No Interview Offers So Far, Is it over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

askninetytwo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Feeling a bit discouraged here. I applied to a lot of different schools late June and received two denials and the rest haven't communicated further than either finishing up a supplemental/paying fees.

If I haven't received word by now is it over? I'm a first time applicant wondering about my prospects.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Since your GPA is below the average accepted GPA for almost all the dental schools, I’d recommend looking into a post-bac or masters just in case! Good luck though!

3.05 GPA, 3.15 sGPA
20 AA, 16 PAT, 19 QR, 21 RC, 20 BIO, 18 GC, 21 OC, 19 TS

Disclaimer: I do not sugar coat. I am as honest as I can be.

Your stats are bad. You will not get a pre-december interview. I would also guess you will not get an interview at all unless there is something extraordinary outside if your raw numbers. (For an extreme example, lets say you were working as a volunteer for Unicef and developed sustainable energy to a starving tribe in Africa OR you are like Yousafzai who won a Nobel).

Your GPA is low. Unless there is an extreme upward trend, you will need to do a SMP or Masters. The SMP or Masters will probably not make a huge dent in your overall GPA, BUT it has its own separate "category" as graduate classes. So if you get 4.0 (or close to it), your overall GPA might be 3.15 (still low) BUT dental schools will look at the masters grades very strongly.

Because your historic GPA is low, you also need a good DAT ( 21+AA, 21+TS, 21+PAT, and no scores below 17).

Along with this you will need good extracurriculars: (100-300hrs dental volunteering and significant hours in traditional volunteering). I don't know what you did here because you did not mention it but if you already have a lot of volunteering then I would focus on the 2 points mentioned above.

Reactions: 1 users
which schools did you apply to? I think your best option is to apply to northeast private schools like BU, Tufts, or Touro

Get a masters and apply after. Also retake the DAT to make up for your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Passive waiting is not good anyway.
You can do two things right now.
Since we are in the fall semester now, you can't really take post grad courses or be in a master program just yet.
If you are already in school, just focus on getting A's to improve your gpa.

If you have graduated, search around to get a master, there is this one year program that they announced on SDN,
that might help you.
Utilizing a 1-year MS program in Biomedical Sciences
this program is one year, but you need to take Gre to apply to it.
and I think many ms programs require GRE
Since your scores in QR and RC were 19 and 21, I think 3 weeks for the GRE is enough to prepare well.

If you can't afford the time or don't want to take a master degree but are willing to take some post-grad courses to improve your gpa, then that means you have now 2 free months until spring semester starts.

2 months are enough to prepare for the DAT and retake it ( FYI, I am not saying your DAT is bad or anything, but your GPA is low so you need to show them that you able to do really good on the DAT)

Update schools on your intentions to retake, maybe some of them will not make a decision about you until they receive your second DAT, you never know!

But don't lose hope regardless.

You don't know what the future holds for you, nobody knows.

Best of luck!

3.05 GPA, 3.15 sGPA
I know it's easy to get discouraged, but try to keep your chin up. Many people have gotten into dental school with lower stats than yours, however it's much harder. 20 AA and 19 TS isn't amazing, but it's fine and meets the requirements. The 16 in PAT may or may not hurt you. My state school doesn't care too much about the PAT score, other schools do. Hope for the best, but I would be looking at preparing a "kick-butt" personal statement, retaking the DAT, and picking up some more classes to raise the GPA. Also when looking for which schools to apply to, see what the current students stats are. There are many who have incoming classes with a 18.5-19 DAT average. Avoid applying at the schools with 23 and above average. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
3.05 GPA, 3.15 sGPA

Tbh I don't think your GPA is bad I think it might be a DAT thing

I heard from someone that the PAT is a very important section. I had the same PAT score on my first DAT exam and I did not get in. I think you should retake your DAT (your academic scores are good but that PAT is low). Though I wouldn't lose all hope you might score and interview and get in. I think you shouldn't give up no matter what the results are. I am not a person who is all knowing but I am just telling you from my own personal experience. But I don't want you to feel discouraged. I believe in a persons ability to improve so I believe in you.