Non-Traditional Vet School Applicants c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck with your application! Your experiences must be so unique! I am also an MD but international. I was considering pediatrics after med school but ended up going for a Ph.D., postdoc, and now I am junior faculty. Throughout my research, I realized I was carrying enormous guilt for using animals to benefit humans, so now I want to become a vet and do clinical vet research to help often overlooked animals, like mice, rats, rabbits, etc. Did you by any chance apply to UC Davis? I was told there was one more MD applying this cycle.
Yes. How funny. I am the other MD applying to UC Davis! Your area of interest is fascinating. I am sure that will catch their eye. Where are you from?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. How funny. I am the other MD applying to UC Davis! Your area of interest is fascinating. I am sure that will catch their eye. Where are you from?
That's awesome! It's so cool to meet you! Good luck with the MMIs, I'm sure you'll get an invite, and that you'll have the professional attitude they are looking for. Also, your interest in regenerative ranching is so unique. I honestly had to google the term to find what it was. I bet UC Davis is the best place for that.
I'm from Greece; I got my MD there. My Ph.D. was on neonatal encephalopathy, and since then I've been doing basic research on neonatal brain injury.
I applied this cycle and I am currently trying to fulfill some of their prerequisites... In Greece, the program is 6 years, and we got into advanced science courses like anatomy, physiology and histology from the 2nd year, so I don't have the 4 semesters of chemistry UC Davis requires x)

That's awesome! It's so cool to meet you! Good luck with the MMIs, I'm sure you'll get an invite, and that you'll have the professional attitude they are looking for. Also, your interest in regenerative ranching is so unique. I honestly had to google the term to find what it was. I bet UC Davis is the best place for that.
I'm from Greece; I got my MD there. My Ph.D. was on neonatal encephalopathy, and since then I've been doing basic research on neonatal brain injury.
I applied this cycle and I am currently trying to fulfill some of their prerequisites... In Greece, the program is 6 years, and we got into advanced science courses like anatomy, physiology and histology from the 2nd year, so I don't have the 4 semesters of chemistry UC Davis requires x)
Your research sounds interesting and I am sure, much needed! I have no doubt that Davis will offer you an interview. I still need to learn more about the MMIs and what to expect. Wonderful connecting with you! Who knows, maybe we will meet next year at Davis!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your research sounds interesting and I am sure, much needed! I have no doubt that Davis will offer you an interview. I still need to learn more about the MMIs and what to expect. Wonderful connecting with you! Who knows, maybe we will meet next year at Davis!
I hope so! This is what I'm using to practice for the MMIs by the way! Best of luck!

Last edited:
Just popping in to offer some encouragement! I am a non-traditional student and mother in my 30's at UC Davis. I had a prior career (and a master's) in a field that was totally unrelated to vet med. I had to go to a post-bacc program to get my pre-reqs while working as a vet assistant. I only applied to UC Davis (like some of you on this thread) because that was my in-state, and the only location that was compatible with my husband's career. Fortunately I was accepted to the class of 2021! I ended up moving to the class of 2022 last year because I was pregnant with my second child when the pandemic hit, and even though Davis has been very safety-oriented regarding COVID, I wasn't comfortable doing 4th year pregnant in the middle of a pandemic. The administration was fantastic about my needing accommodations, then taking a year of leave. They have also been wonderful about disability accommodations (I have a chronic illness and have needed time away to deal with that several times). Overall I absolutely love UC Davis and have had the best experience here. I can't believe I'm finally going to be a vet in May!

If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer! Good luck to you all!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys! Just got accepted to Ross!!! Hope to hear back from others soon. Only interview and acceptance so far but I know Ross works differently.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got rejected for OOS University of Missouri. 3.89 GPA and thousands of experience hours - they don't like that I have no community outreach or extracurriculars! Very competitive this cycle.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Just got rejected for OOS University of Missouri. 3.89 GPA and thousands of experience hours - they don't like that I have no community outreach or extracurriculars! Very competitive this cycle.

