Non-URM, Non-traditional, Ohio Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ogleea

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cumulative GPA: 3.98
Science GPA: 3.97
MCAT: Registered for, not taken yet
Biochemistry major, pre-medicine and student leadership certificates

ECs:
- Weekly hospital volunteer position - should be >100 hours by time I apply
- Animal shelter volunteer - ~80 hours
- 4 semesters of research (1 research grant, 1 summer program, and 2 independent studies) - >1000 hours
- First author publication in an internationally-recognized journal, 3 professional oral presentations (1 international)
- Multiple jobs (English tutoring, SI leader in gen chem, newspaper writer, desk assistant) - >1000 hours
- 2 honor societies
- 25 hours urgent care shadowing (have another shadowing opportunity coming up where I'll get a lot of hours)
- A few academic awards/scholarships

So for the non-traditional part, I'm going to be 19 when I get my degree, which I'm not sure if that would be a point in my favor or not. I'm registered to take my MCAT at the very beginning of June and ideally, I would apply this cycle. However, I'm not sure that my ECs are strong enough now and I will have a lot more next year (applying to be an RA, will have an internship, more volunteer time, etc). I really would prefer not to take a gap year, but I will if I have to. I would really appreciate any advice/recommendations/comments anyone has.