Non-science LOR, can I use this person?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THX

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out how to fulfill my non-science LOR req. Unfortunately, I don't trust my non-science profs in undergrad, they've all been jerks.

Anyways, I went to community college for 1 year, can I use a prof there as a LOR? She doesn't have a Phd though, just a masters.

Members don't see this ad.

If it is good/great use it. If it is just ok, don't.

LORs should be balanced. I had 2 LORs from very-well known science professors. 1 of them knew me well and wrote a great LOR, the other was OK, but his name was well recognized by nearly all my interviewers. I had 1 more from a physician and 1 from a philosophy prof. The philosophy professor wrote me the best LOR I've ever seen (it was read to me by one of my interviewers) and definitely helped in the admissions process.

Members don't see this ad :)
So would a SCUBA instructor (took classes through community college so he can be listed as a college teacher) count as non-science you guys think, or are they looking specifically for a humanities/social sciences teacher? I don't recall any classes in the past where I even knew the teacher's name, let alone they knew mine...only LOR I could get is from either my German or economics class I'm taking, I'm at the top of my econ class so I'm sure he'd be able to say good things about my academic abilities but I haven't talked to him that much outside class so I don't see how it could be much more than mediocre, and my German teacher...um, no. Just no.

On the other hand, my SCUBA instructor's known me (and most of my class for that matter) for close to a year so far and knows me a lot better than my other teachers, hence the question.

I'm trying to find out how to fulfill my non-science LOR req. Unfortunately, I don't trust my non-science profs in undergrad, they've all been jerks.

Anyways, I went to community college for 1 year, can I use a prof there as a LOR? She doesn't have a Phd though, just a masters.

So would a SCUBA instructor (took classes through community college so he can be listed as a college teacher) count as non-science you guys think, or are they looking specifically for a humanities/social sciences teacher? I don't recall any classes in the past where I even knew the teacher's name, let alone they knew mine...only LOR I could get is from either my German or economics class I'm taking, I'm at the top of my econ class so I'm sure he'd be able to say good things about my academic abilities but I haven't talked to him that much outside class so I don't see how it could be much more than mediocre, and my German teacher...um, no. Just no.

On the other hand, my SCUBA instructor's known me (and most of my class for that matter) for close to a year so far and knows me a lot better than my other teachers, hence the question.

you need to talk to the schools to which you are applying. or, if you really want to take SDN's word for it, go right ahead.

personally, i would not use a letter from a SCUBA instructor or a CC instructor with an MA

you need to talk to the schools to which you are applying. or, if you really want to take SDN's word for it, go right ahead.

personally, i would not use a letter from a SCUBA instructor or a CC instructor with an MA

Scuba instructor, no. But why wouldn't you use a letter from a CC instructor with an MA? They're instructors and if you've taken a class with them, what difference does it make?

Interesting...I'll have to E-mail a UCD SOM contact I have then, because I don't see how someone in my situation would be allowed to have a non-science LOR since all I have left to take is science classes when I start at Davis.

Don't use the scuba letter.

I'd definitely use the Scuba letter. The best letters are from people who know you the best. Getting a letter from a prof who teaches a humanities course but doesn't know you isn't going to do you any good. And they don't specify what kind of course the non-science prof had to teach. If nothing else, the scuba letter would set you apart.
this is one of those times when i'm glad I didn't find SDN until after I was done with my apps... theres a lot of great advice here, but it's important to stick to your own intuition too.

I wouldn't risk using the SCUBA instructor's letter as a non-science professor letter, but definitely send it in to the schools that allow you optional/personal rec letters. Like Ships said, it'll set you apart.

Thanks for the advice!

I'd definitely use the Scuba letter. The best letters are from people who know you the best. Getting a letter from a prof who teaches a humanities course but doesn't know you isn't going to do you any good. And they don't specify what kind of course the non-science prof had to teach. If nothing else, the scuba letter would set you apart.
this is one of those times when i'm glad I didn't find SDN until after I was done with my apps... theres a lot of great advice here, but it's important to stick to your own intuition too.

I wouldn't risk using the SCUBA instructor's letter as a non-science professor letter, but definitely send it in to the schools that allow you optional/personal rec letters. Like Ships said, it'll set you apart.

Hmm, great points guys. Davis' letter service suggests having 4-6 letters, 2 science, 1 non-science and then 1-3 more from employers (in healthcare fields), research mentors, personal, etc. I'll just use it as a personal letter.

I asked my econ teacher about a LOR today so it looks like I'm covered for non-science anyway since economics is considered a social science so that should certainly county as non-science....sounds like he's pretty confident he can write a glowing LOR...he said if he doesn't know the person too well then he just sits down with them over coffee and gets to know them a little, so that should work out ok.

Lots of good advice on this thread! :thumbup: