No interviews yet-Should I prep for next year?

Started by Maroon5777
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems like those receiving II currently are scheduling for dates in Jan/Feb for most schools. Doesn't this mean we should start to panic, since the interview season concludes in March/April for most schools? Which means most of the interview slots are GONE by now?

Not trying to sound the alarm bell, but do we really have as much time as some people are pointing out?
For example, the Oakland University SOM website has a handy interviews given out/total number of potential interviews for this cycle.
The number currently reads: ~301/420. How can we know this is not the case for the other schools out there?

https://www.oakland.edu/?id=16523&sid=340
 
There has to be flaws in your apps if you have the numbers and are not getting in. I'd guess it is the LORs...
 
Submitted AMCAS in June, letters were in as well since July, CA resident from UCSD, 3.65 overall GPA, 3.55 science GPA, with 3.8+ GPA last 2 years, balanced 11, 11, 11=33Q mcat...good extracurriculars, student organization leadership activities, lots of clinical work, 1 year of research...
I applied to about 30 schools 1/3 reaches 1/3 about my stats 1/3 a bit below my stats, received secondaries from all UC schools and others

Most secondaries have been submitted since mid august to early september, so far-
rejected from Boston Uni, UCSF (today), Georgetown
on hold at GW, Drexel, Penn State, Baylor
and under review at the rest

I am wondering if there's a flaw in my application as I am from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background and seem to have all bases covered but so far no interviews while friends with lesser stats and equal extracurriculars have 1 or 2 already...I am naturally very optimistic but at this point feel kind of dim about the future. Do some people receive their 1st interviews later on? I dont understand since I applied fairly early.


This is how I see it (2nd time reapplicant, just been accepted). If you don't have an interview before January, you are very unlikely to get in (this economy is horrible = admissions # are through the roof).

Stop crying about it, take a good look at your application, address what you think the problems are, and apply again.

The numbers for the OP are great. I would not touch them. You still have ~2 more years with that MCAT.

You applied early, but what happened with the secondaries? You have to send those back as soon as you get them. If it isn't 3-4 days after you get them, what are you doing? I'm talking early-mid August. If September rolls around, you have been messing around (unless they didn't send them till September, in that case you had no choice).

I would talk to your LOR people, and get a better feel for them. Spread your LOR out among all the activities you are doing. Find out how many LOR you can send to each school. Some schools allow for more LOR while you are waitlisted/applying.

Additionally, I would continue to do volunteer work, research the medical schools more, rewrite all your secondary application essays tailored directly to every medical school you apply to (do not cut and paste, most of these secondaries do not change).

If you are graduating soon, FIND A JOB NOW. Look into research, community non-profits, AmeriCorp, etc type jobs. If you want some advice for a research job, do not tell them you want to be a physician. Ph.D.s really dislike pre-med students padding resumes or CVs just for medical school.

Some more advice:

Being on hold at GW = not happening, Penn = semi-not happening, Baylor = bad; Rejected from BU = do not apply again, UCSF = maybe apply again if you get some research papers published (you will need at least 2 years off to do this, correctly) or do AmeriCorps, Georgetown = I don't know..., Drexel = slim chance

If you really want this - pick yourself up, don't give up, hope for the best, try again. If you get in this cycle, that's wonderful, but you need to start now if you want to reapply. I was exactly like you. It took me doing all that I just explained to not be exactly like you anymore.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the advice guys....first, i found out that my research pi wrote a bad letter, so can never trust anyone's word of mouth, so that is a reason i guess for the lack of good news....but still, i woke up today to an interview invite, so glad! its mmi tho, i dont know how to prepare.
 
Thanks for the advice guys....first, i found out that my research pi wrote a bad letter, so can never trust anyone's word of mouth, so that is a reason i guess for the lack of good news....but still, i woke up today to an interview invite, so glad! its mmi tho, i dont know how to prepare.

Out of curiosity, how did you discover that he wrote a bad letter?
 
Thanks for the advice guys....first, i found out that my research pi wrote a bad letter, so can never trust anyone's word of mouth, so that is a reason i guess for the lack of good news....but still, i woke up today to an interview invite, so glad! its mmi tho, i dont know how to prepare.

That sucks! I know my LORs are strong, because I specifically asked "Would you be comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation?". None of them hesitated, so I was content.

Honestly though, even with your great stats, you should be very grateful you already got an invite. A bad LOR will sink an app entirely at most places.

GL with the interview! :luck:
 
+1

While speaking openly with the interviewer during one of my interviews, she mentioned that in the week prior she interviewed an applicant with great credentials from a top ivy - but one of the applicant's LORs contained a pretty bad/damning review... The interviewer proceeded to indicate that she would not be recommending the applicant for acceptance due to the letter.

...so, yea, they can be pretty powerful sometimes.

I'm applying for job interviews and the interviewer openly joked about it, I was kind of shocked. The PI still recommended me for medicine but said some not such good things. And I had clearly asked for a STRONG letter and he was content to write one. Well anyway, I am cutting that letter out and sending a few more last apps to schools without his letter, what a jerk.
 
Hey man glad to hear you got an interview! I'm in the same position as you basically 🙁. I applied to 23 schools, have a 3.9 GPA from UCSB, 3.95 (science), and a 30Q MCAT. I turned in my secondaries from mid-July to the beginning of August. I have only been rejected from 2: UC Irvine and Michigan. But everyday I wake up to a friend on facebook already being accepted that had a lower GPA and the same MCAT as me. It's very frustrating not having an interview yet, but I've learned that patience broods excellence and positive vibes. Worrying really doesn't do anything, although I am going to start calling the schools and talking with the officers to get them to maybe take another look at my app. You seem like a cool person, I know a lot of D-bags that have got into medical school that cheated their way through college. Lets just hope some people like us can get in.
 
Hey man glad to hear you got an interview! I'm in the same position as you basically 🙁. I applied to 23 schools, have a 3.9 GPA from UCSB, 3.95 (science), and a 30Q MCAT. I turned in my secondaries from mid-July to the beginning of August. I have only been rejected from 2: UC Irvine and Michigan. But everyday I wake up to a friend on facebook already being accepted that had a lower GPA and the same MCAT as me. It's very frustrating not having an interview yet, but I've learned that patience broods excellence and positive vibes. Worrying really doesn't do anything, although I am going to start calling the schools and talking with the officers to get them to maybe take another look at my app. You seem like a cool person, I know a lot of D-bags that have got into medical school that cheated their way through college. Lets just hope some people like us can get in.

That is a great GPA, I hope things work out for you man!
 
Hey man glad to hear you got an interview! I'm in the same position as you basically 🙁. I applied to 23 schools, have a 3.9 GPA from UCSB, 3.95 (science), and a 30Q MCAT. I turned in my secondaries from mid-July to the beginning of August. I have only been rejected from 2: UC Irvine and Michigan. But everyday I wake up to a friend on facebook already being accepted that had a lower GPA and the same MCAT as me. It's very frustrating not having an interview yet, but I've learned that patience broods excellence and positive vibes. Worrying really doesn't do anything, although I am going to start calling the schools and talking with the officers to get them to maybe take another look at my app. You seem like a cool person, I know a lot of D-bags that have got into medical school that cheated their way through college. Lets just hope some people like us can get in.

Yup..we need sum chill ppl in med school too...not jus the ones who bite each other's neck off just to get an A or win the teacher's favor. lol....but i agree about patience, u still have 21 chances, be patient and hope for the best....and send in loi or call schools, it can only help....Also try to make ur app stronger (or remove weaknesses such as bad lor in my case) in case u need to apply this coming cycle. best of luck!