Non science major and prepharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endersgrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently just found and joined SDN. I'm a Criminal Justic major and also prepharm. I've always been interested in the health care field but hated taking the zoo/bio classes and chem degrees have way to much math for my taste. I was wondering about how many people choose to go prepharm with a degree in something nonscience related. Is this looked down on by pharm schools or is all about your prereq gpa. My roommate was wondering as well. She is a Spanish major and prepharm. Any imput would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think that schools look more favorably upon students who have a degree regardless of what it is in. An advantage to being a science major is that when applying your science gpa can consist of more classes, which may bump up your gpa and also prove that you are able to handle upper level science courses. However, if you aren't a science major, I would think that they would see you as more well rounded and as long as you do well in your prerequisites you should have no trouble getting in. I myself was a psychology major and had a minor in biology.

I got my degrees in History and English and didn't have a problem. Just do well on your science pre-reqs and try to get some experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just do well in all your prereqs and major in something that interests you (science or not), if nothing else you will enjoy your studies and have something unique to talk to in interviews and on your application. At worst you will be able to do something you truely like if you never get into pharmacy school.

Depending on the area in which your roomate plans on working, being a Spanish major actually might turn out to be a very advantagous thing. I regret not taking it.

I was wondering about the same thing also. For the past month I have been considering a language major, but worry that I won't be as competitive. My initial interest was math, but as time goes on I find I have other interests besides the chem/bio major.

French major, and they still let me in... :)

Thanks guys for all the feedback :) DownonthePharm (cool someone else from OK) where did you go to undergrad. I go to OU (Norman)

endersgrl: I did my undergrad in Michigan, at Michigan State, but moved to Oklahoma a few years ago to go to UCO for their criminalistics graduate program. Are you Ender17's grl? Or is that a name coincidence? :)

name coincidence. my fiance's gaming name is ender. so i am an ender's girl just not that ones :)