Nocturnist salary differential

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hikikomori

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the typical rate for an employed nocturnist gig in upstate/western NY? I was offered $132/hr. I was advised that it was too low. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the typical rate for an employed nocturnist gig in upstate/western NY? I was offered $132/hr. I was advised that it was too low. Is this true?
yes...big city like NYC maybe ok, but otherwise nocturnist should get you at least 150/hr...truly BFE or requiring procedures...170 should be the lowest.

Like as moonlighting during residency or a real job?

I wouldn't babysit an LTAC overnight for that kind of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, it requires procedures including lines, intubations, codes. Open MICU/CCU. It is a real job after residency. So, even for let's say Rochester/Buffalo/Syracuse NY, it is still low? Their hospitalist rate is $115/hr. I just want to make sure they are not low balling me.. It seems the salary for the day hospitalist is also in the low 210 in Rochester. All 7 on/off. No PTOs. I wonder if this is the norm in NY state outside NYC.

Last edited:
Good Lord, I would never live in NYC. That's about half of what I make hourly in EM....

yes, it requires procedures including lines, intubations, codes. Open MICU/CCU. It is a real job after residency. So, even for let's say Rochester/Buffalo/Syracuse NY, it is still low? Their hospitalist rate is $115/hr. I just want to make sure they are not low balling me.. It seems the salary for the day hospitalist is also in the low 210 in Rochester. All 7 on/off. No PTOs. I wonder if this is the norm in NY state outside NYC.
No idea if it's the norm or not. But it's really sh***y.

Don't go to an open icu. You are either an internist or an intensivist.

If it makes you feel any better I live in an area where a single healthcare system dominates the entire region and has fixed non-negotiable rates for hospitalists. The differential between day and nights here is ~15/hr but our nocturnists get paid less than your day hospitalists. It is all about location but as healthcare systems continue to merge and evolve with Obamacare we are going to see consolidation of negotiating power in the hospitals and all of our wages will go down as a result.

yes that is low....i was getting 145/hr in boston (had a housing stipend so actually a good deal with that thrown in) and boston is considered a much more desirable city than rochester/buffalo/syracuse area (and no icu, procedures, or even codes...the residents did that, but did staff the residents admits and do table rounds with them).