Nontraditional student: postbacc vs SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hopefullydoc117

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in a dilemma between selecting an SMP (Loyola MSMP) or taking classes at Northwestern University through their evening certificate program. I'm very low-income and it would be a big burden to take out that almost $50,000 loan for the SMP. Plus, I currently work in a local healthcare job which I think is a plus for a nontraditional student like me and I'll most likely have to give that up if I do the SMP. Plus it'll be 1.5 hours of commute each way. But, my major concern is the money.

Stats:

1. I have a 3.12 GPA from a top-3 undergrad college. Majored in Biological Sciences. I immigrated to Us right before college began and had a difficult time adjusting during my first year. My Gap has a strong upward trend - 3.5 or above for 3rd and 4th year. My low science grades are mostly in advanced physics and chemistry - I had originally planned on being a physics double-major.

2. MCAT = 512, planning to retake it because it's been 2+ years since I took it.
3. IL
4. Asian
5. Top 3 private university (midwest)
6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 100+ hours - intervention projects for cancer screening - interviewing patients, research development, data analysis; case management and care coordination at local health clinic 320 hours, mentoring youth with sickle cell disease in hospital 320 hrs
7. Research: Clinical research - effectiveness of patient navigation to address social determinants of health - poster presentation at University-wide conference (150 hrs); clinical research - faith-based breast cancer intervention program - will be published as primary author for paper within he next 6 months (300 hrs) ; biochemistry research
8. Shadowing experience: 150 hours: pulmonary medicine, family practice, international shadowing in South Asia and Latin America
9. Non-clinical volunteering: underserved schools in inner city 400+ hrs, international mentorship for women in science 200hrs;
10. Started and sustained a music group in College (200hrs); handled finances of two large student organizations - event planning (150 hrs); started a magazine, which is still in publication (100hrs) represented university in national entrepreneurial conference
11. worked in local hospital on opioid use, mental health and criminal justice-related project for 1+ years (full-time) (during 1st gap year)
12. Award from University for Service
13. bilingual, low-income, grew up abroad

I am hoping to take classes during my 2nd gap year and then do additional research/classes in ym 3rd gap year. The main reason for taking these years off is because my mental health was suffering while in school and I needed to take some time off to prevent burnout.