No interviews yet-Should I prep for next year?

Started by Maroon5777
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Maroon5777

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted AMCAS in June, letters were in as well since July, CA resident from UCSD, 3.65 overall GPA, 3.55 science GPA, with 3.8+ GPA last 2 years, balanced 11, 11, 11=33Q mcat...good extracurriculars, student organization leadership activities, lots of clinical work, 1 year of research...
I applied to about 30 schools 1/3 reaches 1/3 about my stats 1/3 a bit below my stats, received secondaries from all UC schools and others

Most secondaries have been submitted since mid august to early september, so far-
rejected from Boston Uni, UCSF (today), Georgetown
on hold at GW, Drexel, Penn State, Baylor
and under review at the rest

I am wondering if there's a flaw in my application as I am from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background and seem to have all bases covered but so far no interviews while friends with lesser stats and equal extracurriculars have 1 or 2 already...I am naturally very optimistic but at this point feel kind of dim about the future. Do some people receive their 1st interviews later on? I dont understand since I applied fairly early.
 
Submitted AMCAS in June, letters were in as well since July, CA resident from UCSD, 3.65 overall GPA, 3.55 science GPA, with 3.8+ GPA last 2 years, balanced 11, 11, 11=33Q mcat...good extracurriculars, student organization leadership activities, lots of clinical work, 1 year of research...
I applied to about 30 schools 1/3 reaches 1/3 about my stats 1/3 a bit below my stats, received secondaries from all UC schools and others

Most secondaries have been submitted since mid august to early september, so far-
rejected from Boston Uni, UCSF (today), Georgetown
on hold at GW, Drexel, Penn State, Baylor
and under review at the rest

I am wondering if there's a flaw in my application as I am from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background and seem to have all bases covered but so far no interviews while friends with lesser stats and equal extracurriculars have 1 or 2 already...I am naturally very optimistic but at this point feel kind of dim about the future. Do some people receive their 1st interviews later on? I dont understand since I applied fairly early.

It's still early in the interview phase of the application cycle. The season ends in spring, so until then and until schools give you a rejection notice there is a possibility of getting interviews. With your stats you should be getting some interview invites soon. Just keep waiting and being patient. Goodluck!:luck:

Of course if you are taking a year off from school you should be using this time to strengthen your application (just in case). That is what I am doing (as I am taking a year off).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted AMCAS in June, letters were in as well since July, CA resident from UCSD, 3.65 overall GPA, 3.55 science GPA, with 3.8+ GPA last 2 years, balanced 11, 11, 11=33Q mcat...good extracurriculars, student organization leadership activities, lots of clinical work, 1 year of research...
I applied to about 30 schools 1/3 reaches 1/3 about my stats 1/3 a bit below my stats, received secondaries from all UC schools and others

Most secondaries have been submitted since mid august to early september, so far-
rejected from Boston Uni, UCSF (today), Georgetown
on hold at GW, Drexel, Penn State, Baylor
and under review at the rest

I am wondering if there's a flaw in my application as I am from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background and seem to have all bases covered but so far no interviews while friends with lesser stats and equal extracurriculars have 1 or 2 already...I am naturally very optimistic but at this point feel kind of dim about the future. Do some people receive their 1st interviews later on? I dont understand since I applied fairly early.

Fellow UCSD. All the medical student I talked to had interviews all the way til April during my interviews and got in. My stats are lower than yours. Just be patient.
 
Oh lawd....yet another Californian in the 31-33 MCAT, 3.5-3.7 GPA range with 0 interview invites.

Join the club buddy....it's gonna be a loooooooong cycle.🙁
 
Oh lawd....yet another Californian in the 31-33 MCAT, 3.5-3.7 GPA range with 0 interview invites.

Join the club buddy....it's gonna be a loooooooong cycle.🙁

Sucks to be from California sometimes. Good luck guys. :luck:
 
Also, of the schools you've heard back from, the majority are the schools that get >10,000 applications a cycle and as a result are notoriously unpredictable. With your stats and applying to 30+ schools I bet you get interviews and I bet you get in somewhere, it just may take some patience.
 
You're kidding right? I can't imagine how annoyed I'd be if I had seen this thread and had low stats (say a high 20s), and hadn't had a response yet. It's only October. A friend in my class didn't interview at our school until May. Calm down, stop worrying, and just wait for the interviews to come to you. There is nothing you can really do at this point (if you send in letters of intent this early, they'll think you're crazy), so there is no sense in freaking out, especially when there isn't a good reason to freak out.
 
people say no news is good news, but what really worries me is that they already rejected me, but wait until march to let me know.
it would really suck if all those silent schools send me rejection letter at once on march...
 
