Non-Traditional Student...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhhDeer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Some background information: I have a BA in English (Graduated in '08 from Binghamton University,) and have since started training as a Pharmacy Technician (s/be CPhT by Feb. 2010.) Prior to working as a Tech-in-training, I had no interest in pharmacy work, but have since found this to be my niche.
I am interested in possibly applying as a transfer into a PharmD program. I have taken some, but not all of the Pre-Reqs. to transfer.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a few questions that I have, or perhaps someone is in a similar situation? I will also list the courses that I have completed following my questions.

1. How recent should courses have been taken? Is there a general rule? I spoke w/ a counselor @ the community college where I will be taking the remaining science courses that I need, and she said that 5 years is typical.
Example: I took General Biology 1 the Spring Semester of my Freshman Year (Sp. '05.)

2. I am interested in MCPHS and Albany College of Pharm, thus far, and it appears that you can transfer into the Pharmacy program during the 1st, 2nd or 3rd year (for MCPHS.) Would it be more beneficial to transfer earlier (2nd year) rather than later (3rd year?)

3. Since I already have a BA in English, I would not be taking courses @ a 2-year or 4-year college toward a BS prior to application. I plan only to take the courses listed a pre-req. Will this be an issue?

Gen. Pre-Reqs for PharmD Programs
Gen Bio I w/ lab - Taken Sp. 2005
Gen Bio II w/ lab - Taken Sp. Sp. 2006
Microbiology w/ lab - Enrolled for Sp. 2010 @ local community college
Gen. Chem II w/ lab - Taken Sum. 2006 - BUT WILL BE RETAKEN to increase quality points on Transcript
Orgo I w/ lab - Not Taken
Orgo II w/ lab - Not Taken
English Comp I - Taken Senior Yr. HS 2004
English Elective - Taken 2007
Intro to Psych - Taken 2005
Into to Sociology - Not Taken
Into to History - Taken 2006
Calculus - Taken 2005
Stats - Not Taken
Physics (w/ lab) - Taken 2006
MicroEconomics - Taken 2005
Comp. Science Elective - Taken 2005
Humanities Elective - Taken 2008
Social Science Elective - Taken 2006
Behavior Science Elective - Taken 2005

Thank you, and sorry for the length!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not familiar with the schools listed in question 2, so I'll defer that to someone who is.

1. Check the sites for all the schools you're applying to, as they may have specific requirements for the age of coursework. For example, one school may say coursework older than 5 years needs to be retaken for another it's 7 years. I know of one school that more or less waives a significant portion of the pre-reqs if you've completed a bachelors. So the rules vary by school.

3. That's basically what a lot of us are doing. Some (many) students don't even have a bachelors and they're only taking the pre-reqs. And getting accepted.

Hope that helps. There are threads on the specific schools you mentioned, so it would be worth searching the forums to see if anyone has posted some insight that might help as well.

Hi! Some background information: I have a BA in English (Graduated in '08 from Binghamton University,) and have since started training as a Pharmacy Technician (s/be CPhT by Feb. 2010.) Prior to working as a Tech-in-training, I had no interest in pharmacy work, but have since found this to be my niche.
I am interested in possibly applying as a transfer into a PharmD program. I have taken some, but not all of the Pre-Reqs. to transfer.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a few questions that I have, or perhaps someone is in a similar situation? I will also list the courses that I have completed following my questions.

1. How recent should courses have been taken? Is there a general rule? I spoke w/ a counselor @ the community college where I will be taking the remaining science courses that I need, and she said that 5 years is typical.
Example: I took General Biology 1 the Spring Semester of my Freshman Year (Sp. '05.)

2. I am interested in MCPHS and Albany College of Pharm, thus far, and it appears that you can transfer into the Pharmacy program during the 1st, 2nd or 3rd year (for MCPHS.) Would it be more beneficial to transfer earlier (2nd year) rather than later (3rd year?)

3. Since I already have a BA in English, I would not be taking courses @ a 2-year or 4-year college toward a BS prior to application. I plan only to take the courses listed a pre-req. Will this be an issue?

Gen. Pre-Reqs for PharmD Programs
Gen Bio I w/ lab - Taken Sp. 2005
Gen Bio II w/ lab - Taken Sp. Sp. 2006
Microbiology w/ lab - Enrolled for Sp. 2010 @ local community college
Gen. Chem II w/ lab - Taken Sum. 2006 - BUT WILL BE RETAKEN to increase quality points on Transcript
Orgo I w/ lab - Not Taken
Orgo II w/ lab - Not Taken
English Comp I - Taken Senior Yr. HS 2004
English Elective - Taken 2007
Intro to Psych - Taken 2005
Into to Sociology - Not Taken
Into to History - Taken 2006
Calculus - Taken 2005
Stats - Not Taken
Physics (w/ lab) - Taken 2006
MicroEconomics - Taken 2005
Comp. Science Elective - Taken 2005
Humanities Elective - Taken 2008
Social Science Elective - Taken 2006
Behavior Science Elective - Taken 2005

Thank you, and sorry for the length!

Transfer students are only students transferring from another college of pharmacy. Someone who hasn't already been a P1 or a P2 (for instance) can't transfer into a pharmacy school. Everyone starts at the beginning as a P1.

Each school has different requirements for how long they accept your coursework. Do a search on this site, as there are plenty of threads already about this.

Most people only take the coursework they need, unless they are trying to show that they can do well with a full-course load (if they haven't had full loads previously).

Transfer students are only students transferring from another college of pharmacy. Someone who hasn't already been a P1 or a P2 (for instance) can't transfer into a pharmacy school. Everyone starts at the beginning as a P1.

Each school has different requirements for how long they accept your coursework. Do a search on this site, as there are plenty of threads already about this.

Most people only take the coursework they need, unless they are trying to show that they can do well with a full-course load (if they haven't had full loads previously).

Some schools allow you to 'waive' courses if you've taken them before, however.