NJ/Bias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holyravioli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm gearing up for a May 22nd Mcat retake since I got a 19 (6/7/6) in January with the old exam. I'm a non-trad student that did an informal post bacc and brought up my grades (As and one B-). I have (imo) pretty good clinical experience from two years in which I did program assisting/research... I've been consistent in doing volunteering at a hospital too.

I'm shadowing a DO doctor now and am looking ahead to apply (when the MCAT is settled.)

I've been doing my research from AACOM and SDN and have narrowed down/cut out:

ACOM
CUSOM
OH HCOM
OSU CON
PNWU COM
UNTHSC TCOM
WCU COM
UNECOM

I'm not sure if being from south Jersey is good enough for Virginia schools or not...

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm gearing up for a May 22nd Mcat retake since I got a 19 (6/7/6) in January with the old exam. I'm a non-trad student that did an informal post bacc and brought up my grades (As and one B-). I have (imo) pretty good clinical experience from two years in which I did program assisting/research... I've been consistent in doing volunteering at a hospital too.

I'm shadowing a DO doctor now and am looking ahead to apply (when the MCAT is settled.)

I've been doing my research from AACOM and SDN and have narrowed down/cut out:

ACOM
CUSOM
OH HCOM
OSU CON
PNWU COM
UNTHSC TCOM
WCU COM
UNECOM

I'm not sure if being from south Jersey is good enough for Virginia schools or not...

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Being from jersey will make it almost impossible to get into Tcom and OSU.

Out hcom requires a contract that you stay in the area.

Good luck on your mcat and come back here with your results.

Any reason why RowanSOM isn't on your list? Being an in state applicant to a state school helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just read over OP's list - those are the schools he/she has decided not to apply to thus far.

OP - are you applying this cycle or the one that begins next summer? I might suggest holding off to see where your MCAT falls before applying.
No matter what, apply to RowanSOM though. Its in your area, highly biased towards NJers, and just a really great program.
As far as VA schools go, VCOM and Liberty don't have too much in-state bias despite what they say. VCOM was the first school I got an II from and I am not from the state

Just read over OP's list - those are the schools he/she has decided not to apply to thus far.

OP - are you applying this cycle or the one that begins next summer? I might suggest holding off to see where your MCAT falls before applying.
No matter what, apply to RowanSOM though. Its in your area, highly biased towards NJers, and just a really great program.
As far as VA schools go, VCOM and Liberty don't have too much in-state bias despite what they say. VCOM was the first school I got an II from and I am not from the state

My mistake then. Also, if that's the case, I personally would add UNECOM back into your list. Agree with the above that MCAT will be an important factor.

Being from jersey will make it almost impossible to get into Tcom and OSU.

Out hcom requires a contract that you stay in the area.

Good luck on your mcat and come back here with your results.

Thank you!

Yep, I'm applying this cycle if the MCAT looks good. Percentiles come back I think on 6/12 and scores on the 30th so I was figuring after the exam I'd prepare to be ready just in case. Then I could go through with it if the score looks good.

Phew, happy about VCOM, they are kinda high on my list after looking at their sports med/community programs. Good to know about Liberty though, and Rowan. I wouldn't mind that bias helping me out, haha.

Thanks for the feedback!

My mistake then. Also, if that's the case, I personally would add UNECOM back into your list. Agree with the above that MCAT will be an important factor.

No worries, yep, I just am trying to cross off any place that would put me at a disadvantage. Hmm, really, I thought UNECOM accepted a good chunk from in-state... Are you a student there?

No worries, yep, I just am trying to cross off any place that would put me at a disadvantage. Hmm, really, I thought UNECOM accepted a good chunk from in-state... Are you a student there?

Not a student there, but I applied and was accepted there. They accept most of their students from within the region not the state. They're a private school, so there's no percentage/ratio requirement of IS vs OOS.

Not a student there, but I applied and was accepted there. They accept most of their students from within the region not the state. They're a private school, so there's no percentage/ratio requirement of IS vs OOS.

Ah okay, didn't know that, thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got my percentiles back, won't know the actual score until 6/30...

Chem/Phys Sci: 62-77%
CARS: 53-68%
Bio: 49-64%
Psych/Soc: 50-65%

Total: 51-61%

Decent MCAT score....that would be about 26-27 on the old mcat.

What is your GPA?

@mathnerd88 I wanna say his total puts him at 24-26 on the old MCAT.
My best guess for Chem/phys is a 8-10 (I scored 76% on BS and PS and got a 10)
CARS: 8-10 (I scored 53% on VR and got an 8)
Psych/soc: 8-9

its hard to say really though.

Reactions: 1 user
@mathnerd88 I wanna say his total puts him at 24-26 on the old MCAT.
My best guess for Chem/phys is a 8-10 (I scored 76% on BS and PS and got a 10)
CARS: 8-10 (I scored 53% on VR and got an 8)
Psych/soc: 8-9

its hard to say really though.

