You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
~NonTraditionals~: Ages
Started by AdroitDarkHorse
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I finish residency in 1 year at the very young and hip age of 45!
Broken hip age?
*runs and hides*

Seriously, that's awesome.
ekydrd, that is very inspirational, as I seem to be on a parallel course.
Congrats to you and the other non trads on this thread who are living life without regrets.
Congrats to you and the other non trads on this thread who are living life without regrets.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Update: Now coming up on the end of my first year, I can definitely say that being a non-trad in med school works just fine. I am 31 and loving it. Of course, I am finding that I now have to read things a couple more times than I used to back in college (but then again there are a lot of other things competing for my concentration now that I didn't used to have. Read: wife and kids, finances, sucking in my love handles, etc....). Anyway, i'm chuggin along. 🙂
Broken hip age?
*runs and hides*
Seriously, that's awesome.
Yeah, but as long as I can still get around with my wheeled walker I'll be fine.😀
Yeah, but as long as I can still get around with my wheeled walker I'll be fine.😀
Have you considered a rascal? They come in age-defying blue and super sexy red. 😛
Wow...thanks so much for this thread!
I'm 37 right now 😱 and will be 38 in a few weeks. If I do end up applying it would be for matriculation in 2 years. I feel so old and I was beginning to feel like I am too old...it looks like I'm not the only older student.
I'm 37 right now 😱 and will be 38 in a few weeks. If I do end up applying it would be for matriculation in 2 years. I feel so old and I was beginning to feel like I am too old...it looks like I'm not the only older student.
submitted my AMCAS at 24, matriculating at 25
i thought that i had lost a lot of time in getting on with my career. "i won't be an MD until I'm 30? oh no!"
this thread is pretty incredible... has brought a lot of perspective 👍
Isn't 25 the average age for matriculation?
i'm 27 and a sophmore undergrad... taking the MCAT next year (probably), 29-ish when i matriculate, 33-ish when i graduate. If i am still loving pathology, then i'm 38-ish when i start working. no problem.🙂
Isn't 25 the average age for matriculation?
Yes.
I am 28 now...originally was going to apply next year but I am going to finish my undergrad first then apply so that leaves me apply in 2010 and entering 2011. I will be 31.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OK all you young pups... (30 indeed!) I was 38 when I started medical school. I finish residency in 1 year at the very young and hip age of 45! If I can do it in my 40's then anyone can!!!
You are awesome! What specialty? Sounds like I am going to be following in your age"shoes" hehehe
I am 32 and I am starting Pre-Med in the Fall.
class of 2017😎
class of 2017😎
28, starting post bac in a few weeks. Starting med school at 30 if I link (which is highly unlikely given the fact that the vast majority of people don't successfully do so), so probably will be 31.
Took a detour to work in federal politics for 6 1/2 years. Hoping I haven't lost too many IQ points since UG. (Okay, I know that's theoretically not supposed to happen, but I definitely feel slower than I was at 18-21).
Took a detour to work in federal politics for 6 1/2 years. Hoping I haven't lost too many IQ points since UG. (Okay, I know that's theoretically not supposed to happen, but I definitely feel slower than I was at 18-21).
28, starting post bac in a few weeks. Starting med school at 30 if I link (which is highly unlikely given the fact that the vast majority of people don't successfully do so), so probably will be 31.
Took a detour to work in federal politics for 6 1/2 years. Hoping I haven't lost too many IQ points since UG. (Okay, I know that's theoretically not supposed to happen, but I definitely feel slower than I was at 18-21).
LOl Naw I think older students are more smarter than younger ones 😀😀😀
I love this thread. i am 24 going to be 25 when matriculating. I keep going back and forth thinking i am too old (yes!! to old) to matriculate because by the time I finish ill be 29. this thread is deff. inspiring
24-25 is the average age for folks starting med school, so get over it. And you'll be at least 32 when you finish.
Current Age: 29
Age by time of application: 31
Age by matriculation (if all goes well): 32
edit to add: insert :rock on: smiley here for the older post-baccs!
Age by time of application: 31
Age by matriculation (if all goes well): 32
edit to add: insert :rock on: smiley here for the older post-baccs!
Isn't 25 the average age for matriculation?
might be, but i would guess the median is more like 23. regardless, i'm happy to be on my way!
I was 28 when I returned to undergrad to do prereqs. I did not have any of them as my first degree is BA in Humanities/Music. It took me 4 years, because I also worked full-time. I applied to med school last year at 32 and will matriculate this August at 33.
3 careers later. 3 Voc degrees - still want to be a Doc and Teach. Went back to school for undergrad at 26 half way done now at 33. Work fulltime, have 3.9 loving all of my classes including sciences, especially the sciences! All thoughts and plans are leading back to Doc - thinking DO is the route for me.
