Non-jupas MBBS/ MBchB 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcdbruins

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I just wanted to create a new thread for those of us who are applying as a non-jupas applicant to either HKU or CUHK for medicine 2009. I know that the application process is fairly competitive and spots available are really limited. So yeah, hopefully this thread can be a place for all of us to share information about our applications, statues, interviews or just a place for us to offer support to each other during these months of waiting!

Happy Chinese New Year!

May all our dreams and goals be fulfilled in this year of ox!

mcdbruins.

Members don't see this ad.

Good Luck Everyone. Boy, the wait is killing me. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know anything about the HKU Non-jupas interview? Is it in English/Cantonese? Is it group/individual?

It's a mixture of both. I heard the JUPAS interview was conducted in groups, but not sure about NON-JUPAS.

Hey Crispy, you received an invite already?

nope, just anticipating. the wait is already killing me!

Yup as always :p
Are you applying through the Non-Jupas (Non-Local) or (Local)?

Havent checked this forum for awhile...I am glad to see a few ppl are also in my boat.

A few questions...

Have you guys received confirmation email/letter after submitting your application to HKU, if it;s paper apps?

Do you know when they would normally notify applicants for interviews? Like the earliest?

Dr. richie and crispyroll, may I know where you guys are applying from?

Hope all of us will get in. XD

hey.. I have applied to Hong Kong Uni as well, but i am studying at Malaysian med school at the moment, seems that have a low chance to get in, but all of us have to cheer up!!!! and dont stress yourself too much... All the best to all of you!!!!!

Hi mcdbruins, I am applying from Canada. So far I haven't heard much from the schools. How about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my application online since it's slightly cheaper then sent in my supporting docs in person (with the help of a friend). No confirmation emails from HKU but got one for CU. For CU, so far I had only received their newsletters through emails. For HKU, the medi dept did ask me to fax in the transcripts (even though I submitted those along with my supporting docs). As for interviews, I have no idea since that's my first time applying but I heard they could be hosted in April or June.

Hey Dr. Richie,

I havent heard back from hku and cu also. I turned in both applications in paper with the help of my parents in hk. I only heard back from cuhk abt two weeks after I turned in my apps...in the form of a confirmation letter, and also one newsletter from email as well. As for hku, i hear nothing from them.not even any forms of confirmation as they have said on the website.

Are you graduating this year? coz i called up CUHK ytd...I called becoz I was wondering if mbchb has started inviting ppl for interviews coz according to the website, now is the time that the non-jupas scheme starts to notify ppl who applied before early consideration deadline. She told me they started to invite ppl and also reject ppl...but for ppl like me who are gonna graduate...they might not give interviews until I have our final GPA...but then it's not gonna do me any good coz I have to take one summer class until end of july ....and i feel like having interviews that late is kinda a disadvantage...

so for degree-holders-yet-to-be...i think interviews come in around june or july. apirl rounds are for those students who study in uk and take gce or equivalent...

Hey mcdbruins, I actually graduated a year ago from my grad studies. Still haven't heard anything so far regarding interviews as I know getting into medical schools in HK aren't easy (may be slightly better than Canada I guess but still pretty hard). I don't think it's really a disadvantage to have your interview at a later time since neither school uses rolling admission like in other countries. Are you from Canada as well?

Dr. Richie,

Thanks for your reply. I am not from Canada, but close now. Your neighbor country USA...haha.

I do think that hku and cuhk are doing rolling basis coz I knew someone who had her interview a few years ago for hku in late april and got accepted a few days afterwards. And someone who got into cuhk got rejected from hku a week after the interview. So to me, having the interview at a later time seems to be a disadvantage as they must have seen ppl that they really like before interviewing me...

Please leave me your contact if you want through private msg so that we can discuss more.

All the best.

hey all,
im a non jupas as well n waiting rather impatiently for the notification bout interviews too :(

i was just on their site tho, n it sed that non- jupas interviews are normally held in july/august but then on their other page it just vaguely sed april/june/july...so confusing

oo n i heard that some non jupas guy got 2 interviewers in their interview!

Hi all,
I am also applying through non-jupas for HKU and CUHK. I am wondering if anyone got any invitation for interviews? I am still waiting too and thanks for keeping me updated!

Hey,

This is my first time applying to HKU.

I wonder if the HKU status link is going to be as uninformative as CUHK.

Hope to converse with you all later!

:idea:

! Hey - Major info !

Did anyone else attend the CUHK interview for April 9th?

I had heard :eek: from a friend of mine that is finishing his undergrad degree in North America this year had attended this interview.

I wonder when the other interview slots will be send out.

As well, do you guys know when the HKU interviews will be send out?

Thanks!

Thanks for the update!
I should have posted some updates here too since i am the one who started this thread.

As far as I know, HKU has sent out invitation to non-jupas degree holders/undergrads abt 2 weeks ago. It was sent out as an email. There are two interview dates, June 9th and June 10th. Interviews will be conducted both in chinese and english,as stated in the email. And it was emphasized in the email that being invited doesnt guarantee acceptance.

As for CUHK, I know there's an interview held in April. There will be two more dates, one in June and one in July. As for as I know, they havent shortlisted ppl for these two dates yet.

btw, your frd's frd got invited as an undergrad? does he or she have really outstanding grades? coz as a graduating senior, I was told that interivew decisions might only be sent out until I have my final transcript.

Oh dear, there goes my chances for HKU! :(

He has a GPA of ~8.9 or 3.81 ish I think. Not too high, right?

