~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm 21, just recently turned it on Aug. 1st. I consider myself non-trad because I graduated on the 10th and have a 6 month old daughter.

Members don't see this ad.

In the Army as an Infantry Officer before I decided to try and get into Med School upon completion of my obligation.

36 (will be 37 next in a few months) with a wife, 3 year old, and one due around Christmas.

Worked in Advertising and Technical Writing before going back and getting my Master's in Clinical Psych. Currently working as a therapist for a company treating dually diagnosed patients. Had the inspiration to become a doc while working at a hospital unit and decided to go for it. Told myself I would never go back to school when I first got my UG degree. Said it again when I got my Master's. (I've got to stop saying that I'll never go back to school).

Finishing up my prereqs (Orgo I and II). Will take MCAT in Spring and apply for 2009.

Members don't see this ad :)
27. Applying this year, so hopefully will be 28 upon entrance.

25. I have a 5 year old son. Started school when he was 1.

36 yo. Wish my MCAT score matched my age.

30 years old (last week, eek). Switching from engineering to medicine. No more cubicles, woo hoo!

24...applying this year so I will be 24 or 25 on entrance (depending on when in august)

28 now, 29 when I hopefully start. 33 when I finish school, 37 when I am done with residency and probably dead by the time I finish paying off loans.

Sweet!

Currently active duty military, military intelligence officer (hahaha oxymoron), gettin out and trying my hand at something different.

30 and in my 4th year, will be 31 when I graduate.

One new husband, 0 children and looking towards a 3 yr residency...
Biological clock is ticking :scared:

30.425 now! Will be around 34 if accepted first time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be 42 when I hopefully start next year

33, with at least two more years of undergrad ahead of me, and possibly some post-bacc.

27, will be 28 in a month. I have been working at a Pharmaceutical company for the past 6 years since undergrad, currently as a Production manager.

I am 38. Hoping to start in post-bacc in the spring.

I have a degree in engineering. But I have some serious recovering to do on my gpa.

I hope that this is open to pre-dental non trads as well. I am 35 and I am married and have 3 kids. And my wife says since we will be making more money soon, let's have the 4th!!! I have applied and hope to enter Dental school in 2008 and graduate at 39 (going on 40)

30 YO, seven years PICU/critical care transport experience. ADN-Nursing, BS-Bio. Married to a doc, NO MUNCHKINS! Ready to get accepted, probably to DO school d/t lower GPA, lower prior MCAT. Anxiously awaiting scores tomorrow! :)

26, hopefully 27 when I matriculate.

I have an MA in art history and a husband . . . no kids yet (soooo not ready and way too poor, given that my husband just graduated with a Master's in architecture). My sister-in-law is pregnant, though, and whenever I'm around her I keep having these dreams that I am too, and that I go on my med school interviews claiming to not be looking to have children for a while but my big belly gives me away. Scary! :laugh:

MCAT score in today and I sent it to aacomas. If I get in this cycle I will be 48 when I start. One daughter out of college, one daughter in college and my son is a senior in high school this year. I have been a teacher for 20 years except this last year when I took my pre-reqs full-time. I have a friend who just finished her psychiatry residency at 55. Needless to say my wife and kids are very supportive.

I'm 37, but I feel like I'm 25. I don't suppose that counts, huh?

25 just finished my BS, now on to my pre-reqs.

The big 4-0.
Gotta say, though, my 30's were great! Made me feel 10 years younger. So I'm really only going on 30 now. A youthful outlook must figure into relativity somehow. I wouldn't trade it. (Though maybe I'd cash in a couple of those junior high years...wouldn't mind getting those back if I could apply them to an earlier or later time.)

26 and finishing my bachelor's next year. After that it's prereqs and then med school! Not too bad. Life experience counts for something, doesn't it?

I'm 23 and have been working in information technology since I was 16. I just started working on my B.S. in January and will continue to work full time during the day and attend school at night for as long as I can.

