Non-sciene LOR (Faculty vs. Non-faculty)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hh786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Traditionally, med schools want 2 science 1 non-science, and maybe other letters (character letters, etc.). My predicament is that I took a class with a Humanities professor which was largely taught by a Post-Doc associate (has a PhD). The class was technically co-taught with a Faculty prof but she wasn't around the class as much. I asked the main professor for a letter but now I am doubting myself because on med school websites it says that they need to be faculty. This professor said she would write a very strong letter but brought up this concern.

Secondly, I called the med school office of a school that I would be applying to. It seems like this isn't that common a question so she went to reading the website and saying it says "faculty" so it would not be accepted but that I could use that letter as a character letter. It seems to me that the admissions office won't care that much if she was indeed a Professor (not a TA or even grad student) for the course. Should I ask to get the letter co-signed by the other teacher, or maybe a Dept. Chair? I don't really have anyone else non-science to ask that would be give me strong letters.

Members don't see this ad.