In my honest opinion by this time if you have 0 interviews there's something seriously wrong.

A) You picked the wrong schools
B) You didn't apply early or broadly enough?
C) Your LOR or personal statement is crapped out.
D) Your stats are absolutely BS
 
In my honest opinion by this time if you have 0 interviews there's something seriously wrong.

A) You picked the wrong schools
B) You didn't apply early or broadly enough?
C) Your LOR or personal statement is crapped out.
D) Your stats are absolutely BS

I believe you're seriously wrong. There are people who haven't even sent out secondaries yet and schools have had the largest amount of applicants ever this year. Most schools haven't even given out half of their total interview invites. I just think that patience is a virtue and although I would be worrying, it's still mildly early to be thinking you're out of luck.
 
Most secondaries have been submitted since mid august to early september

This is probably why. Most schools don't start reviewing your app until everything has been received (it doesn't matter that you submitted your AMCAS early, and it usually takes at least a few weeks and sometimes a few months for them to come to a decision. I would start worrying in November, but I think you're OK for now. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't be worried. Mid August-Early September is what is slowing you down.

I sent my secondaries in starting first week of July through Mid August. I haven't heard from any schools for which I submitted the secondary in August yet, only July.
 
Also, of the schools you've heard back from, the majority are the schools that get >10,000 applications a cycle and as a result are notoriously unpredictable. With your stats and applying to 30+ schools I bet you get interviews and I bet you get in somewhere, it just may take some patience.

this.

I wouldn't be worried. Mid August-Early September is what is slowing you down.

I sent my secondaries in starting first week of July through Mid August. I haven't heard from any schools for which I submitted the secondary in August yet, only July.

this. OP hasn't been complete at most of these places for 6-8 weeks yet. come back and tell us how you're doing by Thanksgiving.
 
In my honest opinion by this time if you have 0 interviews there's something seriously wrong.

A) You picked the wrong schools
B) You didn't apply early or broadly enough?
C) Your LOR or personal statement is crapped out.
D) Your stats are absolutely BS
E) Your EC's are not good enough
F) You do not have much exposure to medicine
 
Most schools seem to be interviewing high stats and awesome EC people right now. Where I have interviewed (mid-tier schools), it has been with students who are also interviewing at places like Mayo, JHU, HMS, WashU, etc. right now. Most students I've interviewed with had 35+ MCAT scores and near-perfect GPAs. (I have neither of those, although I am still in the 32+/3.8+ crowd and have "done a ridiculous amount [of ECs] for [my] age" according to several of my interviewers.) Your 33/3.6 with likely average(ish) ECs is likely to get you interviewed a bit more mid-cycle. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

HOWEVER, you should ALWAYS have a Plan B. You should still be working toward improvement of your app (both for updates AND in case you don't get in this cycle). You don't want to be caught unprepared.
 
most schools seem to be interviewing high stats and awesome ec people right now. Where i have interviewed (mid-tier schools), it has been with students who are also interviewing at places like mayo, jhu, hms, washu, etc. Right now. Most students i've interviewed with had 35+ mcat scores and near-perfect gpas. (i have neither of those, although i am still in the 32+/3.8+ crowd and have "done a ridiculous amount [of ecs] for [my] age" according to several of my interviewers.) your 33/3.6 with likely average(ish) ecs is likely to get you interviewed a bit more mid-cycle. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

However, you should always have a plan b. You should still be working toward improvement of your app (both for updates and in case you don't get in this cycle). You don't want to be caught unprepared.
+1
 
Sorry to hijack the thread but my question is in line with the discussion. What do you do to strengthen your application in case you need to reapply next year? I can only think of one thing that is to do more community service since I am working full time at the moment. Any other suggestions?

I don't think there is anything I can do to improve my stats at this point. GPA 3.64, 3.7 and 33M. I am sure as hell not retaking the MCAT since it is very likely my VR gonna drop.
 
Sorry to hijack the thread but my question is in line with the discussion. What do you do to strengthen your application in case you need to reapply next year? I can only think of one thing that is to do more community service since I am working full time at the moment. Any other suggestions?

I don't think there is anything I can do to improve my stats at this point. GPA 3.64, 3.7 and 33M. I am sure as hell not retaking the MCAT since it is very likely my VR gonna drop.