22... one month will be 23 :(

Been an ED RN for a year, great place for a young adult to have some fun (and grow a few white hairs)

Hopefully apply to a postbac finish in a year (@ the age of 24) and start school around 25... thats the plan, but im in it for the long haul either way, so if i have to wait til im 30 to get my first acceptance 8 years later, then so be it :p

This website rocks... it makes the whole process somewhat fun =)

Btw i feel for the people who are leaving great jobs to pursue this... nursing is so hot around the country now it kinda hurts to turn my back on it, but in the end it isn't what i want to do

I'm now 31. Started post-bacc when I was 26 and got a 2nd BS instead. I will be leaving a six-figure salary in IT when I get into med school... oh boy, bye-bye paycheck... but it's worth it.
I'm applying this year to one school only. This is because I think I'm late in the game already and still waiting for my MCAT score. What do you guys think?

I'm 28, almost 29 in November. I have a master's degree in school counseling, and a bachelor's in psychology. I've been a counselor since the 2002-2003 school year.

I am starting my pre-reqs this spring. I have 5 classes to go, and will take one per semester (including two over the summer), so I plan to have my courses finished by the Spring of 2009. I'm also going to start volunteering and hope to accumulate a lot of hours over the next two years.

I have two daughters, ages 2 & 4.

*future DO*

I'm now 31. Started post-bacc when I was 26 and got a 2nd BS instead. I will be leaving a six-figure salary in IT when I get into med school... oh boy, bye-bye paycheck... but it's worth it.
I'm applying this year to one school only. This is because I think I'm late in the game already and still waiting for my MCAT score. What do you guys think?

You might be late in the game, but if you really want to go to Med School and don't get in with your suicide choice this year, you can leverage it to your advantage.

Every school you apply to will ask you if you are a re-applicant and if so what you have done to improve your chances. You can note what happened there. Regardless of what happens your first time around, if you have the numbers, you will be successful. Next year, if your MCAT score is pretty good, apply early and broadly. Also, you might want to look at D.O. schools. They typically take applicants later in the cycle then M.D.

In the meantime, sock away as much of your income as possible. If you can sock away a large part of your paycheck over the next two years, you will walk out of Med School with little to no debt. From an earning potential standpoint, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Business to Medicine after experience with family member's cancer.

26 and applying now. i majored in sociology.

30, with 1 toddler and 2 dogs. don't plan on applying for a couple more years...;)

31, just got accepted to my first-choice allopathic school. It can be done!

how long does it take you guys in the US to become doctors training wise?:luck:

Anyone know if oldman is the oldest SDNer to get accepted into med-school?

I just got accepted yesterday to DMU and I turn 49 tomorrow.

I am 106 years old. I was a medic in World War I, and I would like to take that training to the next level now.

I will be 110 when I graduate, and I'm thinking about a neurosurgery residency, with a fellowship in endovascular surgical neuroradiology. If I can finish this whole process by the time I'm 120, I'll be happy. Then I'll start making mad bank. Work for 30 years, and retire comfortably at 150.

I'm over 40 and screwed up everything, so I'm buying a new social security number and name, and taking on the identity of an 18 year old, URM if possible. I'll take my GED (and hopefully not screw it up) and then start college fresh. (Who says there's no clean slate?) I'll be majoring in Eastern medieval comparative bassoon anthropology, with a minor and research in immunology. I'll spend my breaks and summers in sub-Saharan Africa and will have more DABs than anybody. Might need some plastic surgery to pull off appearing 25 at 50.

Resurrecting this very illuminating and encouraging thread. 32 now, will be 33 when I matriculate this Fall. Glad to see that I'm in abundantly good company!

26 now. 27 by the time I start. 31 when I graduate. 35 when I'm done with my GMO tour. 39 by the time I'm done w/the residency I actually care about. Hoo Rah.

28...I will turn 29 about 1 month after I start med school this coming fall...my goal was to start before 30! so just barely!

35, Registered Respiratory Therapist (12yrs), Registered Nurse (5yrs), BSN, MS, 2y/o daughter, and 6 more premed classes to go. Hope to start 2010:D