No interview after audition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_2022

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did an audition rotation a few months ago at a program that was reachable for me. I thought it went well and they wrote me a letter. I did not receive an interview invite and other peers that rotated with them did. The program has now ghosted me. I am heartbroken, left wondering what I did wrong and am now concerned about what may be in that letter. Has anyone else experienced this?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I did an audition rotation a few months ago at a program that was reachable for me. I thought it went well and they wrote me a letter. I did not receive an interview invite and other peers that rotated with them did. The program has now ghosted me. I am heartbroken, left wondering what I did wrong and am now concerned about what may be in that letter. Has anyone else experienced this?
What specialty?

Sort of… only i thought everything went well and i didnt match there. I was devastated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it hurt to send an interest email in this situation? heard of someone doing it at my home program.

Really sorry it happened but maybe they're a**holes and you're better off not working there.

Weird how they would write a latter but not invite.

If they did invite you, but only after you prompted them, then I would say you’re better off spending the flight/hotel $ somewhere else.

If still on Zoom etc, then nothing to lose and would email the program coordinator (or perhaps the doc who wrote you the letter)

This happen to my friend but at her base hospital.. she got a letter from them too and never got an invite..

If you have gotten invites from other obgyn programs then I wouldn’t worry about what’s in the letter’s content. If no invites elsewhere then the letter is bad most likely.

As for interviews at auditions, this is why auditioning is a double edged sword. It only takes one bad encounter with someone to sink your chances. It may very well be a good letter from whoever wrote it, but maybe a resident spoke out after the letter was written leading to the no interview. On auditions, you don’t just have to impress the attendings, but you have to not piss anyone off either. People have been DNR’d by being rude to the clinic staff.

Reactions: 1 users
If you have gotten invites from other obgyn programs then I wouldn’t worry about what’s in the letter’s content. If no invites elsewhere then the letter is bad most likely.

As for interviews at auditions, this is why auditioning is a double edged sword. It only takes one bad encounter with someone to sink your chances. It may very well be a good letter from whoever wrote it, but maybe a resident spoke out after the letter was written leading to the no interview. On auditions, you don’t just have to impress the attendings, but you have to not piss anyone off either. People have been DNR’d by being rude to the clinic staff.
This is true, but I've also noticed unless you have really high stats youre just not going to set yourself apart in a 20-60 min interview from the hundreds, maybe thousands, of applicants the program received.

This is true, but I've also noticed unless you have really high stats youre just not going to set yourself apart in a 20-60 min interview from the hundreds, maybe thousands, of applicants the program received.
I’m not saying to not audition. Im saying you just understand that risk. Certain specialties require and audition and some don’t care. It all depends. There are no hard and fast rules for the residency matching game. That’s why it’s always best to listen to the advice of people within your specific specialty when applying.

This suck and I feel bad for you. This is why auditions are dangerous. You probably would have gotten an interview if you hadn't auditioned (as often interview cutoffs are the same as audition cut offs).

You must have rubbed someone the wrong way. Be it a resident, attending, program coordinator, someone. I don't suspect a letter of interest or reaching out will help as I can't imagine they "forgot about you".

To all future auditioners - remember this tale. You are interviewing for 4 weeks + any communication before/after. You aren't allowed a single bad day, bad email, curt response, etc as you'll get blacklisted for it. Trust me, I've seen a candidate get black listed because they were rude in an email to a secretary.

This suck and I feel bad for you. This is why auditions are dangerous. You probably would have gotten an interview if you hadn't auditioned (as often interview cutoffs are the same as audition cut offs).

You must have rubbed someone the wrong way. Be it a resident, attending, program coordinator, someone. I don't suspect a letter of interest or reaching out will help as I can't imagine they "forgot about you".

To all future auditioners - remember this tale. You are interviewing for 4 weeks + any communication before/after. You aren't allowed a single bad day, bad email, curt response, etc as you'll get blacklisted for it. Trust me, I've seen a candidate get black listed because they were rude in an email to a secretary.
Lets say some program doesn't even have DOs on their roster or interview DOs. Would it be worthwhile to audition for a good letter if you have an "in" with the PD somehow?

Lets say some program doesn't even have DOs on their roster or interview DOs. Would it be worthwhile to audition for a good letter if you have an "in" with the PD somehow?

If you're absolutely confident that you're a rockstar clinical med student then yes. It can't possibly hurt (as if they historically don't take DO's chances are they won't start with you). But unless you've consistently heard feedback along the lines of "functioning at the level of an intern" then I would be hesitant to recommend doing this (as if you have an "in" with the PD then if you get there and aren't exceptional that "in" may be worth a lot less)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have had several students who I have written letters for not receive interviews well into Nov and Dec. Recently, it seems DOs are getting interviews later in the season than in years past. Just my experience. My advisee, a star, had no interviews until Dec, then matched at what many consider the number 1 program in the country in his specialty. Conversely, with Zoom interviews and applicants not having to pay travel expenses to attend interviews, it seems to be more competitive. My son matched his 4th choice in Sports med, despite good LORs from local programs. I don't think it's time to panic yet. Good luck and best wishes.

