Non-Trad Here: cGPA 3.62, sGPA 3.57. Pending MCAT (Reapplying)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CUAnes12

CA-1
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been a lurker for a while, figured I could use a little advice on my school list. Listing as non-trad since I'll have been out of school for 2 years (pending matriculation of course).

cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.57
Taking the MCAT June 20th. Last taken 8/2012 and got a 25 (7 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS). Shooting for a 30+ this time around.
Residency: Maryland

EC's
* Chief ED Scribe (manager level pretty much) from 6/2012-present at 40-50 hrs/week. I guess this represents a conglomerate of clinical experience/shadowing/employment. (Over 1700 hours definitely at this point)
* Participant in 3 different performing arts ensembles while in college from 2008-2012. Marching band ~1400+ total hours. Basketball band ~300 total hours. Symphonic band ~400+ total hours.
* ALD and NSCS member 2008-2012.
* Dean's List x 6 (>3.5GPA), President's List x 2 (4.0GPA, one was a summer session).
* Beginning my volunteer EMT training with my local MICU in the coming days.
* Housing supervisor on campus during summer of 2011.
* Lifeguard with CPR/AED certification.

MD Schools
George Washington
Georgetown
Indiana
Marshall
MUSC
Michigan State
Northwestern - reach
Temple
Ohio State
Maryland
Pittsburgh
University of South Carolina, Greenville
UVA
VCU

DO Schools
Campbell
VCOM-Spartanburg
Pikeville
Michigan State

Looking to see if there are any schools I should drop or add. Definitely trying to look into more DO programs just in case.

I know my MCAT and applying late killed me on my last application, not making those mistakes again. Since UMD is the only state school I have (other than USU), I figure neighboring states would be more open?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump.

Posted this a couple days ago, would appreciate any advice on schools to possibly add/delete and on ECs. If anyone would be willing to offer some words of wisdom I'd be so grateful!

as far as MD, it hard to say without your new MCAT. good to see that you have DO schools for backup. you'll probably have a good shot at those.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would cross Indiana and Northwestern off your list. I know Northwestern is a reach but I think your time would be better spent finding other schools with stats in your range and putting more effort into those secondaries. I would also highly recommend applying to more than 14 MD schools if you are serious about becoming an MD. I have a 3.8/30 and am probably going to apply to close to 30 MD schools to increase my chances of an acceptance.

I would cross Indiana and Northwestern off your list. I know Northwestern is a reach but I think your time would be better spent finding other schools with stats in your range and putting more effort into those secondaries. I would also highly recommend applying to more than 14 MD schools if you are serious about becoming an MD. I have a 3.8/30 and am probably going to apply to close to 30 MD schools to increase my chances of an acceptance.
One of the nurses that I work with suggested Indiana saying that it was OOS friendly and that they had lower average stats. I guess that's not the case? The research I did kinda confirmed it but I'll have to double check now. As for Northwestern, two of the doctors I work with are alums and they told me I could do it if I study my butt off for the MCAT this time around (since they are providing some of my LORs.)

Thanks for the help! I'm still tweaking everything so anything is a benefit! I'm looking to add more schools but the expenses are adding up. Good thing for tax returns!

Last edited:
One of the nurses that I work with suggested Indiana saying that it was OOS friendly and that they had lower average stats. I guess that's not the case? The research I did kinda confirmed it but I'll have to double check now. As for Northwestern, two of the doctors I work with are alums and they told me I could do it if I study my butt off for the MCAT this time around (since they are providing some of my LORs.)

Thanks for the help! I'm still tweaking everything so anything is a benefit! I'm looking to add more schools but the expenses are adding up. Good thing for tax returns!

The way I think about it is according to the MSAR Indiana only accepts 65 OOS students out of a total class of 335 meaning that their class is made up of 19% OOS people. Whenever I pick an OOS school I try to look for a class profile of at least 30%, however I am sure people have different opinions on this. Indiana does state they they consider OOS applicants but they also say that "Applications of nonresidents who have significant ties to the state of Indiana may be given greater consideration." it is impossible to determine how much of an OOS preference they will give to people with "significant ties." I personally wouldn't apply here but this is an example of one of those borderline schools where it may be ok.

I'm also from Maryland, and n=1, but my experience with this application cycle was definitely location biased. So based on my experience and your stats, I would suggest adding Penn State, Jefferson, Drexel, PCOM (D.O.), and perhaps Commonwealth. I would suggest removing Georgetown (but that's up to you. Long, ridiculously expensive secondary that probably won't be worth it). It was also unnerving how unfriendly Maryland was to in-staters, but you have to apply there - just a heads up to not expect to rely on it as a "safety".

Again, n=1. Good luck! :luck:

I'm also from Maryland, and n=1, but my experience with this application cycle was definitely location biased. So based on my experience and your stats, I would suggest adding Penn State, Jefferson, Drexel, PCOM (D.O.), and perhaps Commonwealth. I would suggest removing Georgetown (but that's up to you. Long, ridiculously expensive secondary that probably won't be worth it). It was also unnerving how unfriendly Maryland was to in-staters, but you have to apply there - just a heads up to not expect to rely on it as a "safety".

Again, n=1. Good luck! :luck:
Oh yeah, I didn't get an interview at Maryland when I applied last cycle. It was pretty disheartening, but I'm definitely shooting for a better result this time! And for being the only state school, we have a really great home program! Best of luck to you as well.

Wanted to update, thanks to all who have given their advice!

Dropped a few schoools that appeared too selective, especially for OOS. Looked up a few that were more OOS friendly. Of course, this is all pending the MCAT but I am most certain that I am going to get above a 32. Last time I took it, I barely studied at all and got that 25 but now that I have completed all content review I am much more confident.

NEW List Time!

MD
Drexel
GW
Georgetown
Indiana (?)
Marshall
MUSC (?)
Northwestern (still the reach)
Penn State
Temple
Ohio State
Maryland
USC
USC - Greenville
USF
VCU
Wake Forest
Considering to add: Miami, Cincinatti, Colorado
The question marks are undecided with leaning towards dropping and replacing with ones I'm considering to add.

DO
VCOM-Carolina
Campbell
Pikeville
LECOM-Bradenton
Nova Southeast

Definitely feel better chances with these choices, but feel free to critique! (Again, haha)

Last edited:
I figured I would update this since I got the score from my MCAT retake. Unfortunately, I did not get the score I wanted, but I was able to raise it by 4 points to a 29 (10/10/9). Felt okay in the fact that I improved my weakest sections in PS and VR though! Definitely going to have to make changes to my MD school list even though I have already begun to submit secondaries.

MD
Drexel
GW (just added yesterday)
Indiana
Marshall
MUSC (Probable rejection)
Northwestern (Most certainly a rejection)
Penn State
Temple
Ohio State
Maryland
USC (South Carolina)
USC - Greenville
USF
VCU
Wake Forest
Cincinnati

DO
VCOM-Carolina
Campbell
Pikeville
LECOM-Bradenton
Nova Southeast

If anyone has a suggestion for other MD programs who might fit these stats, feel free to respond. I know I'm solid for DO so those will not change.