~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
40 and I'm more focused than ever. I've finally learned how I learn best. That makes a huge difference with time spent effectively studying and retaining information.

I'm 49 and applying next year. Can you tell me how you found your best way to study?

Members don't see this ad.

27, graduating with BS and applying to dental school next year. Expecting to start dental school when I'm 29. Looking forward to finding my wife while in dental school. :D

4 years military service prior to college.

Last edited:
24, in physical therapy school, and will be switching at age 26 if accepted next cycle. All prerequisites had been completed in undergrad, I've been studying for the MCAT since last May (full-time coursework makes things tricky), and I take the test in January. I also have some LOR's set up.

Although I realized I was not as passionate about PT as I thought I would be (combined courses with med students helped me realize my true calling and prompted me to analyze "why medicine?" immediately), the patient contact, cultural outreach, and leadership in the health community aspects will certainly enrich future practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to be 35 in December. I'm an MS3.

I had a career before going to medical school cuz it truly is my calling! :)

40 years young. Recently completed a M.S. in Pharmacology & Toxicology at Michigan State University (Go Spartans!) and turned right around and started the MPH program at MSU.

Have submitted my AACOMAS apps and am hoping to get some D.O. interviews at A.T. Still-SOMA, Midwestern, and MSU. I have an interview w/ Ross University on the 25th. Wish me well!

I will turn 27 a month after starting med school next year. Silently freaking out about it.

25 as of July.

Married for 5 years. Wife is a nursing student (yeah, yeah, yeah, we're so cute with our career paths ;) ). 2 kids - 4 year old daughter, son will be 2 in Nov.

I am a medically disabled Marine and we are basically getting by on GI Bill, Disability, Pell Grants, and savings. Money is tight, as you can imagine. I've been looking for a job, but very little is hiring in my area that fits my wife's, my daughter's (just started Pre-K), and my schedule. The jobs that are hiring are paying PEANUTS ($8/hr with no benefits - not worth giving up my family and study time). We schedule so that one of us can always be home with the baby, as daycare is EXTREMELY expensive.

I was discharged for an orthopedic problem in my ankle, after serving for ca. 6 years. It kind of works out because I figured out I want to be an MD around 1.5 years in the Marines, and now I get to get started on it. Have been out since January and been working hard ever since.

Last edited:
Y'all are young'uns. I'm an MSI at the ripe old age of 39. Currently looking for a graveplot with a nice view of the river under a large elm tree,
38. Will be 39 when I start.

In a weird mental place now thinking what do I want to do, knowing that I'll be 43 when I START residency.

Thought my calling was primary care, but the more I read, the less I know.

Just turned 26 :(
Graduated in 2011 with a degree in Bio. The MegaCAT is holding me back. Took it twice so now I am taking Kaplan course. Retaking in Jan...the 26th...fingers crossed. Will apply (hopefully) for the 2014 entering class and only DO :D
So I will be 28 when I matriculate. I hope to find my other half in med school :D

I know this is a pre-med forum, but I'm replying anyway :p

Im 27 and currently a pre-pharm non-trad. I am studying for the PTCE as well as taking an online course, since Massachusetts requires a board-certified training program on top of taking the exam.

I'm hoping that once I become a Pharmacy Tech, I can find work while going back to school to finish up my bachelors *crosses fingers*

Well, I've already posted on here, but today I turn the big 3-0 :eek:

Panda612, don't worry, the nontrad forum is for all pre-professional nontrads, not just pre-med.

I know this is a pre-med forum, but I'm replying anyway :p

Im 27 and currently a pre-pharm non-trad. I am studying for the PTCE as well as taking an online course, since Massachusetts requires a board-certified training program on top of taking the exam.

I'm hoping that once I become a Pharmacy Tech, I can find work while going back to school to finish up my bachelors *crosses fingers*

Good luck! I entered pharmacy school at 28 and I have a few people in my class in their 30's. :)

Good luck! I entered pharmacy school at 28 and I have a few people in my class in their 30's. :)

Thanks! I actually looked at pre-requisites that I would need at my local community college , mainly because if I got a "traditional" 9-5, or rather, any day shift job as a Pharmacy Tech, I would need to attend school at night, or take courses online. I have found all of them at night and, as long as I dont need a bachelors, I will be able to apply for the Fall 2016 cycle (unless I can take calc either at a different college or take a weekday off and do a day class, because the only calc that I can take would be in fall of 2015), which seems like so far away but I would be 30 when I applied and 31 when I matriculated, which isn't too old, I suppose.

Right now, I am just focused on getting certified as a Tech, and maybe shadowing a Pharmacist, just so I have work experience as well as shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
22 but I will be 26 when I start (if everything plays out right) fooled around in school so I have A LOT of catching up to do.

Married with a 16 month.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Birthday wishes!! and yes I do have girly parts :laugh:

and VC7777 I'll gladly take you up on that drink offer, but I'm not sure I'll be interviewing in time to catch you there before you leave for residency. Hopefully though! I think I'm starting MCAT review this summer, then one more year of MPH.

32 here. I will be taking MCAT in March and applying as they start accepting applications. I will be 34 if I get it and 38 when I start residency. I have been working as a mechanical engineer. I have a family and multiple kiddos :) This is my third year chasing prerequisites while I work.

