Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MD non-trad 1st timer: cgpa 3.45 sgpa 3.74 mcat 32 IL resident

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by W7o13kEkkO, 05.21.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. W7o13kEkkO

W7o13kEkkO 2+ Year Member

Hi all, thanks for any feedback in advance. I went to a great EE/CS program for undergrad, and went into a finance related field for about a year and decided to go into medicine. I've been doing a postbac program (postbac gpa 3.8, but cgpa is 3.45, and bcpm 3.75) and my MCAT is 32 (13 PS/10 V/9 BS). I don't plan on taking the MCAT again, I think there are different parts of my application that I could improve further.

I would like to apply to a broad spectrum of schools. I'd rather err on the side of applying to too many schools rather than not enough, or end up going to a school that I'm not the best fit with.

Asian
    IL resident
    undergraduate studies in EE/CS
    worked in finance-related field for ~1 year, decided to change career

EC:
    programming at start up company
    volunteer at Church as sunday school teacher (1yr+) + sound technician (1yr+) (8hr/week)
    volunteer at Church for medical missionary trip (5-6 months)
    volunteer at free clinic (in different countries)
    volunteer at research lab (no publication)
    some shadowing (with interesting stories)
    I feel there's more that I haven't squeezed out yet.

School List:
    in-state (7)
    University of Illinois College
    Rosalind Franklin
    Loyola - Stritch
    Northwestern University - Feinberg
    Rush
    UChicago - Pritzker
    Southern Illinois University

OOS private (23)
    UPittsburgh
    Emory
    Alpert - Brown
    Keck - USC
    George Washington
    New York Medical College
    Dartmouth
    Georgetown
    Tufts
    Medical College of Wisconsin
    University of Miami
    Tulane
    Drexel
    Temple
    Hofstra
    Netter
    Penn State
    Wake Forest
    Weill Cornell
    Mayo Clinic
    Baylor
    New York University
    Vanderbilt

OOS public (?)
    UCLA - drew
    UT san antonio - had lived in san antonio previously and feels close to home there (odd one I agree)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. khrisskhoras

khrisskhoras 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    limit yourself to 3 or 4 reach schools out of a list of 25 schools. Schools like Baylor, Vandy, Mayo, UPitt, USC, Emory, NYU, Cornell, Dartmouth, UChi, NW and Drew are your reaches and that's too many IMO. Brown may be a reach too based on the lack of spaces available to AMCAS applicants, but stats wise isn't too far off. UT San Antonio is heavily IS biased (~90% in-state), but if your connections are strong then maybe they'll consider you. Keep UTSA.

I'd take off the reach schools I listed, or keep 2 or 3 of them if you really want to take a chance. Add one or two SUNY schools, Jefferson, Vermont, Creighton, VCU, EVMS, Albany UToledo and a public OOS with >25% OOS matriculants for which your are at or above their mcat average.

Consider Loma Linda too if you are a seventh-day adventist.

W7o13kEkkO likes this.
  4. W7o13kEkkO

Thanks for the input. How's your list coming along?

5. W7o13kEkkO

removed SIU, Baylor, Vandy, Mayo, NYU, Cornell, drew

kept UPitt, USC (msar within lower range), emory, dartmouth (MSAR within lower range), in-state (uchi, NW)

added: jefferson, creighton, vcu, suny syracuse, suny brooklyn, albany, vermont, evms, toledo - although I think I'll have to look at these schools and decide which ones I like the most.

6. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    You might consider adding Wayne, which highly weights 20+ hours of postbac work in their decision-making.

W7o13kEkkO likes this.
  7. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Your ECs seem week, and the religious volunteering won't count for much. Overseas missions aren't regarded highly as well, unloess you can document a lot of medcial care, and get a LOR form your preceptors.

Your numbers are at the floor for these schools, and they'll appreciate the donation in the form of your app fees. For U Chicago, on of the top med schools int he country, your numbers are below the 10th %ile.

Goro suggest:

University of Illinois College
    Rosalind Franklin
    Loyola - Stritch
    Rush
    jefferson,
    creighton,
    vcu,
    albany,
    evms
    New York Medical College
    Tufts
    Medical College of Wisconsin
    University of Miami
    Tulane
    Drexel
    Temple
    Hofstra
    Netter
    Penn State
    Wake Forest
    All other new MD schools

ANY DO school (CCOM is in your back yard)

W7o13kEkkO likes this.
  8. W7o13kEkkO

Thanks for the input @Goro and @Catalystik .

removed UChicago, does Goro suggest that I apply to any "reach" schools? Could you specify all new md schools? (Central Michigan, western michigan, oakland university, VTech, Florida Atlantic, Rowan, etc?)

considering adding midwestern (DO)

9. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    And Marian (DO) is right next door in Indiana.

Do you have the substantive research and leadership that a top school like Northwestern will find appealing?

What is your experience with US patients? And do you have US physician shadowing?

W7o13kEkkO likes this.
  10. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    I'm not a fan of reach unless one's numbers are close tot he median scores for schools. You're within striking distance for Dartmouth or Emory.

Google "New MD schools"

W7o13kEkkO likes this.
  11. W7o13kEkkO

my postbac program is through northwestern - I volunteered at a lab with data entry/data QA/analysis for 10-15hr/week for about 6 months (LOR through PI)

Leadership - I ran a couple student organization (5-10hr/week) while I was in my undergrad and was a TA (lab + homework and test grading) for 4 years (10-20hr/week) (LOR through dean of engineering program)

Physician shadowing program was done through northwestern physician shadowing program - I have a couple fun stories from that, and one of the physician will write LOR through the program.

12. W7o13kEkkO

I must say that kind of defeats the purpose of "Reach" if you're already within the median range - but I'm sure you have your reasons. Yes, I am very close to the 10% for my MCAT and GPA. I thought that my recent GPA would account for more than my undergrad GPA.

Also... for your pleasure....

http://bit.ly/1lPBo4G

13. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    There's a difference between "close to median scores" and "within 10th-90th %ile." I think in this game, it's important to be realistic.

I must say that kind of defeats the purpose of "Reach" if you're already within the median range - but I'm sure you have your reasons. Yes, I am very close to the 10% for my MCAT and GPA. I thought that my recent GPA would account for more than my undergrad GPA.

gyngyn and W7o13kEkkO like this.
  14. W7o13kEkkO

I agree. I do appreciate the wake-up call.

Goro likes this.

About the ads