Well you have a job so that's good, means you are busy and not just lounging around at home. I think just improving on clinical experiences and things like that. Your stats are already good as is lol.
 
hey! fellow ucsd student here too, except i'm oos, thank goodness (didn't apply to a single CA school other than usc)!!!

i'd say be patient too. i'm a little nervous b/c i've only heard back from three schools (one which rejected me), but as everyone else said, most schools interview till march. right now they're interviewing the *best* candidates, so unfortunately, we don't fall into that crowd. but those *best* candidates are probably going to turn down some of the schools and pick only their top choices, meaning there's more room for us. ALSO, as you may have seen several times on here, sdn is only a representation of the premed community, so while it might seem like *so many* people are getting interviews, in the big scheme of things, there probably aren't that many, and you're not too far behind.

be patient!! 😀
 
hey! fellow ucsd student here too, except i'm oos, thank goodness (didn't apply to a single CA school other than usc)!!!

i'd say be patient too. i'm a little nervous b/c i've only heard back from three schools (one which rejected me), but as everyone else said, most schools interview till march. right now they're interviewing the *best* candidates, so unfortunately, we don't fall into that crowd. but those *best* candidates are probably going to turn down some of the schools and pick only their top choices, meaning there's more room for us. ALSO, as you may have seen several times on here, sdn is only a representation of the premed community, so while it might seem like *so many* people are getting interviews, in the big scheme of things, there probably aren't that many, and you're not too far behind.

be patient!! 😀

Thanks, yea im trying to be patient but its tough at this point. I added about 10 more oos schools that are not top level competitive. I have everything invested for this cycle. Can't imagine taking an extra year off in addition to this one. Goodluck to u as well! lets hope for good news 🙂
 
Thanks, yea im trying to be patient but its tough at this point. I added about 10 more oos schools that are not top level competitive. I have everything invested for this cycle. Can't imagine taking an extra year off in addition to this one. Goodluck to u as well! lets hope for good news 🙂

I'm in the same boat, though my MCAT score is a little lower. I'm all in too! Wishing you luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
patience. i'd only start wetting my pants if you don't get any good news by the end of the year. but even then, you can still wear those pants until about feb...then you should think about getting some new pants.
 
patience. i'd only start wetting my pants if you don't get any good news by the end of the year. but even then, you can still wear those pants until about feb...then you should think about getting some new pants.

So, hypothetically, lets say January 1st comes around with no acceptance for Mr. Tuna--you are saying i have one month of acceptable pant wetting? What ratio of wet : denim is considered reasonable? If said pants are turned inside out and worn, thereby reducing interior moistness, have I in fact reversed time by a factor equivalent to the moisture reduction, and thus bought myself a few more weeks for med school acceptance?

Given that my logic is sound, and I haven't heard from med schools after denim-inversion-time-reversal stage, I will wallow in my double-soaked pants. I don't deserve nice things. No new pants for this Tuna Sub.
 
*Looks down despondently....pants already wet...*

haha, really in all seriousness it is mid-october.

Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, April, May

Lots of time left! I know it may be difficult but find things that may occupy your time so that the application cycle does not own you by the balls, day to day.
 
haha, really in all seriousness it is mid-october.

Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, April, May

Lots of time left! I know it may be difficult but find things that may occupy your time so that the application cycle does not own you by the balls, day to day.

Haha I know, I know. Just playing around. Not too worried.

*Checks email again* *Sigh...* 😀
 
It's probably wise to do things to keep yourself from stressing about it. Comparing yourself with others is unproductive since there are many different factors when it comes to getting interviews so don't let it get to you. Hopefully things work out for you OP.
 
If you haven't had an interview invite by January 3, sign up for the April MCAT and start thinking about how you will improve your application for a re-application and what you'll do in the glide year(s). You might not need it but it is good to be prepared.

What is so significant about Jan 3rd?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823958
That is my app. I am working full time at the moment and have not been volunteering regularly other than fund raising events for the clinic when they take place. Do you have any suggestion that I could do to prep for next year? Thanks.
 
What is so significant about Jan 3rd?


First work day of the New Year.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823958
That is my app. I am working full time at the moment and have not been volunteering regularly other than fund raising events for the clinic when they take place. Do you have any suggestion that I could do to prep for next year? Thanks.

You've taken the MCAT 3 times so there isn't much hope of improvement there (particularly if a school averages your scores). You've finished school so there isn't much hope of improving gpa. So, you can do research, get more clinical experience (which it sounds like you are doing on the job), do more community service/volunteerism (need not be medical -- it could be weekend tutoring or adult literacy program, etc) and be a leader in the community....

If schools don't take you this year, what will you have to offer next time that will make you a stronger applicant... that's what you need to be thinking about.
 
If you haven't had an interview invite by January 3, sign up for the April MCAT and start thinking about how you will improve your application for a re-application and what you'll do in the glide year(s). You might not need it but it is good to be prepared.

