Also do the recommendation letters need to have these items too?
No because they shouldn’t have access to your last 4 SSN.

Hi guys, do we have to put our information on top of every document? I looked on the nhsc guide but I can't seem to find that?

anyone know if the essays should be a certain font/size/spacing? do we also need to have our name or id number on it or something? thanks in advance

tried looking for that too, cant seem to find it.
I think if it’s been a thing for the past few years, it may be best to do it. We just need to put our first and last name, last 4 of SSN and professional program.

Does anyone have any idea on the "Statement Regarding Existing Service Obligation" form?

According to their website, its a statement from the entity for which you have an existing service obligation stating that:
  • There is no potential conflict in fulfilling the NHSC SP obligation; and
  • You will serve the NHSC SP obligation first.

If someone could explain what this is I would really appreciate it!

do we have to name the supporting documents a certain way? i know they have to be pdf but not sure if they want it to be titled a specific order

Do you think that they turn down certain applicants who go to more expensive schools since the amount of rewards and funding is limited. In the attachment it says the average funding for an applicant was around 200k. I got this information from the HRSA budget justification from last year. I feel like it would be in there best interest to not accept applicants from high tuition schools. Did anyone who goes to an expensive school receive the scholarship?
I thought the same thing. I was going to attend a VERY expensive school and I thought they wouldn't even look at me because of it but to my surprise, I got the scholarship covering my entire education.

Now, I'm not sure if the school you attend has absolutely no impact in your acceptance. Maybe from a cheaper program they can pick 10 applicants but from an expensive one they can only can accept 3? so maybe the competition is more challenging at expensive schools?

I'm honestly not sure but just know, they don't really look at it that much and you still do have a chance.

Do you think that they turn down certain applicants who go to more expensive schools since the amount of rewards and funding is limited. In the attachment it says the average funding for an applicant was around 200k. I got this information from the HRSA budget justification from last year. I feel like it would be in there best interest to not accept applicants from high tuition schools. Did anyone who goes to an expensive school receive the scholarship?
Hi, I am just wondering where you found that info? Will you be able to link it please?

Hi guys, on the guide it says that the acceptance verification form needs to be hand signed by a school official and applicant. But I don't see a place where I would need to sign on that form? You think that was just a mistake on the guide?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 11.37.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 11.37.16 AM.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 55
Hi guys, on the guide it says that the acceptance verification form needs to be hand signed by a school official and applicant. But I don't see a place where I would need to sign on that form? You think that was just a mistake on the guide?
I was confused as well! I think it's just a mistake, but I am not sure.

I thought the same thing. I was going to attend a VERY expensive school and I thought they wouldn't even look at me because of it but to my surprise, I got the scholarship covering my entire education.

Now, I'm not sure if the school you attend has absolutely no impact in your acceptance. Maybe from a cheaper program they can pick 10 applicants but from an expensive one they can only can accept 3? so maybe the competition is more challenging at expensive schools?

I'm honestly not sure but just know, they don't really look at it that much and you still do have a chance.
Do you go to NYU?

I would sign on the paper. , below the school officials spot. I called and asked about it.

Reactions: 2 users
If I need to upload my undergrad transcript and my current grad school transcript. Should I submit them in one pdf or should I upload one of them under supporting documents.

Is there an interview process for this? Also, does the organization reach out to our recommenders at any point once we submit our application?

Is there an interview process for this? Also, does the organization reach out to our recommenders at any point once we submit our application?
There is no interview process for this. And I don't know if they would ever reach out to our recommenders or not

Did you get your school official to hand write there signature with a pen or like an electronically hand written signature where they used a digital device to hand write it ?

Did you get your school official to hand write there signature with a pen or like an electronically hand written signature where they used a digital device to hand write it ?
On the guide it says either version is ok!

I would say either one works. I physically signed mine and the financial aid advisor of my school electronically signed his.

My program is 24 months but ends in starts in September of 21' and ends in September of 23'. It only allows years to begin and end during the summer so does that mean I have to apply for 3 years of aid in order to be covered during the entire program?

First Priority​

Current (or former) NHSC Scholarship Program (NHSC SP) scholars
You seek, and are eligible for, additional support for the 2019-2020 school year or through your date of graduation.

Can someone explain this? At first I thought this meant funding goes to those who already received the scholarship from let's say last year but I'm thinking NHSC already has distrubuted those funding awards from last year and are slowly disbursed to those students over 4 years. I don't know how you can be a former NHSC scholar and still apply for this since scholars only apply one time. I thought the first priority would go to current applicants currently applying but I'm a little confused can someone explain this?
Right, they already distributed all the funds they could the first time around. But not all of those people awarded may have gotten the scholarship rewarded for all the years of school they have left. These students are given first priority and can potentially get their remaining years payed for

Are electronic signatures acceptable, or do we have to hand sign everything and then scan the documents?