"Wisdom sails with wind and time" --John Florio
"Wisdom sails with wind and time" --John Florio
29 here, planning on taking MCAT August 15 for hopeful matriculation while I'm still 30, if only for a month. 🙂
I don't know about you other non-trads, but I don't feel any different than I did at 21, only with a better perspective, more life experience, and more compassion. Though this is what I've wanted to do as long as I can remember, I feel like I'm just now ready. (Hoping AdComs will agree!)
I don't know about you other non-trads, but I don't feel any different than I did at 21, only with a better perspective, more life experience, and more compassion. Though this is what I've wanted to do as long as I can remember, I feel like I'm just now ready. (Hoping AdComs will agree!)
29 now, hope to be 30 when I matriculate. 31 if I get in next cycle.
Took some time in a graduate program that led me back to medicine...
Took some time in a graduate program that led me back to medicine...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, I feel old. I will start medical school at 35 and finish my residency by 42 or so. Well, I am going to be 42 regradless, so might as well be 42 and enjoy what I'm doing or 42 and still teaching H.S. It could always be worse!
I couldn't agree with you more. While I am only 27 (for now) and will hopefully be entering med school by the time I am 30, I still find myself getting into a "timeline" mentality, and at those times I start thinking about how long it will be (and how much older I will be) before finish my residency, etc. But then I take a look at myself in the mirror and remember I only have one life to live, so if I'm going to be 38 whether I'm out of med school and only just finishing up my residency or 38 or having worked as a physician assistant for six years but wishing I had "gone all the way" (not that there is anything wrong with being a PA), I may as well go with the option that is likely to leave me with the least regret.
Back 4 Post Bac said:28, starting post bac in a few weeks. Starting med school at 30 if I link (which is highly unlikely given the fact that the vast majority of people don't successfully do so), so probably will be 31.
Took a detour to work in federal politics for 6 1/2 years. Hoping I haven't lost too many IQ points since UG. (Okay, I know that's theoretically not supposed to happen, but I definitely feel slower than I was at 18-21).
LOl Naw I think older students are more smarter than younger ones 😀😀😀
I feel dumber but more wily, if that's possible. 🙂
I feel dumber but more wily, if that's possible. 🙂
I dont think that is possible with that MCAT score you have🙂🙂
1
168533
I'm 24. Just graduated college with a double major in philosophy and biology. Took me 6 years. I'm going to take a few extra classes this fall and spring. I hope to start medical school Fall 2010, so I'll be 26. I hope this is what happens, but you never know. 🙂
Wow, I feel old. I will start medical school at 35 and finish my residency by 42 or so. Well, I am going to be 42 regradless, so might as well be 42 and enjoy what I'm doing or 42 and still teaching H.S. It could always be worse!
Forty-one here... but fortunately most people have no idea I'm that old! 🙄
Y'all are young'uns. I'm an MSI at the ripe old age of 39. Currently looking for a graveplot with a nice view of the river under a large elm tree,
I'm still beating y'all! 😀
I'm still beating y'all! 😀
Hardly. I'm starting at 42 this summer, and sherruns is starting at 50.
Cale said:I'm 22, but will hopefully be 25 when I actually start medical school.
ha, your wording is funny here. we all hope you make it to 25, too 🙂
Took some time in a graduate program that led me back to medicine...
Story of my life...
I think I am a borderline non-trad...but I'll share, too.
I am 21 yrs. old and have one year of undergrad complete. I have been a long time equine enthusiast and pursued a professional training career for 2 years(have ridden and shown for 13). After a rather unfortunate accident in October that left me in the hospital for a month undergoing 8 surgeries(got kicked in the stomach...not a good thing haha), I chose to rethink my future.
I had always been interested in the medical field, but never had the confidence to actually go for it. With the help of an amazing Chief Resident who helped me to realize that it was possible to achieve, I am now working in an OR(LOVING every minute of it I might add) and working hard to reach med school.
All I have to say is "Everything happens for a reason!" 🙂
I am 21 yrs. old and have one year of undergrad complete. I have been a long time equine enthusiast and pursued a professional training career for 2 years(have ridden and shown for 13). After a rather unfortunate accident in October that left me in the hospital for a month undergoing 8 surgeries(got kicked in the stomach...not a good thing haha), I chose to rethink my future.
I had always been interested in the medical field, but never had the confidence to actually go for it. With the help of an amazing Chief Resident who helped me to realize that it was possible to achieve, I am now working in an OR(LOVING every minute of it I might add) and working hard to reach med school.
All I have to say is "Everything happens for a reason!" 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
31 yo. Matriculating this August.
Here's some inspiration, not just for being an older premed, but to LIVIN' beyond chronology:
http://www.esquire.com/features/don-wildman-0508
Here's some inspiration, not just for being an older premed, but to LIVIN' beyond chronology:
http://www.esquire.com/features/don-wildman-0508
I'm 27 and my first baby should be arriving any day! I'll be 28 when I start med school (if everything works out...). After much soul-searching, I started an informal post-bacc two years ago, then took one semester to prep for the MCAT and now I'll spend a year just being a mom before diving back into school. 😀
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 18
- Views
- 3K