• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

To be MD

Med School Or Bust
7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Hi SDN,

I couldn't find the exact answer to my question, so here goes: I have not done any scientific research. That being said....

1) A 'research paper' I wrote was published in my university's undergraduate academic journal & was then later published in my professor's book on rhetoric.

2) Additionally, I took an upper level PSYC research methods & data analysis course where we designed, implemented, & wrote a ~14 pg. report on our observational research project (this was not published).

Do either (1) or (2) count in any respect as "research" in the eyes of ADCOMS? I'd really appreciate any feedback.

aldol16

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
(1) is still research - just not scientific. (2) doesn't sound like research but I come from academia so we have different standards than adcoms.

Reactions: To be MD

Goro

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Well, research is research, but 1a) has as much standing publishing an article in a school newspaper. Getting into a book in a decent accomplishment, UNLESS it was self-published by a vanity press.

#2) That's a course. I don't count that as research any more than the projects you do in orgo lab.

Hi SDN,

I couldn't find the exact answer to my question, so here goes: I have not done any scientific research. That being said....

1) A 'research paper' I wrote was published in my university's undergraduate academic journal & was then later published in my professor's book on rhetoric.

2) Additionally, I took an upper level PSYC research methods & data analysis course where we designed, implemented, & wrote a ~14 pg. report on our observational research project (this was not published).

Do either (1) or (2) count in any respect as "research" in the eyes of ADCOMS? I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Reactions: To be MD
About the Ads

Mansamusa

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If #2 was a thing, I would have like 20 pubs. That's just classwork, but it is possible to have classwork published

Reactions: md-2020

To be MD

Med School Or Bust
7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Well, research is research, but 1a) has as much standing publishing an article in a school newspaper. Getting into a book in a decent accomplishment, UNLESS it was self-published by a vanity press.

#2) That's a course. I don't count that as research any more than the projects you do in orgo lab.
Thank you guys! I really appreciate the input. I'll include it (@Goro it wasn't a vanity press)!

About the Ads