No Couples Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green Grass

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if residency programs are receptive to those people who enter the early match but are also married to a 4th year? Obviously there is no couples match, are we supposed to shun the early match specialties? Thanks.

Jon

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in this same situation. Just got engaged to another 3rd year who I've been dating since college. I'm 100% set on doing urology, she's still not sure what she wants to do (possible Ortho).

It makes things more difficult for sure. That said, I know 2 different guys who were upperclassmen who matched in Urology and ended up in the same city as their significant others. They mainly stuck to big cities with multiple residency programs. Once they matched, they asked their program director to make some calls on their significant others behalf. Apparently it worked in both situations.

I'm pretty paranoid about this, though. Really don't want to get married and then spend 5+ years apart.

Good to hear! I've heard similar stories about Urology residency directors pulling some strings for spouses. Nice to know that (most likely) we don't have to worry about that side of it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in this same situation. Just got engaged to another 3rd year who I've been dating since college. I'm 100% set on doing urology, she's still not sure what she wants to do (possible Ortho).

It makes things more difficult for sure. That said, I know 2 different guys who were upperclassmen who matched in Urology and ended up in the same city as their significant others. They mainly stuck to big cities with multiple residency programs. Once they matched, they asked their program director to make some calls on their significant others behalf. Apparently it worked in both situations.

I'm pretty paranoid about this, though. Really don't want to get married and then spend 5+ years apart.

i wound up in a different city than my girl because i didn't talk to my pd. so i have two lines of advice

one is dump you gf, it simplifies things and will make your intern year a lot smoother
two talk to your pd early after the match if you think i'm kidding about the above

CMe

i wound up in a different city than my girl because i didn't talk to my pd. so i have two lines of advice

one is dump you gf, it simplifies things and will make your intern year a lot smoother
two talk to your pd early after the match if you think i'm kidding about the above

CMe

Wow, sorry to hear that. Were you two married at the time? I heard that matters quite a bit; they don't seem to care about long-term dating or engaged for that matter.

I just went through this process. We were both lucky enough to have gotten a number of interviews at the same places and we both made my rank list together. I matched at my number which was also her number one for all the places that I interviewed. I've been in contact with my chairman who already made a few calls to her future pd and sounds like we won't have much to worry about if you get my drift. There's a lot of luck in this process for those who do have s.o. I really feel for all of you because it's stressful and there's so much uncertainty. You both have to interview at more places than you would have had it only been yourself. You both have to agree upon a geographical location and program and also get interviews at a lot of the same places to feel relatively safe about it. My advice:

1. apply broadly, both of you, geographically and program quality wise
2. be flexible, find some compromise
3. Let it be known to every single program director and interviewer you meet what your intentions are

PM if you have further questions..good luck!

Congrats! And thanks for the great advice.

I just went through this process. We were both lucky enough to have gotten a number of interviews at the same places and we both made my rank list together. I matched at my number which was also her number one for all the places that I interviewed. I've been in contact with my chairman who already made a few calls to her future pd and sounds like we won't have much to worry about if you get my drift. There's a lot of luck in this process for those who do have s.o. I really feel for all of you because it's stressful and there's so much uncertainty. You both have to interview at more places than you would have had it only been yourself. You both have to agree upon a geographical location and program and also get interviews at a lot of the same places to feel relatively safe about it. My advice:

1. apply broadly, both of you, geographically and program quality wise
2. be flexible, find some compromise
3. Let it be known to every single program director and interviewer you meet what your intentions are

PM if you have further questions..good luck!