Non-Traditional Friendly Medical Schools

Started by deleted1010363
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1010363

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I saw this thread posted back in 2005 and 2008 but I haven’t seen one updated since.

Do any of you know what medical schools are more non traditional friendly than others? I’m 34 years old now and will be looking/hoping to matriculate around 37-38 years old. I’m non military.

Just an idea for some of us who are “old farts” 😉

Thanks in advance.
 
DO schools in general are more friendly to non-trads, but you shouldn’t be at a disadvantage if you have a compelling story and good stats. The two DO schools that I interviewed at were mostly non-trads (RVU and DMU), and the one MD school was very traditional. Last year’s class at the MD school only had 16 students out of ~170 that were older than 26. I think that is common for most MD schools (but I don’t know that for sure).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think most schools are getting more and more nontraditional friendly. If you look at the matriculant age data on MSAR, most schools matriculate at least a handful of 30-39 year olds every cycle. Dartmouth has a reputation for being nontraditional friendly, and they matriculated six students in their 30s for the last cycle data was available. I randomly checked University of Miami, and they matriculated three 30somethings.

I've had a little love so far this cycle (hallelujah) and I'm 34 🙂 Keep your grades up and get a good MCAT score and your age shouldn't be a factor anywhere.
 
DO schools in general are more friendly to non-trads, but you shouldn’t be at a disadvantage if you have a compelling story and good stats. The two DO schools that I interviewed at were mostly non-trads (RVU and DMU), and the one MD school was very traditional. Last year’s class at the MD school only had 16 students out of ~170 that were older than 26. I think that is common for most MD schools (but I don’t know that for sure).
What MD school was it, if you don't mind me asking? If you don't want to say, that's okay as well.
 
I think most schools are getting more and more nontraditional friendly. If you look at the matriculant age data on MSAR, most schools matriculate at least a handful of 30-39 year olds every cycle. Dartmouth has a reputation for being nontraditional friendly, and they matriculated six students in their 30s for the last cycle data was available. I randomly checked University of Miami, and they matriculated three 30somethings.

I've had a little love so far this cycle (hallelujah) and I'm 34 🙂 Keep your grades up and get a good MCAT score and your age shouldn't be a factor anywhere.
That's awesome! Yeah I looked at Tulane as well and they took in around 12 med students that were in the 30-39 age range. Congrats on all the love!