This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postponemastudentloan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently volunteering in a hospital & was going to switch to a free clinic because I can actually use my nursing license to help out there. However, I haven’t started any nonclinical volunteering. What are some types of good nonclinical volunteering?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless shelter, tutoring kids whose families can't afford a tutor, tutoring adults in literacy or ESL classes. Mentoring kids (Big Brother/Big Sister, Scouts) or immigrant/refugee adults. Friendly visitor to shut-ins, meals on wheels. Adaptive sports program coach or Special Olympics.

Anything that helps people unable to help themselves and that is outside of a patient-care setting.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Here's my list. I'll be stealing from my pal LizzyM's list now.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Reactions: 4 users