Yea I would have to agree. A 24-26 is more in line with a 51 to 61 percent. Fortunately for OP you can get into a handful of lower tier DO schools with that score.

27 on the old scale was around 55-60 percentile. You should be comparable to 26-27.

Decent MCAT score....that would be about 26-27 on the old mcat.

What is your GPA?

My sci is a ~3.3 and cumul ~3.4

Are there any schools I should be avoiding with these numbers? So far I've only cut out schools with oos bias like ok, oh, tx, al, ca, wa so i'm down to 28... i'm willing to apply broadly to have a shot.

27 on the old scale was around 55-60 percentile. You should be comparable to 26-27.

thank you for the rough estimate- the conversion b/n the new-old formats for some reasons was tricking me...

So you are saying there is a 13 percentile jump between a 27 and 29? I dont know, that seems a little too much dont you?

Last edited:
Wow, thats crazy. In any case thats better news for OP. a 26-27 is a great score for DO schools!

I think the new exam scoring is a little wonky, so I was just happy to have the possibility of a 24/25... I'll take the extra point or points lol. Thank you- and congrats on your 29!

just trying to figure out how many schools to apply to without breaking the bank...

I think the new exam scoring is a little wonky, so I was just happy to have the possibility of a 24/25... I'll take the extra point or points lol. Thank you- and congrats on your 29!

just trying to figure out how many schools to apply to without breaking the bank...

You should be fine. You're about average for most schools, except the older DO schools which are MCAT and GPA heavy.

Thanks, unfortunately a 29 was slightly lower than my goal of a 30-31 but I am still fairly happy with it. The only thing that kills me is that I was a point away from getting the "magic number". if I get interviews for md schools I'm sure ill be grilled for not getting a 31 or 30.

Thanks, unfortunately a 29 was slightly lower than my goal of a 30-31 but I am still fairly happy with it. The only thing that kills me is that I was a point away from getting the "magic number". if I get interviews for md schools I'm sure ill be grilled for not getting a 31 or 30.
doubtful of that. 29 is just fine. I know several people who have gotten into MDs with a 29. Just take advantage of applying to your IS schools. If the rest of your application (grades, ECs, and LORs) are solid, no one will question you for a 29!

my friend got in MD with a 28. Another got an II with a 27. The 27 person though had extremely impressive academics however. 27 person got rejected due to poor interviewing skills though.

doubtful of that. 29 is just fine. I know several people who have gotten into MDs with a 29. Just take advantage of applying to your IS schools. If the rest of your application (grades, ECs, and LORs) are solid, no one will question you for a 29!

my friend got in MD with a 28. Another got an II with a 27. The 27 person though had extremely impressive academics however. 27 person got rejected due to poor interviewing skills though.

Thanks for the boosting effort guys, but I'm Asian too.

According to AAMC 2014 Matriculant Chart I have a 35.8 percent chance of getting accepted to a MD Medical school this cycle. Not looking too good.

Last edited:
Based on what I saw in the DO school guide, they are very biased towards keeping in-state students...

I would out ACOM back. I'm from California and there are quite a few students from across the country that will be starting this fall

Thanks for the boosting effort guys, but I'm Asian too. So I'm sure that will hurt me. I'm just applying to MD schools with a 29 and 3.77 as an ORM in the very small off chance I might get a few interviews.

According to AAMC 2014 Matriculant Chart I have a 35.8 percent chance of getting accepted to a MD Medical school this cycle. Not looking too good.
the one with a 27 was asian.

I would out ACOM back. I'm from California and there are quite a few students from across the country that will be starting this fall

Really? I thought in their mission statement they said they prefer AL residents...

Really? I thought in their mission statement they said they prefer AL residents...

They're also a new school trying to build a reputation so they're going to want OOS students with good scores.

50% of my grip was from the trip-state area. 50% were from out of the region

They're also a new school trying to build a reputation so they're going to want OOS students with good scores.

Ah, gotcha. Are you a student there?

So that means OH, TX and OK are the ones to definitely avoid then for bias. Thanks.

They all have their own start dates

Thank you! Good luck on the cycle it goes pretty fast even if it seems like forever

I would add BCOM, ACOM, PCOM, TUNCOM, LMU, Cooper, WVSOM, MUCOM, LECOM, NYITCOM, and all three VCOMs.

Thanks, Goro. I'll tweak my list. Are there any schools that you think I should save my money from because they are a reach?

Ps: I noticed I don't have biochem as a prereq for a few schools like UNECOM. Does that mean I can't apply there, or rather if accepted, just need to have the class completed before then?

Thanks, Goro. I'll tweak my list. Are there any schools that you think I should save my money from because they are a reach?

Ps: I noticed I don't have biochem as a prereq for a few schools like UNECOM. Does that mean I can't apply there, or rather if accepted, just need to have the class completed before then?

By the time you matriculate. I was accepted without having completing Biochem yet