No MD interviews--tips for reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycdreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied quite late in the cycle, for most schools I was complete by mid-late September because I retook my MCAT in July and did my secondaries after that due to studying for finals and the MCAT earlier on in the summer. I have yet to hear back from several schools, but I am not too hopeful.

I have received a DO acceptance, but it is not a great school and it is relatively new. I am afraid that the quality of my education won't be that great. I am on hold for an interview at 2 MD schools and 2 DO schools. I have a cGPA of 3.55 and a sGPA of 3.3, my MCAT score is 506. I was told by an admissions committee that the rest of my application is great, the only problem is my sGPA. I was advised to look into a masters program. Is it possible to apply to a SMP, such as Temple, and complete my med school applications earlier this cycle and update schools on my performance in the SMP to avoid taking 2 more gap years? Is there any other way to improve my application and chances of getting into a MD program?

Members don't see this ad.

Why apply DO if you didn't plan on attending? sGPA and MCAT are both pretty low for MD. What was your first MCAT? Some schools average scores so it might not be worth retaking.

Reactions: 2 users
MCAT is low, and given that it's a retake I assume your first score was even lower. Averaging those scores plus a low sGPA plus being late bodes for an unsuccessful season.
I was told by an admissions committee that the rest of my application is great, the only problem is my sGPA.
I really don't think that's the case for MD programs.

SMP is risky. Currently you have an acceptance to become a doctor. Doing poorly in an SMP would make your end-goal an uphill battle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I would be happy going to a DO school as well, but when I visited the one that I have been accepted at, I discovered that it's not for me. The school is LUCOM, which is new and quite religious--which I am afraid may impact my education in some way.

I received this input from an admissions dean at a great MD school. My first MCAT was quite low, it was a 501. I was also told by the dean to retake the MCAT once again.

So entering any masters program would be risky--what should I do to increase my chances for the next application cycle if I don't hear back from more schools within the next few weeks?

Reactions: 1 users
Win the nobel peace prize.
Okay; In seriousness, I personally would take the accept.
Do well in med school and you could potentially do well in the match.

Thanks for the replies. I would be happy going to a DO school as well, but when I visited the one that I have been accepted at, I discovered that it's not for me. The school is LUCOM, which is new and quite religious--which I am afraid may impact my education in some way.

I received this input from an admissions dean at a great MD school. My first MCAT was quite low, it was a 501. I was also told by the dean to retake the MCAT once again.

So entering any masters program would be risky--what should I do to increase my chances for the next application cycle if I don't hear back from more schools within the next few weeks?

Please remember that declining a DO school will make future cycle DO acceptances harder to come by.

Without some amazing ECs or crazy life story or something I think MD would be pretty difficult with your current MCAT and GPA. If you truly don't want to go to LUCOM and would rather reapply it might be worth retaking courses you got low grades in to increase your GPA with grade replacement. I'd probably go with the acceptance and not have to take a year off and retake classes but that's up to you. Good luck!

How are the clinical rotation sites at the med school? Are they at established hospital / office sites? that's probably a bit more important than the 2 didactic / classroom years of med school. Honestly I think I learned the most during rotations and residency.

I was in a similar situation as you when I was applying to med school. I ultimately chose to go to the more established med school rather than the "new" med school.

But if you don't get any more acceptances...I would think really really really long and hard about giving up a guaranteed med school acceptance to try to reapply in one or two years.

Wait isn't it true that if you decline a DO (or MD) acceptance and reapply, you will essentially be "blacklisted" from most schools (in that same category, whether DO or MD) and won't get an acceptance for poor judgement/reasoning?

OP, how many DO schools did you apply to? Do you have other interviews/applications out there? Your chance at MD is slim and it is not worth it to do an SMP. Hopefully you can snag another DO acceptance that you will feel more comfortable at over LUCOM

You don't have a good enough shot at an MD to take a risk like that. I can only see this going terribly if/when you reapply and get no MD acceptances + no DO because you declined an acceptance.

Even if you have to suffer through 4 years, it's only 4 years. Don't screw up your chances for life.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't even follow the topic closely and I've heard LUCOM mentioned negatively many times, you're right to hesitate. But with a 3.3 sGPA and 26/29 MCATs I think aiming at MD should be seen only as a reach. If you reapply you should go into it expecting that improving your app for the next 6 or 18 months would leave solid DO schools as your best feasible target.

What was your DO list? If it was broad enough, I am surprised LUCOM was the only place that bit. Your MCAT, even if it is a retake, is slightly above average for DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my DO list:

AZCOM, CCOM, PCOM, NYIT, Touro NY, LECOM, Rowan, Des Moines, Western University.

Out of these, I'm on hold for an interview at AZCOM, Des Moines, and Western University. I've interviewed at NYIT and am waiting for a post-II decision. I get the feeling that many people believe I would be taking a huge risk turning down LUCOM and reapplying down the road. I guess I will have to think about this and hope for the best for the remainder of the current application season.

If you got in to a school, Id run with it. Sure it may not be the ideal school, but you will only have to be there for the first two years. Most DO schools have rotations off site. Work hard while there the first two years so that you can do well on the COMLEX and USMLE so you can get a good match into an MD residency. It will not make a difference at that point.

I had no interviews last round. I decided to retake the MCAT and studied my freakn butt off. Scored 10x better and had plenty of interviews this round. Easiest solution to strengthening your application is retaking the MCAT. Just make sure to go all out the second time.

I guess I will have to think about this and hope for the best for the remainder of the current application season.
100% the first step is painfully waiting to see how it plays out with your other II. Do you hear back from them in the next few weeks at least?