Wow! That's great they gave you feedback though if you end up reapplying there. Tough to have everything people are looking for!

You could be right, but when the age stops at a specific number, it’s suspicious. Also, I’m one of those “not so strong of applicants” with a 3.8 GPA in grad school (MS in Life Sci-Parasitology and a second in Forensic Serology/DNA ), 4 peer reviewed publications, and strong LORs (one of my pictures in a pub made it to the cover of Cell). I have hundreds of thousands of hours in vet med including SAM, zoo, and research (I’ve been in the field from age 19). I can’t think of much more to do except get a PhD and I will definitely be doing that next.
How are you "not so strong" of an applicant with a 3.8 GPA, two masters degrees, 4 peer-reviewed publications, strong LoRs and thousands of hours experience???

You could be right, but when the age stops at a specific number, it’s suspicious. Also, I’m one of those “not so strong of applicants” with a 3.8 GPA in grad school (MS in Life Sci-Parasitology and a second in Forensic Serology/DNA ), 4 peer reviewed publications, and strong LORs (one of my pictures in a pub made it to the cover of Cell). I have hundreds of thousands of hours in vet med including SAM, zoo, and research (I’ve been in the field from age 19). I can’t think of much more to do except get a PhD and I will definitely be doing that next.
How on earth do you figure you're "not so strong" of an applicant with all those parameters?!

How on earth do you figure you're "not so strong" of an applicant with all those parameters?!

I was replying to someone saying I possibly wasn’t. However, that being said, I’ve been in this game now for 6 years. This is my last try and anyone that tells you agism isn’t a thing for vet schools is lying or delusional.

Ohh...you meant that you were one of the ones who applied in previous years...
I am 39 and this is my first time applying. I was talking to one of the veterinary advisors UF and started to tell her my age; she cut me off mid-sentence and said, verbatim, "oh, we don't care about that..."
But, of course, I wasn't convinced and I am still riddled with anxiety!!

If they didn’t care about it then they would have had students over the age of 45 starting in the program (not counting people re-taking a year etc.) over the last 5 years (published stats on their own web site). No one has even viewed my dang video and guess what?! It probably isn’t TikTok worthy either. The video process is another way of alienating older students (not to mention poor students who can’t afford videographers etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)
If they didn’t care about it then they would have had students over the age of 45 starting in the program (not counting people re-taking a year etc.) over the last 5 years (published stats on their own web site). No one has even viewed my dang video and guess what?! It probably isn’t TikTok worthy either. The video process is another way of alienating older students (not to mention poor students who can’t afford videographers etc.).
My video has apparently been viewed five times...hmm...🤔

I did also notice the apparent age cap when I looked over the applicant statistics. And that's true....the video component was somewhat terrifying. I tried to keep it simple, per the instructions.... I'm sure there were many flamboyant submissions, but my friend who used to be on the UF adcom said that while they may stick in the memory longer, such videos will not increase likelihood of acceptance, especially if they deviate from the formula....
How do you know whether your video has been viewed? Just checking the number on the youtube link?

Yes, just look at your analytics to see views. I’m sure it’s a daunting process going through videos so who knows how they grouped them. Im trying to maintain a sliver of hope…

Yes, private!! Looking at the thumbnail of the video just now made me cringe, though!
😬😫

I wish we could check the dates viewed!!
This sounds like my personal nightmare! Glad I decided not to apply to UF this year 😂

Yes, private!! Looking at the thumbnail of the video just now made me cringe, though!

You just click on the analytics and it gives you dates. I thought I had one view and then I realized it was the day I made the video so it was just me.

• Haha
I also have this terrible fear the link is broken and I just have nothing for them to watch.
Haha! I must say I am becoming acquainted with so very many terrible new fears !!

Also, same! This process could mean narcissists and sociopaths have an advantage over us so that’s another problem.

