~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm 30 with a 2yo and another on the way. This year will be my first application cycle, and if I get in I'll be 31 when I start (and I'll turn 32 about a month in).

I was anxious about doing med school with little ones, but my Dr. told me started med school two weeks after giving birth (she's superwoman), and had another kid in residency. So, it's doable! And I love to see threads like this one where I can see all the different paths that bring folks to medicine -- it's inspiring :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I’m 33. If I am accepted this cycle, I will be a 34 year old MS1. At least I’m constantly told that I look younger.

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: 4 users
I’m 33. If I am accepted this cycle, I will be a 34 year old MS1. At least I’m constantly told that I look younger.

Sent from my iPhone
this makes me smile -- at 25 i looked 18, and i'm not sure the doogie howser effect was going to inspire a lot of confidence in patients, so ... I guess it's good that i'm an "old" pre-med now?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m 26, in sophmore year of undergrad biology degree. Taking all pre recs for med school now. Volunteering and shadowing all summer. Will be 28 when I apply, actually happy I’m going to med school later with more life experience and wisdom under my belt!

I'm 37, turning 38 this summer. I'm applying to dental school this cycle, and if I get in I will finish at 43. Like many of you, I don't plan to specialize. I can't justify the additional time and expense. I'm also a single mother of an 11-year-old daughter and 13-year-old son while working 55-60 hours/ wk and attending school full time. (What is sleep again?) My grades are on the lower end of competitive, but still in range. I'm hoping the ADCOM will view my life experiences as a valuable contribution to the class. I was a former professional opera singer, then taught music and elementary up to this point. Unfortunately, I can only attend one school in my area due to custody agreements, and leaving my kids is not an option, so I have all my eggs in one basket. My biggest concern after the obvious of getting in will be financial aid, as I can't work during school and do not receive child support. One step at a time though!

Reactions: 9 users
I'm 49 - will be 50 by the time I matriculate in August at my top pick med school --> University of Washington!
Just found out I was accepted a few weeks ago am still ecstatic :D

For those of you who wonder if you're too old - hell no! Honestly, I don't know what "almost 50" is supposed to feel like, but I feel great and am more than ready to take on this new challenge. Don't let people make you feel like you're past your prime - that's up to you to decide. I'm thinking I'll slow down once I hit 90.

My #1 tip - look into schools that really do cherish diversity in their med school class - a lot of schools will toss that into their mission statement, but fewer schools actually walk the walk. U of Washington is definitely one of them. I'm sure there are a lot more out there.

Anyway - good luck to you all & keep up the hard work - you'll get there.

Reactions: 22 users
I'm 49 - will be 50 by the time I matriculate in August at my top pick med school --> University of Washington!

For those of you who wonder if you're too old - hell no! Honestly, I don't know what "almost 50" is supposed to feel like, but I feel great and am more than ready to take on this new challenge. Don't let people make you feel like you're past your prime - that's up to you to decide. I'm thinking I'll slow down once I hit 90.

My #1 tip - look into schools that really do cherish diversity in their med school class - a lot of schools will toss that into their mission statement, but fewer schools actually walk the walk. U of Washington is definitely one of them. I'm sure there are a lot more out there.

Major congrats on the acceptance! :clap: So inspiring to hear about the journeys and successes of other passionate later bloomers!

Reactions: 2 users

Would you mind sharing your school list with a fellow "old" non-trad?

24 here, looking to apply when I’m 26 and *fingers crossed* be MS1 at 27. I’m on the younger end of non-trad! :happy: Working in a psychiatry research program in the meantime and chugging along taking one prerequisite a semester...

You’re still standing and as my best friend always says “once there’s a will, there’s a way!”

2018 is here and I have had setbacks since my original post but I’m at it again; I’m hoping you are too!

Thanks so much for sharing your story!

MCAT:

9/1: 512 on AAMC FL 2 (stoked!)
9/2: after 2 hours, MCAT rescheduled as the site was closed due to technical failure
9/9: date of reschedule but that Irmageddon thing

Much ado about Irma: my son and I took in a family of 7, their 4 dogs, 3 cats, 2 bearded dragons and a hamster in a tree. Well, skip the tree, just the hamster.

All told, for the 4 days they were here we had 9 people, 9 dogs, 4 cats and the rest. It was "life" I'm not used to living with and didn't study for the new date of 9/19.

9/16: told my contract was ending effective the day before; out $36,000 in a phone call

9/19: date of exam; take Adderall and without food/water/drinks it's not pretty; woke up late, drove like a banshee to get there (1.5 hours away); didn't have a store to stop at (was late) and got the score I expected. FAR below my expectations given FL 2 on 9/1...

Vowed I'd not think about "next" until 2018. As I just told someone else, I have 90 minutes left of "not thinking about it" and am going to enjoy them :)

Part of the question/concern is this:

Life will ALWAYS throw some sort of :eek: at you and I have to decide was my score truly indicative of my current ability? Do I have it in me to try again? As in, is my confidence high enough that I can do well or was the myriad of @#$ that happened just another excuse?

