Non-Traditional Vet School Applicants c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would on the topic of bias like to forward this article AAVMC report points to bias in admissions process as it touches on things that are being brought up but still need changing. This isn’t even getting into once You get in and the changes happening for students to address health and mental health ( actually not just pizza and a talk)
Wow! Thank you for sharing that. I had always (apparently wrongly) assumed that the questions regarding pell grants and family income had to do with NOT selecting *against* people from economically disadvantaged backgrounds. I thought it was to ensure inclusion, seems not so. That is highly disappointing, and I hope all schools are taking that into serious consideration. Seeing as many, if not all, vets will work with people experiencing financial difficulties, this seems like a no-brainer imo.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Ageism is a thing across many (if not all) professions, I would not claim that veterinary medicine is an exception. Older applicants do get accepted to some schools, but we can't deny that the vast majority of applicants are younger and that many older applicants are highly qualified. I think a serious (and not necessarily unfounded) reason for not picking an older applicant would be this: How long is this new veterinarian going to serve the industry? Would a younger vet better serve the industry given their longer amount of working life left?

Don't get me wrong, I do not think that is enough justification. No one can know what someone's future has in store for them, to assume is being ageist. Someone at 50 may work 20+ more years, someone at 25 may retire early before 50 to prioritize family (just an example). I will say that @zoogrl29 , I think your emotions at play here do not come across well. I deeply feel for you, you sound like a brilliant, passionate individual with a lot of potential in veterinary medicine. Given that, your emotional take on the situation is not flattering. In a less competitive field, I would say go all in, tell the world what needs to be heard, but if you still intend on applying, taking a more objective and less emotional stance will bode better.
This was most likely my last application cycle. My emotions are not in need of being any less than they are. They are mine alone and again putting me down for any amount of emotional honesty is just toxic. I don’t need to “bode” well considering I’m not being paid any mind to begin with by a number of schools. I mean what is the point? Also, don’t condescend me, I don’t “have potential” in veterinary medicine. I have BEEN successful in veterinary, zoo and research for 32 years of my life.

This was most likely my last application cycle. My emotions are not in need of being any less than they are. They are mine alone and again putting me down for any amount of emotional honesty is just toxic. I don’t need to “bode” well considering I’m not being paid any mind to begin with by a number of schools. I mean what is the point? Also, don’t condescend me, I don’t “have potential” in veterinary medicine. I have BEEN successful in veterinary, zoo and research for 32 years of my life.
I was not saying your emotions need to be less, everyone is fully entitled to their emotions, and I would never tell someone otherwise. How we display those emotions and in what settings is all I was addressing. By potential I meant as a veterinarian, if you took that as condescending then my apologies, that's the exact opposite of my intent, rather I was sympathizing with you as a clearly qualified applicant that has been the victim of agism.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was not saying your emotions need to be less, everyone is fully entitled to their emotions, and I would never tell someone otherwise. How we display those emotions and in what settings is all I was addressing. By potential I meant as a veterinarian, if you took that as condescending then my apologies, that's the exact opposite of my intent, rather I was sympathizing with you as a clearly qualified applicant that has been the victim of agism.
Thank you for clarifying. I think me being “emotional” is a mistake in the flatness of text. It’s just apathy that’s coming across at this point. “Bitterness” is just another term for not really caring any longer about how your thoughts are being perceived. I’m being open and honest so the next person in my shoes knows they are NOT alone. All of us are worthy of a chance based on our merits that have nothing to do with our race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion or monetary value (because apparently I’ve thought it was an advantage being a grant recipient!). That is all…the system sucks and I’m going to shout it from the rooftops before I delete SDN from my life forever. <sigh>

• Care
Also, to be clear, we applied at the same school at the same time. Do I have more animal hours than you? Do you have an MS, publications, countless poster presentations and a 3.8 GPA. Are you a better applicant? How and why? I wasn’t even waitlisted. Do you have classmates with less stats?
I’m not gaslighting you, I haven’t attacked you personally or criticized your hard work or experiences. I’m just saying that it’s probably not the wisest idea to say not-so-nice things about a school when you’re trying to get into their program (IIRC this is the second school you’ve had opinions about on this forum). It’s not flattering.

How do you even compare 2 applicants? I’m sure you are a better applicant in some ways and I was a better applicant in other ways, who knows. And I was also rejected by UF. We all know admissions is a lot about academics (obviously) and the experiences that show we understand and will thrive in the profession. But I think it’s also a lot about how an individual presents that information. In general I’m an optimist, tend to my spin life’s mishaps into funny stories, am generally agreeable, and would give any of my classmates the shirt off my back even if it meant I’d go cold. And I think a lot of that bled into my essays and the life experiences I chose to share with adcoms both on paper and in interviews.
Thank you for clarifying. I think me being “emotional” is a mistake in the flatness of text. It’s just apathy that’s coming across at this point. “Bitterness” is just another term for not really caring any longer about how your thoughts are being perceived. I’m being open and honest so the next person in my shoes knows they are NOT alone. All of us are worthy of a chance based on our merits that have nothing to do with our race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion or monetary value (because apparently I’ve thought it was an advantage being a grant recipient!). That is all…the system sucks and I’m going to shout it from the rooftops before I delete SDN from my life forever. <sigh>
Did you do file reviews? If you were outright told that you were rejected due to your age then you should report it (to the Office of Civil Rights or the AVMA maybe?). If it came from a specific person then report it to the head of admissions. That’s how you make change happen IMO.
But I think @Nannarnaluk conveyed it best, your emotions aren’t coming across well. What you’re doing currently is only hurting you. I hope you don’t delete SDN so we can celebrate your success some day, just realize that the people in these forums are your future colleagues so it’s best to hold your tongue sometimes :)

Reactions: 3 users
30 year old non trad student here! Second cycle. Got waitlisted for Western last year and just received an interview for OSU ( I cried for an hour on my 1 year wedding anniversary yesterday lol). Good luck everyone 🥰

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
30 year old non trad student here! Second cycle. Got waitlisted for Western last year and just received an interview at OSU ( I cried for an hour on my 1 year wedding anniversary yesterday lol). Good luck everyone 🥰
Congrats!!

It’s my IS school and the stats are all online with ages of applicants and interview ages and acceptances. It’s never over 45. If we don’t talk about this in public it will never change. Call them out and don’t stay silent because silence is not an option. I’ve applied all over the country and had file reviews all over. They all say mostly the same thing and to just try again. No one has any specific advice for me, so when you say things like you have, you’re dismissing my experiences. The very school you are at said I had full points on all my essays and a good gpa and I wasn’t even given the normal “waitlisted” label there (I mean do they waitlist like 500 people?!). Like I said before I have 4 publications and a cover of Cell with brain surgeries on mice…plus I presented my heartworm research at the triennial symposium. I was lead tech at Banfield for over 10 years before I worked in research and worked at the zoo in the bird department and rehabbed manatees. Have you tube fed a manatee? Bet that’s not common in an app. I also worked with a researcher doing surfactant extractions on horses after treating them with an EFA supplement and presented that research so I’m not even lacking in large animal med. I’m not an idiot and no one even LOOKED at my video (or my app I bet). My experiences are real and you’re just gaslighting me. It’s not acceptable.
I'm sorry the application process has been so frustrating for you. I don't know about other schools, but there are at least 2 of my classmates who are over 40 years of age and one of them over 45. Maybe consider Davis next round, if things don't go well this time?

Reactions: 2 users