• Wow
You just click on the analytics and it gives you dates. I thought I had one view and then I realized it was the day I made the video so it was just me.
Ahh!! It was viewed on the 24th of November and watched 99.2% of the way through...
Wait, no! It was viewed 100% to the end...99.2 was the average, surely including myself viewing it right after posting it...

Hi all! I'm a non-trad at 48yo and military retiree. This is my second (and likely last) year applying. So far no news is good news which is much better than last year's rejections. I had to apply smart because of fighting with an old low GPA, but I'm hoping I can get in this year.

Good luck to all!

Hi all! I'm a non-trad at 48yo and military retiree. This is my second (and likely last) year applying. So far no news is good news which is much better than last year's rejections. I had to apply smart because of fighting with an old low GPA, but I'm hoping I can get in this year.

Good luck to all!
Hey! What did you do to "apply smart"?

Hey! What did you do to "apply smart"?
I used the VMCAS GPA calculator along with building an Excel spreadsheet of my own. On my spreadsheet I figured things like last 45, science only hours, etc. You know, each school's particular things.

Then I went through every school's website looking for their minimum GPAs. If they weren't there, I emailed and asked for them.

After comparing all the numbers, I chose school's which I felt my academics would fit. I also didn't want to take the GRE, so excluded this schools which required it.

That's pretty much it. 🙂

Good luck to all!
I’m prior military too! 33 yo, I did 9 years… what did you do while you were in? I also have a not so great old GPA and I’m very nervous about my application this year. Where did you apply to?

I’m prior military too! 33 yo, I did 9 years… what did you do while you were in? I also have a not so great old GPA and I’m very nervous about my application this year. Where did you apply to?
This is my second application cycle and I chose 8 schools: ISU, MSU, UW, LMU, SGU, UMN, SDSU/UMN, VA-MD. I'm really hoping for VA-MD. How about you? What branch were you in? I retired USAF-ANG AGR.

This is my second application cycle and I chose 8 schools: ISU, MSU, UW, LMU, SGU, UMN, SDSU/UMN, VA-MD. I'm really hoping for VA-MD. How about you? What branch were you in? I retired USAF-ANG AGR.
It’s my first cycle. I applied to KSU, ISU, Purdue, Cornell, tufts. I really want KSU…. I hope you get VA-MD! Absolutely amazing that you retired, def salute you for sticking with it! I was an AD Army 🤗

Wow, your GPA is great! I'm so surprised to hear you were rejected! You'll definitely get in elsewhere!

Accepted to SGU's FTV program today. 🙂

One down, seven to go.

Hey all! I am also a somewhat(?) non-trad applicant. 24yo, married, took six years to do undergrad (AA 2018, BS 2021), and just started my masters. LGBT and a first gen college student as well. I never know what group I fit in with, trad vs non-trad. I changed majors 3 times and had many life upheavals hence the long undergrad career. I applied to nine schools; this is my second cycle. So far three rejections, I'm hopeful, but I'm trying to keep myself in check :lol:

Got OOS virtual panel invite to Michigan today. My understanding is that means I'm either accepted or wait listed. Yay for non-trad!

Got OOS virtual panel invite to Michigan today. My understanding is that means I'm either accepted or wait listed. Yay for non-trad!
Congrats!! Definitely says that ageism is not playing much of a role! I am quite a bit older than you and this is giving me hope. I only applied to 2 schools. Was offered interviews, but will not heat more until February.

Congrats!! Definitely says that ageism is not playing much of a role! I am quite a bit older than you and this is giving me hope. I only applied to 2 schools. Was offered interviews, but will not heat more until February.
I've worried about that also, but this year things seem to be working out so far. 🙂

In the schools you picked! Awesome! I didn’t have that luck. UF is confirmed as agism is a thing. They do not accept people over 45. :(

• Wow
  • Sad
In the schools you picked! Awesome! I didn’t have that luck. UF is confirmed as agism is a thing. They do not accept people over 45. :(
You keep saying this and I find it to be pretty inappropriate. You can’t possibly know what goes on behind the scenes in any admissions department. It would not be difficult for them to deduce who you are if one of them happens to check out these forums. Heck, even a current student could screenshot these things and send them to admissions knowing that you’re an applicant.