Has this program accepted DOs In the past?

No matter how well you know the PD or how many compromising photos you have of them, there is no guarantee that they will go to bat for you when it comes time for the rank list.

Additionally, you have no idea how long that person will be there so to hinge it all on one person seems risky.

Lastly, if you will be the first DO in this program then you will be under the radar from day one and even if you make the same mistakes as any other intern, you will likely be judged more harshly.

Best not to waste limited time and resources and go to an audition rotation where your chances of matching are higher.

I would certainly not use that letter anymore

Lastly, if you will be the first DO in this program then you will be under the radar from day one and even if you make the same mistakes as any other intern, you will likely be judged more harshly.

I don't agree. Most people don't know or don't care what your initials are. They only care for purposes of perception such as their match list. They don't care in regards to day-to-day interactions. Nobody has time or care to be keeping a DO tally

I would respectfully disagree and will say, if you are a worthy applicant and have a chance to "audition" at your no.1 place, go for it. Sure it could be risky if you are a stellar applicant on paper, but clinically are deficient, can't work under pressure, socially inept, etc, then yes, the advice above holds true. I would say if you have the opportunity to audition at your no.1 program, you are a confident person in your clinical/social skills, etc, then by all means go and audition.

BTW, why would an applicant be rude in an email? That may have signaled that the candidate lacks emotional intelligence. That candidate is not someone who got blacklisted for being 30 seconds late ...they did not have enough sense to not be rude. My goodness, you are trying to earn an interview, that last thing you want to do is be labeled as some jerk who was rude.

Last edited:
Yep, happened to me back when I was applying to residency. Don’t let it get to you. This process is a crap shoot. Do well on the rest of your interviews.

There have been a number of reports in social media about LOR and PS' not being received by programs due to a glitch in ERAS. You should write a short, polite email asking about the status of your application, and reported problems, 'just checking' .

Documents were assigned but never transmitted, leaving the applications appearing incomplete.

ERAS denies all responsibility.

There have been a number of reports in social media about LOR and PS' not being received by programs due to a glitch in ERAS. You should write a short, polite email asking about the status of your application, and reported problems, 'just checking' .

Documents were assigned but never transmitted, leaving the applications appearing incomplete.

ERAS denies all responsibility.

This. It's happened other years too.

Back to the original issue, I think it also depends upon whether you're doing an audition at a community site or a univ site. At a community site, the residency program likely determines who gets to come and rotate there -- presumably they would not pick someone that they would not consider interviewing. At a univ site, it may be the medical school who picks. In that case, the residency program may have no say whatsoever. In that case, applicants could not get an interview but still have a perfectly fine performance and letters.

When you do an away rotation, does the grade of the rotation come from the school you did your away at or is it determined by your home school? I just completed an away rotation and I was enrolled in a course at my home school as well as the course at my away rotation.. so i had to complete assignments for both

That seems pretty crappy to me that they at least didn't offer you an interview, that just seems like poor form to me, unless you did something crazy on the audition. Maybe you don't want to be there and its for the best.

Have you directly reached out and asked why? May be helpful to see if there was something missing or what.

That seems pretty crappy to me that they at least didn't offer you an interview, that just seems like poor form to me, unless you did something crazy on the audition. Maybe you don't want to be there and its for the best.

Have you directly reached out and asked why? May be helpful to see if there was something missing or what.
You don’t want courtesy interviews. Especially back when you had to fly out and spend money

You don’t want courtesy interviews. Especially back when you had to fly out and spend money
most auditions give you an interview while you're there if you live far away, so you don't have to fly back out again. A lot of places do from my understanding

I hear these stories all the time from my former colleagues and students. The residency matching environment is so much more competitive now. I think the best way to look at is like getting elected or admitted to medical school all over again. You have to have all the boxes checked for your specialty and apply to reachable programs. @Goro 's advice is best, and I'll paraphrase, "Consider yourself rejected until accepted/matched" Keep working to improve your app, consider another audition if time allows, ( I did several rotations in the dept at the Uni where I did my residency which was not very DO friendly at the time.) Network, get faculty to email or call the PD/contact person for the programs. I have done this for students applying to my specialty and had some success. Pay little attention to feedback given by any residency program as SDN is replete with stories of students given the impression they would be highly ranked to not match at all. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
most auditions give you an interview while you're there if you live far away, so you don't have to fly back out again. A lot of places do from my understanding
That is correct but there are unfortunately circumstances when they can’t. This year we couldn’t because we didn’t have access to eras in the beginning for the early auditioners. We were forced to do them later, luckily it was zoom.