If that comes back as a reject or waitlist with little historical motion, then go do some research into LUCOM and decide if it is worth the time, money, stress and risk of reapplying to avoid them.

I applied quite late in the cycle, for most schools I was complete by mid-late September because I retook my MCAT in July and did my secondaries after that due to studying for finals and the MCAT earlier on in the summer. I have yet to hear back from several schools, but I am not too hopeful.

I have received a DO acceptance, but it is not a great school and it is relatively new. I am afraid that the quality of my education won't be that great. I am on hold for an interview at 2 MD schools and 2 DO schools. I have a cGPA of 3.55 and a sGPA of 3.3, my MCAT score is 506. I was told by an admissions committee that the rest of my application is great, the only problem is my sGPA. I was advised to look into a masters program. Is it possible to apply to a SMP, such as Temple, and complete my med school applications earlier this cycle and update schools on my performance in the SMP to avoid taking 2 more gap years? Is there any other way to improve my application and chances of getting into a MD program?

Not to sound mean, but if you were only able to get a DO acceptance at a "low tier" school, what makes you think you have a solid chance at a mid tier or above MD school? You are seriously gonna throw away years of potential earnings and accumulate more debt going into the SMP and reapplying just for a chance at a "better" medical school?

MD/DO doesn't matter when getting into competitive residencies if you don't get strong step scores (which almost every MS1 thinks they will get, and then randomly get a "passion" for PC when they get their step 1 score back). When it comes to the less competitive specialties, being a DO doesn't really matter. DOs even make the same amount as their MD counterpart.

I really don't get the thought process of OP.

Reactions: 2 users
Here's my DO list:

AZCOM, CCOM, PCOM, NYIT, Touro NY, LECOM, Rowan, Des Moines, Western University.

Out of these, I'm on hold for an interview at AZCOM, Des Moines, and Western University. I've interviewed at NYIT and am waiting for a post-II decision. I get the feeling that many people believe I would be taking a huge risk turning down LUCOM and reapplying down the road. I guess I will have to think about this and hope for the best for the remainder of the current application season.

Your school list sucked. You only applied to the most competitive DO schools and also randomly LUCOM... this should be a lesson to every applicant, don't apply to schools that you don't want to go to even if it is your only acceptance. That "worst case scenario" you keep talking about just might happen.

You have taken the MCAT twice already and have yet to get an MD worthy score. I would not retake, and I would forget about MD because that ship has sailed. I think at this point OP you have two options:
1- hope that NYIT comes through.
2- if they don't then look more into LUCOM (and not just on SDN, see if you can talk to current students) and if you really really hate the idea of going there then maybe reapply with a broad DO only application, like 20+ DO schools. (Obviously except LUCOM)

If you do choose to reapply to DO schools know that you run the risk of potentially not being a doctor if schools decide to blackball you because you turned down an acceptance, only you can decide if that risk is worth it.

I recommend aceing either a DIY post-bac or an SMP, and acing MCAT retake as well. I can understand not wanting to go to LUCOM. So, now the thing is to improve your app.

So out of curiosity, what was your impression of LUCOM and what did you not like about it? Super curious if it's as bad as people make it out to be.

Would retaking my MCAT be a viable option so I can have some sort of an improvement b/w last year's app and this year's app in addition to looking into SMPs to increase that sGPA? The thing with LUCOM is that no class has graduated yet and therefore I don't know what the residency placements will be like, combine that with the religious philosophy and location, it is not too appealing.

Since my post, I have gone up to 3 holds for an interview at DO schools, only 1 hold for an interview at a MD school, and have been waitlisted at my top choice DO school. @gyngyn

Would retaking my MCAT be a viable option so I can have some sort of an improvement b/w last year's app and this year's app in addition to looking into SMPs to increase that sGPA? The thing with LUCOM is that no class has graduated yet and therefore I don't know what the residency placements will be like, combine that with the religious philosophy and location, it is not too appealing.

Since my post, I have gone up to 3 holds for an interview at DO schools, only 1 hold for an interview at a MD school, and have been waitlisted at my top choice DO school. @gyngyn
An early strategic DO application is likely to be successful, even with modest interval improvements in your application.

Gonna hop in and agree with everyone that realistically speaking the MD ship has sailed.

Obviously DO ADCOMS know LUCOM has a questionable reputation (@Goro)
You obviously run the risk of being blackballed for turning down an accept, but it would appear given this particular situation you may be able to make a case that you were concerned you would not receive the best education possible.

That being said, you have a chance to be a doctor right now. It's really up to you to get good step scores. One could make a good argument as to why you should take the shot right now and go for it.

I would say this:

Your GPA leaves something to be desired, and the DO ADCOMS told you that it was your only weak point. You know what the problem is, so you have to address it. I would agree with goro that a DIY Postbacc or SMP may be helpful for boosting up that SGPA, and you could apply the cycle after next. (for the 2019 entering class)

It's really up to you as to whether the quality of your education warrants an extra year off and multiple thousands of dollars for graduate courses.

Good luck!

I wouldn't gamble on an MD acceptance at any point if I were you given your stats. If you really want MD, there are people who have posted on this board that have started DO and applied MD while in a DO school, but according to most reports, switching to MD did not help their prospects much.

If you really want MD, there are people who have posted on this board that have started DO and applied MD while in a DO school, but according to most reports, switching to MD did not help their prospects much.

To clarify for OP - I'm sure someone somewhere has done it, but it's really a very, very bad idea. Don't consider it as an option.