No idea what I'm doing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScottyD.O.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a college freshman pursuing a BS in electrical engineering at UNLV. I've always been interested in orthopedic surgery or anesthesiology. My girlfriend is a critical care nurse here in Vegas, and thinks I should shoot for med school. But I have NO idea what I'm doing. The gist that I get is that as long as you have a great GPA and MCAT score, are personable during the interview, and get a few solid letters of recommendation, you've got a good shot. Am I on the right track? Also, I'm 32 and won't be applying until I'm atleast 36. Do med schools accept "older" applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, and welcome to SDN :)
You are correct. You need to have a solid GPA (science and non-science), MCAT score, LORs and ECs (volunteering, shadowing, clinical exposure, etc.)
What makes you want to pursue medicine? Do YOU want to become a physician, or is your SO pushing you in that direction? Make sure it is for YOU, not him/her, because if you don't want to do it for yourself, chances are, you will be miserable... Medical schools do accept "older" applicants as you call yourself, but you are not old. @Goro can tell you more about non-trad students in terms of DO schools.
I am assuming by your name that you are interested in going to a DO school?

Just make sure to do well in all of your courses, major in something that you are truly interested in, and keep the end goal in mind. Don't forget to have a little bit of fun either. You want to be able to set yourself apart (in a good way) from the thousands of other applicants.

Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. I graduated one last year at 50.

Read this book (shill alert: Dr Hartwig is an old pal of mine)

Amazon product

I'm a college freshman pursuing a BS in electrical engineering at UNLV. I've always been interested in orthopedic surgery or anesthesiology. My girlfriend is a critical care nurse here in Vegas, and thinks I should shoot for med school. But I have NO idea what I'm doing. The gist that I get is that as long as you have a great GPA and MCAT score, are personable during the interview, and get a few solid letters of recommendation, you've got a good shot. Am I on the right track? Also, I'm 32 and won't be applying until I'm atleast 36. Do med schools accept "older" applicants?

Hello, and welcome to SDN :)
You are correct. You need to have a solid GPA (science and non-science), MCAT score, LORs and ECs (volunteering, shadowing, clinical exposure, etc.)
What makes you want to pursue medicine? Do YOU want to become a physician, or is your SO pushing you in that direction? Make sure it is for YOU, not him/her, because if you don't want to do it for yourself, chances are, you will be miserable... Medical schools do accept "older" applicants as you call yourself, but you are not old. @Goro can tell you more about non-trad students in terms of DO schools.
I am assuming by your name that you are interested in going to a DO school?

Just make sure to do well in all of your courses, major in something that you are truly interested in, and keep the end goal in mind. Don't forget to have a little bit of fun either. You want to be able to set yourself apart (in a good way) from the thousands of other applicants.

Best of luck to you!

Wow, thanks a bunch for the input. I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to help guide the lost:) It doesn't sound like I need to change my course much. I thought about volunteering at the local hospital, but my girlfriend says I won't be exposed to much. Is it just the volunteering hours that count, or do they care what tasks you performed while volunteering?

Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. I graduated one last year at 50.

Read this book (shill alert: Dr Hartwig is an old pal of mine)

Amazon product

Thanks Goro, I see you on here a lot helping people out. I'll definitely get the book! How does one go about getting a doctor to let someone shadow them? Is the hope of shadowing to get a Letter of Recommendation?

Wow, thanks a bunch for the input. I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to help guide the lost:) It doesn't sound like I need to change my course much. I thought about volunteering at the local hospital, but my girlfriend says I won't be exposed to much. Is it just the volunteering hours that count, or do they care what tasks you performed while volunteering?
Anytime! The hours count, but if you are not interested in volunteering in the hospital, you are not bound by the law to do so! You can volunteer for hospice, animal shelters, meals on wheels, nursing homes, basically anywhere there is a need for volunteers. Make sure it is something you are passionate about, because that will really shine through in your interviews!
Best of luck to you :)

Reactions: 1 user
Two things: 1) you need some exposure to medical service delivery to be sure that is the environment where you want to spend the rest of your career (I presume this is a career move on your part given your age) and 2) you need to show that you are willing to be of service to those in need (because medicine is a service industry). Hospital volunteering is often seen as a two-fer but it is not the only option as mentioned above.

You should shadow a DO and ask for a letter of recommendation (LOR) although this could wait 12-18 months unless you shadow periodically for months and then get a letter closer to your application time.

Also, reconsider your major. It is not a bad major as long as you can pull grades of A- or better in every class. That tends to be harder in EE than in other majors but if it your strength then go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Ask your family doctor if you can shadow him/her or if they can recommend someone.

Shadowing is not only for getting a LOR, but to see what a doctor's day is like, and how different doctors approach the practice of medicine.

Thanks Goro, I see you on here a lot helping people out. I'll definitely get the book! How does one go about getting a doctor to let someone shadow them? Is the hope of shadowing to get a Letter of Recommendation?

What should my major be to get into med school?
Also, reconsider your major. It is not a bad major as long as you can pull grades of A- or better in every class. That tends to be harder in EE than in other majors but if it your strength then go for it.

Agreed with LizzyM. EE is a fun major, but definitely not easy. If you feel that you are being steered away from your primary goal of medicine, I recommend majoring in biochemistry or neuroscience, the latter of which is closest to what you can see as "EE in medicine". Still requires hard work and effort to do well, but generally it's easier to do well in these majors than in EE.

Yes, you are on the right track and that's the basic gist. The one thing you missed is make sure you've got clinical volunteerism, shadowing, and (if MD) research. Yes, they accept older applicants.

Do students at UNLV even have time to study?

I'd imagine I'd be wayyyyy too tempted if I went to school in Vegas...

Reactions: 1 users