MD Non-Trad, cGPA: 3.58, sGPA: 3.76, MCAT: 38, Weak ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odyssey2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bolster the ECs to a level you're comfortable with before applying.

Yeah, it's two and a half months before I apply, so I don't know what else I can do that would really bolster my chances. Let me be clear, I'll be happy to get into any one school. Do you really think I don't have a decent shot anywhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say that, but I would say that the application process is getting more difficult.

First cycle = best cycle. Go in with no regrets. If you think this is the best you can do EC-wise, go for it.

Thank you. Any particular schools you would recommend?

What is your MCAT section breakdown? What is your state of legal residence?

12 PS, 13 VR, 13 BS. Illinois resident

I think your profile is kind of tough for me to assess, tbh. I don't know the extent to which T-20 or upper-mids will cut you slack for your first school's GPA given that it's a T-10 undergrad. Maybe they won't, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Don't know.

Overall, I think you have a good app. My comments above reflected your self-assessment of your ECs as weak. Would suggest you find non-trad friendly schools and focus on 'fit'.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah, I know I'm in an odd position.

Thanks. Yeah, I know I'm in an odd position.

It seems like you and I have fairly similar applications. I also decided later in undergrad to go into medicine, and while I may have a bit more research/clinical work, you seem to have a bit more volunteering. It's kind of 6 of one half-dozen of the other (you also have a second degree). I probably also went pretty top-heavy with my list, but as long as your "fit" schools are schools you would happily attend, there's no problem (assuming $$ isn't a factor) with reaching.
If you're curious about my list, it's in my MDApps. Good luck!

Maybe squeeze in some shadowing before the application opens up? I've had friends that were rejected/waitlisted because they were lacking in shadowing and the admissions committee wasn't totally convinced they knew what they were getting themselves into. It's a quick way to bolster your app and it can only make it stronger!

But isn't being a scribe like shadowing on steroids?

And thank you, ahstern, I checked out your profile and added a few schools to my list.

If you play your cards right, I think you could get into a top-20 school, maybe even a top 10. You say you were a humanities major? You have some experience in tutoring for writing and literacy. Do/did you have any literary interests, hobbies, achievements, goals? Plenty of physicians are also writers of fiction and non-fiction. Often they write about their experiences as scientists and clinicians. Some schools---esp. in top 20---have curricula to help physician writers meet their career goals, or they are located next to a great undergrad/grad campus, like Yale and UChicago. Anyway, this is just an example of how you can make yourself stand out a little as a non-traditional.

Because you're a non-trad, you will SINK or SWIM based on how you handle your essays. I mean, you'll perform much better or a little worse than the guy straight out of college, depending on the narrative you make for your candidacy. Do you spin yourself as the directionless quarter-life-crisis guy, or the eclectic, mature guy who has a focused and nuanced interest in medicine? It's up to you. I have plenty of non-trad pre-med friends. One has so-so stats and got into a top-5 school, the other had a 99.99 percentile MCAT and did not get into a single top-20 school. The former had a great story about his LGBT activism, and the latter really had no story besides a vague "I want to help people" narrative.

Because your application has such a wide spectrum of potential, I suggest applying broadly to 25-35 schools of all ranges. The more liberal/pro-humanities colleges are higher yield. (E.g., WashU low-yield, Yale and Columbia very high yield) For the lower tier schools, you should write in your essays why you would attend even though your stats are above them by a large margin. Otherwise they may just reject you because they think you are just making them a safety.

Last edited:
I think your list looks good, but you have a lot of schools. I agree with pyrrion89; if you can put a compelling story together you may be quite successful with your reaches. With your humanities background, are you interested in medical ethics, anthropology, history? If so, look at schools that like to talk about their medical humanities programs because you may have a great argument for fit. You will be playing up your strengths while showing schools why you're specifically interested in them (although if I'm interpreting correctly, the 3.21 GPA was from the humanities major..?).

Also, about your summer jobs that wouldn't impress anyone- is this because of the nature of the work? I've heard that some adcoms appreciate customer service, retail etc because you may deal with angry people/stressful situations. Not that they're going to interview you based on that, but it won't hurt and might potentially help (unless you don't have room with other activities, but it doesn't look like it). Just a minor note.

Here's my final (ish) list of schools before I apply, I'd really appreciate suggestions for any you think I should strike off or add:

Med. College of Wisc.
St. Louis
Oakland
Tulane
Tufts
Albert Einstein
Albany
UIC
Rush
Loyola
Drexel
Georgetown