So does that mean we have to send to the ppl at CUHK our final transcript in April ish?

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Orthopedic1987,

Please dun feel discouraged if u have yet received an email abt interivew. I would suggest u to log onto the HKU website to see if the status of your application is "still being considered"...if that's the case, you might still have a chance...if i were you, i would even call the faculty of medicine up to confirm if you are really not on the list...

Abt CUHK, i really have no clues what their selection process is...I was told that some people might not be able to get invited back unless they have sent in their final transcript. However, in my case, my final transcript wont be available until early august...so i am just sending them the most recent ones that I have.

I guess...if we are shortlisted for the june interview...then we should be notified at least 2-4 weeks in advance. So i dun expect to hear from them at this point..probably in May then.

let me know if u have any other questions.

Btw, since A- is 3.7...i guess a 3.81 is a really decent gpa. not sure how they decide to invite some people but not others coz my gpa is higher than ur frd's frd...but yeah...=)

I am a high school graduate applying through non-jupas, have HKU sent out interviews invitations already? Also when will CUHK send out invitations, cause they contacted me about an offer for my second choice but medicine is still underconsideration. Thanks for all the info!

HKU had already sent out their invitation through email on April 3rd. If you haven't received one, better contact them to confirm. As for CUHK, haven't heard from them so far.

omg i havent got any invites to both hku and cu :S they're still "under consideration" apparently and im so worried cos clocks ticking :(

pheebs, you better contact HKU since the invitation should be out already. As for CU, many of us are on the same boat even though I have heard people being invited to the April 9th interview.

Hey everyone,

Do we know approximately when the interview dates are for this year?

HKU

June 9 / 10 (invited April)

What about others??

CUHK

April 9 (March I think) ,
June ,
July,
??August??

Please update if known

p.s. I would specifically want to know if there are other interview dates for HKU. Thanks!!!!

For HKU, that's it. Those two days are the only time for non-jupas applicants. For CU, I heard there is one in June and one in July but can't be exact.

OK I just called the med faculty and asked about whether my name is on the list for interviews and they sort of said to me that its still early stages and applications are still being processed. Dunno if that's really the case or if they were just shutting me down polietly :(

I definitely prefer them to cruelly reject me, instead of gently brushing us off with the wind that would crush our souls:( (lol) Great metaphor? :idea:

I keep on thinking that there is still hope. I've already memorized my HK ID number and my application number for CUHK, not yet for HKU (It'll be accomplished soon), since I routinely check every 2 hours. :eek:

The best thing is focus on the work that is in front of you. And if an interview offer pops up, you can think about that then, if it doesn't then you have prepared a perfect detour to spend prior to going into medi.

Yup, that's all I have to say for now. I know it is tough, and I am battling this insane craziness as well, but if I hear any more news, I'll give you guys a shout. :laugh:

About interview dates for both schools:

As far as I know, HKU has conducted some interviews (not sure if they were held in a single day or two) in April for non-jupas applicants who are not college undergrads/degree holders ( so i would say high school grads or ppl who are doing int school in hk).

The upcoming ones to be held on june 9th and 10th are for degree holders/overseas college undergrads. ( I dont want to be cruel...but I have called to ask before whether there are alternative dates as my finals and commencement are on 11th and 13th, the lady in the faculty of med told me nope...so I am not sure if they would shortlist ppl for another interview date)

And for CUHK, there should be one in june and one in july. I called to ask abt it. The admin. lady told me she has no clues abt when the list will be available for june's and july's...but pretty much it would be June 17th and July 14th (that's what she told me...but dun quote me on this..haha). She said there might be some interviews held in august for those UK students having their GCEs results released in august.

Hang in there people...u are not alone!

My motto in this everlasting application process= hope for the best and prepare for the worst. =)

what has everyone put as their second choice after medicine? have you guys heard from your 2nd choice yet?

Hey mcdbruins
which University you are now in?
do u mind to share with us ur GPA?

:confused:oh. .so DrRichie =mcdbruins?
I am kind of confused.

Haha, I am an evil twin of mcdbruins. J/K :laugh:
But most of us who got invited have a gpa of ~3.8 or more.
The university plays a role but not a major one (unless you are in Harvard, Cambridge, MIT, etc.)

So it may be easier if you tell us your stats. If you had already applied, you might probably know the results by now since you would have got an invitation from HKU or CU.

So do you know how many people get interviewed each day (6/9 and 6/10)/

DrPatricia,

Nope. I have no information on the numbers of people being invited on June 9th or 10th. But I can roughly make an educated guess for you. Since it's an individual interview, let's assume a 15-30 mins timeframe for each and there is only one set of interview being conducted each time (since the room number is the same on the invitation email). Then for one day from 9-12pm, I would guess there might be around 12 ppl, 12-1 for lunch, 1-5 the latest....afternoon session would have another 12-15 ppl.So for both days i would say around 50-60 maybe?

So, are you invited to HKU interview, DrPatricia? If you are, mcdbruins and I will see you there. :)

Boo....
May 12th, still no news from CU yet...
Their june's interview should be on the 17th, according to the person that I had spoken with....

BooBoo...we have to become Hiro Nakamura and teleport back to HK if they contact us a week before the interview :laugh:.

Last year, the CU interview took place on June 20, I recall that they sent me an email notification about a week before hand.

Thanks for ur info.
Were you in hk when they sent u the notification? coz how could they assume students from overseas have enough time to make arrangement to fly back with only one week of notice in advance?

yes, it's absurd. I was overseas and they expected me to come to HK in about 1 week.