Non-science classes for dental school admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ron94

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Docs,
I'm a junior Pre-dental who is applying for dental school soon. [ I have a great GPA and will take the DAT in the upcoming summer]. I have two concerns:

1) what non-science classes to take that can increase my chances of getting accepted to dental school ? (i had Psychology, Sociology, Public Speech, a year of English and world literature, and Art/music (i took calculus, but is statistics required?))

2) I also was wondering what Work experience, volunteer opportunities are preferred for dental schools (activities or involvements that shows your passion or interest in dentistry (other than shadowing)
- I'm an officer in my honor society and a mentor in the pre-proff. health program.
THANKS!!
 
Hello Docs,
I'm a junior Pre-dental who is applying for dental school soon. [ I have a great GPA and will take the DAT in the upcoming summer]. I have two concerns:

1) what non-science classes to take that can increase my chances of getting accepted to dental school ? (i had Psychology, Sociology, Public Speech, a year of English and world literature, and Art/music (i took calculus, but is statistics required?))

2) I also was wondering what Work experience, volunteer opportunities are preferred for dental schools (activities or involvements that shows your passion or interest in dentistry (other than shadowing)
- I'm an officer in my honor society and a mentor in the pre-proff. health program.
THANKS!!
some schools require a certain number of english or psychology classes, but taking more or a wider variety of those courses won't increase your chances at all. afaik, stats isn't required. do what you like most for volunteer work because they don't care what it is
 
Dental schools like to see a commitment to activities, volunteer work and shadowing. You will need a minimum of 60 hours of shadowing before you apply and preferably 100+ hours, or 200 hours with 6 or more dentists for some schools. When in the summer are you taking your DAT and planning to apply? What other activities/extracurriculars are you involved with. A good GPA is nice to have, but they want well rounded applicants.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dental schools like to see a commitment to activities, volunteer work and shadowing. You will need a minimum of 60 hours of shadowing before you apply and preferably 100+ hours, or 200 hours with 6 or more dentists for some schools. When in the summer are you taking your DAT and planning to apply? What other activities/extracurriculars are you involved with. A good GPA is nice to have, but they want well rounded applicants.

Probably will take it late summer (August) as i just finished Orgo and will be taking Microbiology and Biochem this upcoming semester.
I'm an officer (PR) for my Honor society and also mentoring other students in the pre-health programs right now. I'm looking for more involvement but my school is really small and Pre-med folks are taking over lol
( i'm supposed to start my first shadowing experience next week!!)
 
So taking Statistics is a waste of time/money? Is it tested on the DAT or just a small portion of the exam ( in other words, does taking it help student to prepare for the math section of the DAT ) ? thnx!
 
Probably will take it late summer (August) as i just finished Orgo and will be taking Microbiology and Biochem this upcoming semester.
I'm an officer (PR) for my Honor society and also mentoring other students in the pre-health programs right now. I'm looking for more involvement but my school is really small and Pre-med folks are taking over lol
( i'm supposed to start my first shadowing experience next week!!)

Your involvement doesn't only have to be science/dental related. Your lack of EC's, especially coming from a small school where getting involved is easier, will hurt your application. I would plan to take your DAT sooner and get your app in sooner.

Some dental schools require statistics or 2 semesters of math--usually calc and stats. I'd suggest you spend some time looking at the admission information Doc Toothache posted on the main pre-dent page.
 
Your involvement doesn't only have to be science/dental related. Your lack of EC's, especially coming from a small school where getting involved is easier, will hurt your application. I would plan to take your DAT sooner and get your app in sooner.

Some dental schools require statistics or 2 semesters of math--usually calc and stats. I'd suggest you spend some time looking at the admission information Doc Toothache posted on the main pre-dent page.

So If i don't take statistics, my application will be hurt. Will those schools that require Stat notify me after applying?? THNX
 
So If i don't take statistics, my application will be hurt. Will those schools that require Stat notify me after applying?? THNX

Sure, they will send you a rejection letter because you didn't meet their minimum requirements.
 
Check on the schools websites you are applying to and find out what they require, some schools list the recommend courses such as technical communications, mechanical drafting, architecture, public speech, etc.
Schools will not reject you simply because you didn't take stats, unless it's one of their requirements listed on their website.
 
Prerequisites are required prior to matriculation; they are not meant to be finished before you apply.
 
I checked few of the schools i have in mind... none of them have stat as "required" but some has it as "recommended".!! ???
( I have Calculus with an A on my Transcript, isn't this enough) ?
 
Check on the schools websites you are applying to and find out what they require, some schools list the recommend courses such as technical communications, mechanical drafting, architecture, public speech, etc.
Schools will not reject you simply because you didn't take stats, unless it's one of their requirements listed on their website.

I checked few of the schools i have in mind... none of them have stat as "required" but some has it as "recommended".!! ???
( I have Calculus with an A on my Transcript, isn't this enough) ?
 
I checked few of the schools i have in mind... none of them have stat as "required" but some has it as "recommended".!! ???
( I have Calculus with an A on my Transcript, isn't this enough) ?
Recommended=required for 99% of the applicants . Really though, is taking stats that big of a deal for you? Take it or don't but just do your homework before you apply and make sure you aren't applying to schools that require 2 semesters of math.


http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-school-admission.942453/page-2#post-17292380
 
Its not that of a big deal, just dont have the time to mess with math again, trying to take more upper division Biology now, and being a chem major at the same time!!