I'm 32 and finishing my first undergrad degree in neuroscience. I've had a lot of starts and stops in my academic career due to finances and such and I started out in studio art and the liberal arts. I live about 60-90min away from school (thank God I have a fuel efficient car) with my boyfriend (together 4 years), dog, and 3 cats.

I'm 36, married, with 3 kids (9,7,2). Work full-time as research scientist, just started MCAT course online, planning on MCAT in Jan. If all goes well, I will be 38 when I start.

I've heard this from someone else, probably here.... I'm going to be 42 (48, 55, etc) anyway, why not be doing something that I love!

35 :) and still kicking! I finally have grey hair...but that is from Premed, not life!

I'm 36, married, with 3 kids (9,7,2). Work full-time as research scientist, just started MCAT course online, planning on MCAT in Jan. If all goes well, I will be 38 when I start.

I've heard this from someone else, probably here.... I'm going to be 42 (48, 55, etc) anyway, why not be doing something that I love!

Exactly. :thumbup:

I'm 34 and have a 2 yr old son. I have about a year left of pre-med and my wife is finishing her master's in history before doctoral school.

38 in 2 months about to submit my last secondary!

I'm 28 now and getting married next month. Applied this cycle to a bunch of Canadian schools (I live in Toronto).

It's going to feel so old starting school with all these (mostly) 19-24 year olds.

I'm 36, married with 2 kids. Will be 41 when I'm ready to apply in 2017 :)

31 5/6 year old airline captain and finishing BS in Aviation. 2 years of prereqs and should be entering med school by 35.

I'm a soon-to-be 25 year old applicant..
for everyone who is older.. my boyfriend is 43 and is just finishing his surgical residency this summer (in the air force so they took him for 3 years after his intern year to pay back for med school). He is entering a CT surgery fellowship in July at Albany Medical Center and following that will be looking to do a peds CT fellowship so he won't be an attending until he is at least 46 years old but he loves what he does and that helps him stay motivated. Someone mentioned earlier that if you find your mind wandering, then take a break from studying and go to the gym or for a walk, take a nap, make some lunch, etc and come back when you're ready again.. reading/studying when you are tired or unfocused is pointless and would be just as productive as just sleeping instead.

Lots of luck to everyone who is applying.. if its something that you really want, don't give up or get discouraged.

Turning 21, if accepted in 2013 I'll be done at the tender age of 27 (med school is 6 years in Holland, 3-4 years uni, 2-3 years interships).

Now If I weren't a non-trad I would be studying medicine at the age of 18 and be done at 24, oh well. (18 years start isn't uncommon in Holland).

I like to play piano and will be taking violin lessons by the end of this year hopefully.

Currently 31, married with no children. Starting my post-bac program in Jan 2013. If all goes well I'll start med school in fall of 2015 at 34.

I still get carded at the packy after a fresh shave, so hopefully If I stay groomed and keep my weight down I'll fit right in and no one will suspect a thing! ::xf: :p

Hi everyone. I am 24 years old, have a 4 and 3 year old, and an awesome wife. I am currently enrolled in an Master in Public Health program, planning to retake the MCAT sometime next spring and I plan on applying next cycle.

47 just accepted to Ross and waiting for auc and some DO schools

Every single non-trad here seems to be married and have kids.

I'm 25 - single - but want kids!! If I go to med school - what if I don't have time to find my SO?? I hope I don't have to choose between medicine vs. family!!

30 - married 3 kids, took the grant money, stopped working cut all expenses possible, wife stays home to teach.

Last edited:
How about starting at 65. I met a few years ago a chiropractor who just started medical school.
He probably practices now.
I will be 63 at the end of August this year. I am an RN and finishing my BSN. I have a lot of education from Europe but...it got TOO OLD so I had to redo classes to get my RN and in BSN.

Economic factor???

OK, After finishing school you make HOW much? AT my age I am fairly set. Granted, my DH would want to golf and watch football. What about ME? Let's just say - my medical school cost is my new shoes or plastic surgery or some other

After residency 150 thousands plus is not uncommon so you can pay it back within a very few years. You can kick the bucket? Anybody can, anytime. How about Reeva?

BUT you bring the wisdom of your own life and what works and what does not in taking care of one's health.
If you are a doctor to help people to better take care of their health you are not too old.

I used to know a doctor that I met when he was 93 and was still practicing. Because young gang hos gave him a c.. he retook his boards at 75 and continued to practice. He charged people $30 for visit.

I was helping young medical students during their practice in my hospital. They were asking ME for a lot of things that THEY were supposed to know.

When your brain is active age has nothing to do with your choice of later life activities.

MEDICAL SCHOOL?

27 now, hoping to matriculate in 2015... just in time to turn 30. whenever I see average ages on med school class profiles (usually 23-24), it just makes me nervous. it's nice to see lots of other people in similar situations.

32 married with three kids (6,3,nb). My wife is a general surgery resident. I matriculate in August.

Just turned 27. Anticipating entering no later than age 28-29. Working on finishing pre-reqs now. Already completed undergrad & my MBA Degree 3 years ago. VP of Finance for my company (hours I've cut immensely to give attention to my pre-reqs!)... Worked as a physical fitness coach & bodybuilder for 10 years now which ignited my passion for medicine and the human body! :D

I'll be 42 when I matriculate this fall. Two IIs, one acceptance so far.

Gonna be 24 soon. Hoping to do a postbac and matriculate by the time I'm 26.