This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1234567891011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working on my TMDSAS and AMCAS activities, and realized I don't really have anything that clearly goes into the Leadership category. Will I be at a huge disadvantage if I don't put anything in this category? I'm really worried about this, to the point where I'm considering applying next year instead. I have a really good MCAT and GPA, but this leadership thing is worrying me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What's the rest of your app like? I'd look reallllly hard and see if you can't derive something from your previous activities, work, etc. Probably more there than you think.

Reactions: 2 users
What's the rest of your app like? I'd look reallllly hard and see if you can't derive something from your previous activities, work, etc. Probably more there than you think. Honestly not sure how much it's going to hurt, but I had the same concern when I saw the AMCAS.
I have significant experience volunteering at a clinic for the underserved and plan to volunteer with Hospice this next year before med school. My GPA and MCAT are 3.95 and 98th percentile, respectively.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have significant experience volunteering at a clinic for the underserved and plan to volunteer with Hospice this next year before med school. My GPA and MCAT are 3.95 and 98th percentile, respectively.

U r good man...with those stats u can really go to any school u want

I'm currently working on my TMDSAS and AMCAS activities, and realized I don't really have anything that clearly goes into the Leadership category. Will I be at a huge disadvantage if I don't put anything in this category? I'm really worried about this, to the point where I'm considering applying next year instead. I have a really good MCAT and GPA, but this leadership thing is worrying me.
Leadership tends to be more valued at highly-selective, research-oriented schools that aim to train "future Leaders in Medicine." And their mission statements often say this. For most others, leadership is not essential, and its lack can be compensated for by strength in other arenas.

Reactions: 3 users
Leadership tends to be more valued at highly-selective, research-oriented schools that aim to train "future Leaders in Medicine." And their mission statements often say this. For most others, leadership is not essential, and its lack can be compensated for by strength in other arenas.
Do you think it'd be worth my time applying to schools like WUSTL, Harvard, and Mayo with my lack of significant leadership experience?

Do you think it'd be worth my time applying to schools like WUSTL, Harvard, and Mayo with my lack of significant leadership experience?
Hard to say without knowing about your ECs. You stats are fine obviously.

Top schools do like to see demonstrated leadership which can usually be found in activities for which you have extensive involvement and productivity/distinction.