noise cancelling headphones or earplugs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koogles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been using disposable earplugs but have found them to be quite uncomfortable at times and am worried about getting an infection from prolonged use.
Does anyone know any good noise-cancelling headphones that can cancel out talking without having to play music?

I would consider Bose, but I've heard that they use active noise control, which isn't effective for varying frequencies (ie, people talking at the library)

Members don't see this ad.

there was a thread on this a couple weeks ago

there was a thread on this a couple weeks ago

Exactly. It's probably still on page 2 or 3.

You're not likely to get infections from disposable earplugs, as long as you're actually disposing of them :)

Members don't see this ad :)
JVC Marshmallow Headphones. They're something of a combination ear plug/headphone. I use them with some light static and you can't hear anything.

You could always strap a pillow to either side of your head.

There are tons of great noise canceling headphones out there but the prices range drastically.

I have the Shure E2Cs. Which are around $80 I believe. THere are other ones in that range with comparable review (Ultimate Ear Super.Fi 3 and Etymotic ER6iC).

Good headphones are definitely worth it since you can't always find a quiet study area

And then you could always spring for one of these
cone_of_silence1.jpg

lol i had the same problem...go with the earplugs...i noticed that when people are typing you can still hear them with noise cancelling headphones. just buy a 100 pack from walgreens and use a new pair everyday

Active noise canceling headsets such as Bose QC are good in airplanes with a constant type of noise but not with people talking. I have a set of Sony MDR-NC60 which is $150 rather than the $300 price tag of Bose and feel is just as good. It has a couple of features which the Bose lacks.

For people talking, what else can you do but just use styrofoam plugs? If there is a better alternative, I'd love to know!

I'd get a pair of reusable ear plugs to keep with you, and then get some in-the-ear canal headphones for when you want to listen to some music.

For ear plugs I use something like this: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/holesmreearp.html
I like these better than the disposable foam ones, was just what I was used to wearing while drumming. Can find them at a decent music store. Never had a problem reusing these. Have used the ones I have for probably a couple of years now without a problem.... drumming, gun range, studying, etc....

For headphones I use these: (Sony in-ear-canal)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5335728&type=product&id=1051826204625
I CAN'T stand the normal ear buds that just sit in the ear, not comfortable at all and don't block any outside sound. These pretty much seal off the ear canal so they block a lot of outside sound, give a better bass response, and let me play the music softer. I can be a sound quality snob and for the price these sound great to me. Shure has some really good in-ear-canal ones also, but I think they're at least $100. And usually I'm listening to mp3s so the music's already compressed and has lost some quality anyway. You can also find in-ear-canal phones that have noise canceling also.

I also have a pair of the Bose noise canceling (over the ear) headphones and they sound great, and the noise canceling is among the best out there.... but like was mentioned above, it's really useful for constant low frequency background sounds, like an airplane engine, air-conditioner noise, or just any general single-tone continuous sound.

My noise canceling headphones (Sennheiser) work very well for repeated noises within their frequency range (airplane engines, fans...), but they only muffle voices or other non-repeated noises. I would recommend that you get over-the-ear (workshop or target shooting) headphones. You won’t look cool but you’ll only drop 10 bucks, they’ll do a better job off blocking voices, and they don’t take batteries.

Some of the noise canceling headphones work because they have active noise canceling, but they also fit very tightly around your ear. Honestly, if you are in locations that are so loud that get through some of those, then you should just find a quieter place to study. I use the super soft ear plugs when I absolutely have to study. I can't stand in-ear headphones or the harder ear plugs. They make my ears ache after about 20 minutes.

It'd be better with Active noise cancelling headphones, if you use earplugs it's just boring, no music.

It'd be better with Active noise cancelling headphones, if you use earplugs it's just boring, no music.

He's already found a pair so useful that he wouldnt even realize you're talking here.

Reactions: 1 user
Note that people have different size ear canals. (no really!)

I have earplugs I can wear for 12+ hours straight with no discomfort. They also block almost any noise. (Sometimes other people in my house are disturbed by my alarm clock, but I have to turn it loud so I can actually hear it!)

I use Max Lite made by Howard Leight (link posted above). You can find bulk lots on ebay for a couple pennies a pair.

Reactions: 1 user