No words in an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stevvo111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any specific words that are ingrained into our brains that we should avoid at all costs at interviews? Of course no expletives, but are words such as "like" and "yeah", "uh-huh", "cool", "dunno" words that should be avoided?
I've used them in random interviews, and I came out thinking I sounding like a ******* but that could be me. I asked my bro if he used "yeah" at his interviews (which included mayo, harvard, cornell, etc.), and he said "yeah" (but he got rejected from them, not sure if it was his speech or other things)

What words shouldn't be used? And how could we replace them? Using "yes" instead of "yeah" sounds incredibly formal and out of place (especially if you practice using it on friends). And for "like" I just figured speaking slower so you don't have to use that word works great.

Members don't see this ad.

no doubt, same with "chill", "what up", "whats good", "aight", "word","fo sho"

Members don't see this ad :)
.......................:idea:
ummmmmm.............. oh!

Words invoking sexual imagery or actions....:smuggrin:

This is a good approach:

You: Sup wit chu dawgy dawg?

Interviewer: um.. good. Pleased to meet you for your interview today X

You: Good to see your ass. Me and my crew be chillin up round back smokin spliffs and **** while waiting for this crazy show to begin.

and so on...:thumbup:

also,

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY7anGG16u0[/YOUTUBE]

This is a good approach:

You: Sup wit chu dawgy dawg?

Interviewer: um.. good. Pleased to meet you for your interview today X

You: Good to see your ass. Me and my crew be chillin up round back smokin spliffs and **** while waiting for this crazy show to begin.

and so on...:thumbup:

excellent.

I expected "yeah you shouldn't say the words you listed because ....." but this discussion is much more funny and enjoying to read.

I expected "yeah you shouldn't say the words you listed because ....." but this discussion is much more funny and enjoying to read.

Just keep it formal, don't talk like urban trash and you'll do great.

:laugh: this thread is awesome. on a more serious note, though, I try to avoid the others, but I've definitely used "yeah" and even "yup" at multiple interviews and haven't had any problems. I doubt something as silly as using "yeah" over "yes" is going to keep you out of a school. Some other words might wanna be avoided, but I didn't consciously avoid that one.

Jerk. "Hung like a moose." ******. Jack*ss. "Murse." The list goes on.... Just use some discretion.

Ideally, the whole process should go like this:

[YOUTUBE]XgpRjZKM_Tw[/YOUTUBE]

I think "parking" is something that should also never be mentioned...