Non-trad HS Honors VMCAS Question

Started by bclover
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bclover

UIUC-CVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, folks, my age is showing: I have been out of high school in excess of two decades and, as I am working on my VMCAS application, I am a bit limited in what I remember regarding the honors I earned/received back then. I remember the 'biggies' - like valedictorian, class president, etc. - but not much else. And, I can't seem to put my hands on old annuals to help right now either. So, does anyone have any idea how critical this is - in particular the volume of things included - for those of us "much" further down the road?

Thanks!
 
I would say that since you've been out of school for a while, HS stuff would be less crucial for you... assuming you've made use of all of the time you've been out of school.
 
I had the same dilemma - seemed fantastically lame to actually make individual entries for every honor and award I got in high school - and I "only" graduated 13 years ago. What I did instead was make a single entry called "high school honors and awards" and made basically a bulleted list of the big things I remembered. I figured a high school award I didn't remember winning could not possibly make the difference between acceptance to and rejection from vet school.

(That said, I had a fairly long list of stuff from college and afterward. If you happen to be the slacked-in-college, scrambling-to-repair-GPA sort of nontrad, and you're counting on hearkening back to your nerdy high school days to demonstrate that you can actually study, then you might want to make a bigger deal of awards and honors from "way back when.")
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good idea, kate_g, re:bulleting honors from HS! And, yes, I do have a significant amount of accomplishments from college and my career to really focus on, so I believe I will follow your lead - thanks!
 
Welcome here BClover. I've got two of the little 4 legged kids myself- they are a handful!
 
Welcome here BClover. I've got two of the little 4 legged kids myself- they are a handful!

Thanks! And, yes, they can be a handful, but a better dog you won't find! (IMHO) My husband and I have two at the moment as well - along with two other four-legged kids (actually we have a total of 28 others: two more dogs + sheep, cats, & llama). My 'big guy' (BC) is thirteen and began having seizures this winter - albeit infrequent - so he gets a little extra special consideration around here these days. [While other folks buy bones and the like for their dogs, we went and bought 20 acres, fencing, a barn and some sheep for ours to 'play' with. 🙂]
 
I graduated HS 9 years ago and my dad managed to find on his OLD desktop a list I made for applying to undergrad of my HS awards. I used this and put most of them in. Do you have any old resumes? I found that first and it had the biggies in every subject area. Also, I like the idea of just entering the few you remember. That should be fine, especially if you have had achievements since. (Scholarships, grants, publications, etc)
 
Honestly, I don't think it matters since it was two decades ago. I had the same problem, in that I graduated in 1983. I think I ended up putting down a couple of things for HS and then moved on to the rest of the application.