Non-Traditional Friendly Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1010363

Hi All,

I saw this thread posted back in 2005 and 2008 but I haven’t seen one updated since.

Do any of you know what medical schools are more non traditional friendly than others? I’m 34 years old now and will be looking/hoping to matriculate around 37-38 years old. I’m non military.

Just an idea for some of us who are “old farts” ;)

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

DO schools in general are more friendly to non-trads, but you shouldn’t be at a disadvantage if you have a compelling story and good stats. The two DO schools that I interviewed at were mostly non-trads (RVU and DMU), and the one MD school was very traditional. Last year’s class at the MD school only had 16 students out of ~170 that were older than 26. I think that is common for most MD schools (but I don’t know that for sure).

Reactions: 2 users
Tulane is very nontrad friendly

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think most schools are getting more and more nontraditional friendly. If you look at the matriculant age data on MSAR, most schools matriculate at least a handful of 30-39 year olds every cycle. Dartmouth has a reputation for being nontraditional friendly, and they matriculated six students in their 30s for the last cycle data was available. I randomly checked University of Miami, and they matriculated three 30somethings.

I've had a little love so far this cycle (hallelujah) and I'm 34 :) Keep your grades up and get a good MCAT score and your age shouldn't be a factor anywhere.

Reactions: 1 users
DO schools in general are more friendly to non-trads, but you shouldn’t be at a disadvantage if you have a compelling story and good stats. The two DO schools that I interviewed at were mostly non-trads (RVU and DMU), and the one MD school was very traditional. Last year’s class at the MD school only had 16 students out of ~170 that were older than 26. I think that is common for most MD schools (but I don’t know that for sure).
What MD school was it, if you don't mind me asking? If you don't want to say, that's okay as well.

I think most schools are getting more and more nontraditional friendly. If you look at the matriculant age data on MSAR, most schools matriculate at least a handful of 30-39 year olds every cycle. Dartmouth has a reputation for being nontraditional friendly, and they matriculated six students in their 30s for the last cycle data was available. I randomly checked University of Miami, and they matriculated three 30somethings.

I've had a little love so far this cycle (hallelujah) and I'm 34 :) Keep your grades up and get a good MCAT score and your age shouldn't be a factor anywhere.
That's awesome! Yeah I looked at Tulane as well and they took in around 12 med students that were in the 30-39 age range. Congrats on all the love!

Reactions: 1 user