nonscience major count as disadvantaged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HondoThePirate

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was recently advised to list myself as disadvantaged because I was a business major and went premed in my Junior year. This person told me to write about having to take more classes in less time, explain why I had less premed activities, and that I scored well on the MCAT while spending very little (because of having to pay off loans). I am a reapplicant and I qualified as "SES: Yes, EO2" last year, but I have never thought of myself as socioeconomically disadvantaged (middle-class background). Does anyone know if it is legitimate to say I am disadvantaged? If so, does anyone have any advice on writing this?
If it helps, I have high metrics, some research, good volunteering experiences, and am a scribe. I didn't get any interviews last year because of my personal statement.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
No... that is the worst advice I've heard in a long, long time.

Revise your personal statement and move on. Do not claim to be disadvantaged.

Reactions: 19 users
No... that is the worst advice I've heard in a long, long time.

Revise your personal statement and move on. Do not claim to be disadvantaged.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Was only considering because this person worked for a postbac program

Members don't see this ad :)
people like your advisor really scare me.... Honestly some of them give such a weird advice... I wonder how many talented students never got into medical school because they listened to ppl like that...

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone,

I was recently advised to list myself as disadvantaged because I was a business major and went premed in my Junior year. This person told me to write about having to take more classes in less time, explain why I had less premed activities, and that I scored well on the MCAT while spending very little (because of having to pay off loans). I am a reapplicant and I qualified as "SES: Yes, EO2" last year, but I have never thought of myself as socioeconomically disadvantaged (middle-class background). Does anyone know if it is legitimate to say I am disadvantaged? If so, does anyone have any advice on writing this?
If it helps, I have high metrics, some research, good volunteering experiences, and am a scribe. I didn't get any interviews last year because of my personal statement.
Was the person who told you that nonsense a gunner pre-med trying to sabotage your career? Because they were either that, or so criminally stupid i'm amazed that they could remember how to breathe.

Reactions: 3 users
people like your advisor really scare me.... Honestly some of them give such a weird advice... I wonder how many talented students never got into medical school because they listened to ppl like that...
Personally speaking, I've had probably 4-5 official advisors during my time in high school and college and only 1 was any good. You can go 2 if you want to lump in my high school advisor because she tried her best even though her knowledge / skills were okay at best. As far as I can tell, my journey to medical school would've been way easier if I would've had someone early on who just knew what they were taking about and interested in what I was doing, especially because I come from a rural area.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you sure that you didn't get any interviews just because of your personal statement? If the rest of your application is solid you'd have to write a pretty awful personal statement for that to be the only factor.

Not to pour salt in the wound, just want to bring that up in case you're overlooking other issues that caused you to get shut out last year.