This profession is so so small and continuing to spread information like this isn’t going to do you any favors … especially not when you’re already at the bottom of the totem pole as an applicant. Why not channel your bitterness into something constructive that helps you? Continuing to spread this information will not do anything except potentially hurt you.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey all! I've been meaning to post in here for a while but keep forgetting haha! I'm sort of non-traditional I suppose? 26 years old, applied to 15 schools. I was pre-vet for my BS but for a multitude of reasons, ended up with a sub 3.0 cGPA upon graduating after 5 years and 3 majors. I went into a non vet med related science field (research-based, somewhat related to my undergrad research) for a year, but quickly knew it was wrong, so landed a job at my in-state vet school's hospital in a very unique position. Since then, I have taken DIY post-bacc courses to "prove myself" in the upper level sciences while working full time. So far, I have received a couple auto rejects from OOS schools, but a first round invite to Penn and a seminar invite to Michigan! SOOO here's to my (potential) success story of quite literally digging my way up from the bottom, against the academic odds! Persistence does pay off!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
You keep saying this and I find it to be pretty inappropriate. You can’t possibly know what goes on behind the scenes in any admissions department. It would not be difficult for them to deduce who you are if one of them happens to check out these forums. Heck, even a current student could screenshot these things and send them to admissions knowing that you’re an applicant.

This profession is so so small and continuing to spread information like this isn’t going to do you any favors … especially not when you’re already at the bottom of the totem pole as an applicant. Why not channel your bitterness into something constructive that helps you? Continuing to spread this information will not do anything except potentially hurt you.
I know for a fact it’s true because of students currently there. You can also just look at the stats. They are facts.

Also, I AM BITTER. I will never get in after busting my butt because of agism. This was it, I’m 51 and it’s just too late for me. Are you a vet? We’re you given the chance? If yes, who are you to judge me? I’ve asked other schools for file reviews and they have no advice. VM said I got full points on all my essays and said it was “luck”. UGA someone I know that works there flat out told me I was “too old”. Now I’m told by current students that same info. I shouldn’t be “bottom of the totem pole” why am I? You tell me since you’re so insightful!

I will say I forwarded the persons post who said they hoped they video essay scared people off to our diversity dean as an example of why it's a bad idea. However as a current student at UF who knew someone who was an interviewer the interviewer had to fight for a classmate to get in who would turn 46 before we started. They said he'd be too old. That's not an isolated incident. It's something I've brought up to the dean along and we are trying to fix discrimination in the interview process but it's a tough battle.

• Care
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Also, I AM BITTER. I will never get in after busting my butt because of agism. This was it, I’m 51 and it’s just too late for me. Are you a vet? We’re you given the chance? If yes, who are you to judge me? I’ve asked other schools for file reviews and they have no advice. VM said I got full points on all my essays and said it was “luck”. UGA someone I know that works there flat out told me I was “too old”. Now I’m told by current students that same info. I shouldn’t be “bottom of the totem pole” why am I? You tell me since you’re so insightful!
Sorry if that came across wrong, I meant bottom of the totem pole in regards to the profession as a whole, not the applicant pool specifically.

I just don’t see how talking bad about a program in a public “anonymous” forum is going to change anything, except potentially hurt you. If you want to attend UF, it seems like common sense not to openly speak negatively about them.

To me the stats don’t mean a whole lot, as I stated elsewhere in this thread. There’s no way of knowing how many applicants 50+ years old they had, nor do we have any way of knowing how strong their applications were. From my perspective you’re missing a big chunk of the other side of the story to make a blanket statement that they’re ageist. And if you’re so sure that they are, why even bother applying there? There are other schools with older students in their classes (my school included).

