No DO shadowing. Still worth applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benzenerocks

Reaction score
So i have no DO shadowing and probably wont either. I plan to apply both MD and DO but truly have no preference and i do respect the DO principle. I think i can sort of explain why do based on my major choice in undergrad. i dont know if its worth it to apply to DO without any shadowing or DO LOR tho. what do yall think?

cGPA: 3.65, mcat - stilll havent taken

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to both MD and DO and have 3 DO acceptance so far, with 2 MD shadowing. I get asked every single time in my DO interviews and as long as you can demonstrate your exposure of DO's you are fine. I used my experience volunteering with a clinic filled with DOs.

Hope it helps!

thank you and congrats!!! do u think my gpa will hurt my chances? im going to try my best and kill the mcat. i also volunteer at a clinic as an interpreter but other than that i dont have much exposure to MDs and DOs,

Members don't see this ad :)
I look at applicants exposure to osteopathic med in their app. I also ask at interview if they have shadowed a DO, seen OMT in practice, or if applicant has been treated with OMT in the past.
If applicant has been exposed to none of these, how persuasive do you think the " I think OMT is really cool" or "I like the Holistic approach" line will be with me?

thank you and congrats!!! do u think my gpa will hurt my chances? im going to try my best and kill the mcat. i also volunteer at a clinic as an interpreter but other than that i dont have much exposure to MDs and DOs,
Naw man. As long as there is some DOs in your clinic you can talk about how they speak to patients, how they communicate with nurses, patients and how they interact with you. If there is absolutely zero DOs working in your clinic, I suggest you to go out of your way a bit to shadow one. MAKE SURE you ask your DO and take notes on some specific talking points you can present during your interviews. I agree with the previous post, by the way!

I am assuming you are talking about next application cycle correct?? If you are applying next cycle then get shadowing experience of a DO. It will help you get a letter of recommendation and those are crucial for DO schools, especially because the majority put a big preference on letters of DO over letters from MD. MD doesn't put as high of an emphasis on letters from physicians, but the MCAT should obviously be 507+ as a minimum to be competitive for allopathic schools.