~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OK all you young pups... (30 indeed!) I was 38 when I started medical school. I finish residency in 1 year at the very young and hip age of 45! If I can do it in my 40's then anyone can!!!

Members don't see this ad.

ekydrd, that is very inspirational, as I seem to be on a parallel course.

Congrats to you and the other non trads on this thread who are living life without regrets.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: Now coming up on the end of my first year, I can definitely say that being a non-trad in med school works just fine. I am 31 and loving it. Of course, I am finding that I now have to read things a couple more times than I used to back in college (but then again there are a lot of other things competing for my concentration now that I didn't used to have. Read: wife and kids, finances, sucking in my love handles, etc....). Anyway, i'm chuggin along. :)

submitted my AMCAS at 24, matriculating at 25

i thought that i had lost a lot of time in getting on with my career. "i won't be an MD until I'm 30? oh no!"

this thread is pretty incredible... has brought a lot of perspective :thumbup:

Broken hip age?

*runs and hides* :laugh:

Seriously, that's awesome.

Yeah, but as long as I can still get around with my wheeled walker I'll be fine.:D

Wow...thanks so much for this thread!

I'm 37 right now :eek: and will be 38 in a few weeks. If I do end up applying it would be for matriculation in 2 years. I feel so old and I was beginning to feel like I am too old...it looks like I'm not the only older student.

Began at LECOM at 30. Winding down my Internship at 35. Will be an Anesthesiologist at 38. No worries.

37, but will be 38 in September. Matriculating this August! After med school and peds residency will be 46. After all, 50 is the new 30!!!!

Roselee

Me - 30

Hairline - 50

Knees - 75

Maturity level (according to girlfriend) - 12

submitted my AMCAS at 24, matriculating at 25

i thought that i had lost a lot of time in getting on with my career. "i won't be an MD until I'm 30? oh no!"

this thread is pretty incredible... has brought a lot of perspective :thumbup:

Isn't 25 the average age for matriculation?

i'm 27 and a sophmore undergrad... taking the MCAT next year (probably), 29-ish when i matriculate, 33-ish when i graduate. If i am still loving pathology, then i'm 38-ish when i start working. no problem.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 28 now...originally was going to apply next year but I am going to finish my undergrad first then apply so that leaves me apply in 2010 and entering 2011. I will be 31.

36 now 37 when I start med school

OK all you young pups... (30 indeed!) I was 38 when I started medical school. I finish residency in 1 year at the very young and hip age of 45! If I can do it in my 40's then anyone can!!!

You are awesome! What specialty? Sounds like I am going to be following in your age"shoes" hehehe

I am 32 and I am starting Pre-Med in the Fall.
class of 2017
:cool:

28, starting post bac in a few weeks. Starting med school at 30 if I link (which is highly unlikely given the fact that the vast majority of people don't successfully do so), so probably will be 31.

Took a detour to work in federal politics for 6 1/2 years. Hoping I haven't lost too many IQ points since UG. (Okay, I know that's theoretically not supposed to happen, but I definitely feel slower than I was at 18-21).

28, starting post bac in a few weeks. Starting med school at 30 if I link (which is highly unlikely given the fact that the vast majority of people don't successfully do so), so probably will be 31.

Took a detour to work in federal politics for 6 1/2 years. Hoping I haven't lost too many IQ points since UG. (Okay, I know that's theoretically not supposed to happen, but I definitely feel slower than I was at 18-21).

LOl Naw I think older students are more smarter than younger ones :D:D:D

I love this thread. i am 24 going to be 25 when matriculating. I keep going back and forth thinking i am too old (yes!! to old) to matriculate because by the time I finish ill be 29. this thread is deff. inspiring

I love this thread. i am 24 going to be 25 when matriculating. I keep going back and forth thinking i am too old (yes!! to old) to matriculate because by the time I finish ill be 29. this thread is deff. inspiring

24-25 is the average age for folks starting med school, so get over it. And you'll be at least 32 when you finish.

I am 39 and I start med school in August. When I interviewed there were several students ranging from 38-44 in the class.

Current Age: 29

Age by time of application: 31

Age by matriculation (if all goes well): 32

edit to add: insert :rock on: smiley here for the older post-baccs!