Sorry if that came across wrong, I meant bottom of the totem pole in regards to the profession as a whole, not the applicant pool specifically.

I just don’t see how talking bad about a program in a public “anonymous” forum is going to change anything, except potentially hurt you. If you want to attend UF, it seems like common sense not to openly speak negatively about them.

To me the stats don’t mean a whole lot, as I stated elsewhere in this thread. There’s no way of knowing how many applicants 50+ years old they had, nor do we have any way of knowing how strong their applications were. From my perspective you’re missing a big chunk of the other side of the story to make a blanket statement that they’re ageist. And if you’re so sure that they are, why even bother applying there? There are other schools with older students in their classes (my school included).
It’s my IS school and the stats are all online with ages of applicants and interview ages and acceptances. It’s never over 45. If we don’t talk about this in public it will never change. Call them out and don’t stay silent because silence is not an option. I’ve applied all over the country and had file reviews all over. They all say mostly the same thing and to just try again. No one has any specific advice for me, so when you say things like you have, you’re dismissing my experiences. The very school you are at said I had full points on all my essays and a good gpa and I wasn’t even given the normal “waitlisted” label there (I mean do they waitlist like 500 people?!). Like I said before I have 4 publications and a cover of Cell with brain surgeries on mice…plus I presented my heartworm research at the triennial symposium. I was lead tech at Banfield for over 10 years before I worked in research and worked at the zoo in the bird department and rehabbed manatees. Have you tube fed a manatee? Bet that’s not common in an app. I also worked with a researcher doing surfactant extractions on horses after treating them with an EFA supplement and presented that research so I’m not even lacking in large animal med. I’m not an idiot and no one even LOOKED at my video (or my app I bet). My experiences are real and you’re just gaslighting me. It’s not acceptable.

Also, to be clear, we applied at the same school at the same time. Do I have more animal hours than you? Do you have an MS, publications, countless poster presentations and a 3.8 GPA. Are you a better applicant? How and why? I wasn’t even waitlisted. Do you have classmates with less stats?

I would on the topic of bias like to forward this article AAVMC report points to bias in admissions process as it touches on things that are being brought up but still need changing. This isn’t even getting into once You get in and the changes happening for students to address health and mental health ( actually not just pizza and a talk)

I would on the topic of bias like to forward this article AAVMC report points to bias in admissions process as it touches on things that are being brought up but still need changing. This isn’t even getting into once You get in and the changes happening for students to address health and mental health ( actually not just pizza and a talk)
Wow, I’m shocked at the information pertaining to money. I am also a Pell Grant recipient with substantial debt. Is that more of a factor than my age? Or is is a combination and when they see my age they think I do not have the ability to overcome the debt? Do they automatically think they’re doing me some kind of favor? Interesting information.

Ageism is a thing across many (if not all) professions, I would not claim that veterinary medicine is an exception. Older applicants do get accepted to some schools, but we can't deny that the vast majority of applicants are younger and that many older applicants are highly qualified. I think a serious (and not necessarily unfounded) reason for not picking an older applicant would be this: How long is this new veterinarian going to serve the industry? Would a younger vet better serve the industry given their longer amount of working life left?

Don't get me wrong, I do not think that is enough justification. No one can know what someone's future has in store for them, to assume is being ageist. Someone at 50 may work 20+ more years, someone at 25 may retire early before 50 to prioritize family (just an example). I will say that @zoogrl29 , I think your emotions at play here do not come across well. I deeply feel for you, you sound like a brilliant, passionate individual with a lot of potential in veterinary medicine. Given that, your emotional take on the situation is not flattering. In a less competitive field, I would say go all in, tell the world what needs to be heard, but if you still intend on applying, taking a more objective and less emotional stance will bode better.