Non traditional NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMS54

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody

I was hoping to get some help on what my chances are based on my current stats. MCAT is 509, GPA 3.72... I finished my undergrad in 2011 and DPT in 2013, grad GPA 3.69... multiple leadership roles in undergrad and PT school, community service, 4 years of practice as an orthopedic manual PT ( per diem also with in patient adult neuro) with continuing education.

Have not shadowed yet. I also have not taken organic chem 2 or biochem. I am counting on med schools with competency based admissions processes (Cooper, Hofstra, UCLA, UCSD, George Washington, Jefferson, Penn “dream school”, USC, Wake Forrest, Rush). I was assured by these schools that a strong MCAT would be adequate to fulfill these competencies.

Do you think my MCAT too low? Any other ideas to strengthen my app? Any other schools that have competency based admissions? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question. I live in New Jersey. I am not URM

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best chances are your 3 NJ state MD schools. You could also receive interviews at these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Tulane
Creighton
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Seton Hall, NOVA MD, Roseman, Kaiser)
50 hours of shadowing would help your application.

I have never heard of "competency-based" admissions before, but regardless, a 509 is <10%tile for most of schools you listed. You need a strong MCAT (514+ ideally) to have a decent chance at those schools. Your best chances are the 3 MD schools in NJ.

Your best chances are your 3 NJ state MD schools. You could also receive interviews at these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Tulane
Creighton
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Seton Hall, NOVA MD, Roseman, Kaiser)
50 hours of shadowing would help your application.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write me back. I will definitely take a look at these listed schools and the new ones that you listed may be open for 2019!

I have never heard of "competency-based" admissions before, but regardless, a 509 is <10%tile for most of schools you listed. You need a strong MCAT (514+ ideally) to have a decent chance at those schools. Your best chances are the 3 MD schools in NJ.

Thank you for the response. I appreciate the feedback. i will be taking the MCAT again in March, hopefully to improve my score!

didn't you just post yesterday saying you didn't have an MCAT yet? you shouldn't assume your future score. Your application with a 505 looks a whole lot different than a 509 or 515.

Either way, regardless of your score, the NJ schools will be your best bet

thats great feedback, thank you