Isn't 25 the average age for matriculation?

might be, but i would guess the median is more like 23. regardless, i'm happy to be on my way!

I'm 22, but will hopefully be 25 when I actually start medical school.

I was 28 when I returned to undergrad to do prereqs. I did not have any of them as my first degree is BA in Humanities/Music. It took me 4 years, because I also worked full-time. I applied to med school last year at 32 and will matriculate this August at 33.

3 careers later. 3 Voc degrees - still want to be a Doc and Teach. Went back to school for undergrad at 26 half way done now at 33. Work fulltime, have 3.9 loving all of my classes including sciences, especially the sciences! All thoughts and plans are leading back to Doc - thinking DO is the route for me.

"Wisdom sails with wind and time" --John Florio

29 here, planning on taking MCAT August 15 for hopeful matriculation while I'm still 30, if only for a month. :)
I don't know about you other non-trads, but I don't feel any different than I did at 21, only with a better perspective, more life experience, and more compassion. Though this is what I've wanted to do as long as I can remember, I feel like I'm just now ready. (Hoping AdComs will agree!)

29 now, hope to be 30 when I matriculate. 31 if I get in next cycle.

Took some time in a graduate program that led me back to medicine...

Wow, I feel old. I will start medical school at 35 and finish my residency by 42 or so. Well, I am going to be 42 regradless, so might as well be 42 and enjoy what I'm doing or 42 and still teaching H.S. It could always be worse!

I couldn't agree with you more. While I am only 27 (for now) and will hopefully be entering med school by the time I am 30, I still find myself getting into a "timeline" mentality, and at those times I start thinking about how long it will be (and how much older I will be) before finish my residency, etc. But then I take a look at myself in the mirror and remember I only have one life to live, so if I'm going to be 38 whether I'm out of med school and only just finishing up my residency or 38 or having worked as a physician assistant for six years but wishing I had "gone all the way" (not that there is anything wrong with being a PA), I may as well go with the option that is likely to leave me with the least regret.

I'm 29 years old, been doing municipal 911 work as an EMT for the past 5 years, starting pre-med in spring '09.

Back 4 Post Bac said:

LOl Naw I think older students are more smarter than younger ones :D:D:D

I feel dumber but more wily, if that's possible. :)

I'm 24. Just graduated college with a double major in philosophy and biology. Took me 6 years. I'm going to take a few extra classes this fall and spring. I hope to start medical school Fall 2010, so I'll be 26. I hope this is what happens, but you never know. :)

Wow, I feel old. I will start medical school at 35 and finish my residency by 42 or so. Well, I am going to be 42 regradless, so might as well be 42 and enjoy what I'm doing or 42 and still teaching H.S. It could always be worse!

Forty-one here... but fortunately most people have no idea I'm that old! :rolleyes:

Y'all are young'uns. I'm an MSI at the ripe old age of 39. Currently looking for a graveplot with a nice view of the river under a large elm tree,

I'm still beating y'all! :D

Cale said:
I'm 22, but will hopefully be 25 when I actually start medical school.

ha, your wording is funny here. we all hope you make it to 25, too :)

36...but will 37 when I start this august....

But you wouldn't believe it if you saw me.

I think I am a borderline non-trad...but I'll share, too.

I am 21 yrs. old and have one year of undergrad complete. I have been a long time equine enthusiast and pursued a professional training career for 2 years(have ridden and shown for 13). After a rather unfortunate accident in October that left me in the hospital for a month undergoing 8 surgeries(got kicked in the stomach...not a good thing haha), I chose to rethink my future.
I had always been interested in the medical field, but never had the confidence to actually go for it. With the help of an amazing Chief Resident who helped me to realize that it was possible to achieve, I am now working in an OR(LOVING every minute of it I might add) and working hard to reach med school.

All I have to say is "Everything happens for a reason!" :)

28 y/o male nurse...hopefully not for much longer

38 y/o female nurse...also hopefully not for much longer!

37 y/o. If all goes well (fingers crossed) will matriculate at 38.

I'm 27 and my first baby should be arriving any day! I'll be 28 when I start med school (if everything works out...). After much soul-searching, I started an informal post-bacc two years ago, then took one semester to prep for the MCAT and now I'll spend a year just being a mom before diving back into school. :D