Hi LizzyM,

I am a senior in college. I have a GPA of 3.97. I took MCAT twice(V7, P12, B13, M ; V8, P14, B10 N). I am an international student and I still haven't got any interview invitations yet. If I don't get in this year, do you think I should take MCAT again?
 
If you haven't had an interview invite by January 3, sign up for the April MCAT and start thinking about how you will improve your application for a re-application and what you'll do in the glide year(s). You might not need it but it is good to be prepared.


I am normally in the LizzyM fan club, and agree with nearly all of her/his comments, but this particularly one has me scratching my head.


Retake a superbly balanced MCAT of 33 (PS11 VR11 BS11)?
 
I am normally in the LizzyM fan club, and agree with nearly all of her/his comments, but this particularly one has me scratching my head.


Retake a superbly balanced MCAT of 33 (PS11 VR11 BS11)?

3.65, 33 (11, 11,11) from California. Aside from moving to Georgia or something -- what can a Californian do to improve an application? Retaking the MCAT is an option.
 
OP, did you apply to any TX schools? They are cheap to apply to, and I bet you would have a good chance getting an interview to one of them. Also, is there anything that makes your app stand out? Unique challenges, personal experience with medicine or anything like that?
 
Submitted AMCAS in June, letters were in as well since July, CA resident from UCSD, 3.65 overall GPA, 3.55 science GPA, with 3.8+ GPA last 2 years, balanced 11, 11, 11=33Q mcat...good extracurriculars, student organization leadership activities, lots of clinical work, 1 year of research...
I applied to about 30 schools 1/3 reaches 1/3 about my stats 1/3 a bit below my stats, received secondaries from all UC schools and others

Most secondaries have been submitted since mid august to early september, so far-
rejected from Boston Uni, UCSF (today), Georgetown
on hold at GW, Drexel, Penn State, Baylor
and under review at the rest

I am wondering if there's a flaw in my application as I am from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background and seem to have all bases covered but so far no interviews while friends with lesser stats and equal extracurriculars have 1 or 2 already...I am naturally very optimistic but at this point feel kind of dim about the future. Do some people receive their 1st interviews later on? I dont understand since I applied fairly early.

Agree with others: hope for best, prepare for worst.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3.65, 33 (11, 11,11) from California. Aside from moving to Georgia or something -- what can a Californian do to improve an application? Retaking the MCAT is an option.

Lizzy let's be fair now, there are plenty of things that the OP could do now that would get you to look more seriously at his resume. These come to mind:

1) Take 3 years off and miraculously publish 2 first author papers in fields your medical school is very keen of.

2) Win a Rhodes Scholarship or a Marshall (don't know what year the OP is in).

3) Win a Fulbright and travel to Uganda and set up his or her own nonprofit that flourishes into a large international organization.

But wait, given that you directed him to retake the MCAT, does this mean that I have been right all along???? I knew I was right, I just knew it. The MCAT is everything, isn't it 🙂
 
3.65, 33 (11, 11,11) from California. Aside from moving to Georgia or something -- what can a Californian do to improve an application? Retaking the MCAT is an option.

Point taken, certainly any score below a 45 on the MCAT could be retaken to improve. However, unless the OP scored considerably higher on his practice MCATs, I think the time investment to improving a score of 33 by several points is a gamble at best.

OP could you try contacting the schools that rejected you and ask for some insight on what parts of your application is hindering your chances at said school?
 
  • There is no point in worrying about this until January.
  • There is no point in taking the MCAT before April or May.
  • Most schools that reject you won't talk to you about "why" until after the cycle is over (i.e. June). That's fine if you want to skip a cycle but if you want to get started improving the application sooner, you need to figure out how you can improve.

Sure the OP could apply for a Fulbright or a Rhodes scholarship or Teach for America or VISTA or Peace Corps, etc, etc or do research that changes the way we think about X. When all is said & done, it might be best to retake the MCAT, too, so that the scores don't expire before that study/service is over.

Frankly, I think there is a 50-50 that this will be a moot point by January.
 
Lizzy let's be fair now, there are plenty of things that the OP could do now that would get you to look more seriously at his resume. These come to mind:

1) Take 3 years off and miraculously publish 2 first author papers in fields your medical school is very keen of.

2) Win a Rhodes Scholarship or a Marshall (don't know what year the OP is in).

3) Win a Fulbright and travel to Uganda and set up his or her own nonprofit that flourishes into a large international organization.

But wait, given that you directed him to retake the MCAT, does this mean that I have been right all along???? I knew I was right, I just knew it. The MCAT is everything, isn't it 🙂

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permissiveness_(biology)