I believe had I taken it on 9/2, my original date, I'd have done well. So my journey? Dead stopped. Forever? Possibly.:shrug:

90 minutes of not thinking about this :) Will enjoy the remaining now 26 of them!

24 here, looking to apply when I’m 26 and *fingers crossed* be MS1 at 27. I’m on the younger end of non-trad! :happy: Working in a psychiatry research program in the meantime and chugging along taking one prerequisite a semester...
would love to get in on some research like that. whats the topic?

I'm currently 30. I got into dental school (sorry, I don't think the dental threads have a non-traditional thread) last year when I was 29. Up until last year and while taking the science prerequisites I worked as a lawyer. Now I'm fully concentrated on dental school and in September I will be starting my second year. I have no regrets.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be 31 by the time I'm a MS1.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a classmate who is a former Lawyer, former Army Vet, and now an MS3, 38! There is a guy in the class below me who used to be a Veterinarian and he is in his 40s! I thought I was old as an MS3 just over 30 :)

I'm 37, turning 38 this summer. I'm applying to dental school this cycle, and if I get in I will finish at 43. Like many of you, I don't plan to specialize. I can't justify the additional time and expense. I'm also a single mother of an 11-year-old daughter and 13-year-old son while working 55-60 hours/ wk and attending school full time. (What is sleep again?) My grades are on the lower end of competitive, but still in range. I'm hoping the ADCOM will view my life experiences as a valuable contribution to the class. I was a former professional opera singer, then taught music and elementary up to this point. Unfortunately, I can only attend one school in my area due to custody agreements, and leaving my kids is not an option, so I have all my eggs in one basket. My biggest concern after the obvious of getting in will be financial aid, as I can't work during school and do not receive child support. One step at a time though!
Hi! I think I saw you on Bootcamp facebook group this summer. I'm like you. 36yr.old, applied this cycle. I still didn't have kids, so it's a thing I will have to get done while in dental school. How's your application process going. And, which state are you from?

MS3 here. I'll be soon 41. 2 kids (3 and 8), but I'm 3k miles away from them (only got accepted to 1 school, so had no choice). Both me and my wife struggle a bit: me with studying and passing boards, she with having to raise both kids and work simultaneously. Can't wait for a day when I'll finally rejoin with my family. 2 more years to go + 3 years residency which can be anywhere. So still 5 years to go until I'm coming home finally.

Since I'm international student and I don't have green card - I'll be limited in my residency choice (will have to apply to residencies that offer either J1 or H1B visa). Also, I'll have a private 8% 400k debt ($32k a year just to cover interest). I wasn't as lucky to get federal loans or military ones (I'm not eligible for them). I won't have any forgiveness options or anything like that. I'm still 100% confident that future is bright.

What it's like to be an international 40yo student with huge debt, alone in foreign country without family or anyone close to you? It's not easy, English is my 2nd language, your brain doesn't get any younger, retention is not as good as I had in my 20's etc. Nevertheless, I was able to get through 2 years and am finally enjoying rotations. For those in similar situation, just wanted to say it's doable, just need to put a lot of effort. Also, keep in mind that even if you are struggling with exams and boards (couple times I thought I would never make it to be honest), remember that your academic performance does not necessarily equate to how good of a doctor you'll be and if patients will love you. I'm finding on rotations that I'm enjoying live interaction and caring for patients a lot more than sitting in a library cubicle 14 hours a day reading handouts for exam. Treating my patients as if they were my mom, dad or sister. They can feel it and appreciate. This feeling is very rewarding and of course the urge to finally get through this learning and training and be able to finish residency and come back to my family - is what was and is fueling me through my journey.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
MS3 here. I'll be soon 41. 2 kids (3 and 8), but I'm 3k miles away from them (only got accepted to 1 school, so had no choice). Both me and my wife struggle a bit: me with studying and passing boards, she with having to raise both kids and work simultaneously. Can't wait for a day when I'll finally rejoin with my family. 2 more years to go + 3 years residency which can be anywhere. So still 5 years to go until I'm coming home finally.

Since I'm international student and I don't have green card - I'll be limited in my residency choice (will have to apply to residencies that offer either J1 or H1B visa). Also, I'll have a private 8% 400k debt ($32k a year just to cover interest). I wasn't as lucky to get federal loans or military ones (I'm not eligible for them). I won't have any forgiveness options or anything like that. I'm still 100% confident that future is bright.

What it's like to be an international 40yo student with huge debt, alone in foreign country without family or anyone close to you? It's not easy, English is my 2nd language, your brain doesn't get any younger, retention is not as good as I had in my 20's etc. Nevertheless, I was able to get through 2 years and am finally enjoying rotations. For those in similar situation, just wanted to say it's doable, just need to put a lot of effort. Also, keep in mind that even if you are struggling with exams and boards (couple times I thought I would never make it to be honest), remember that your academic performance does not necessarily equate to how good of a doctor you'll be and if patients will love you. I'm finding on rotations that I'm enjoying live interaction and caring for patients a lot more than sitting in a library cubicle 14 hours a day reading handouts for exam. Treating my patients as if they were my mom, dad or sister. They can feel it and appreciate. This feeling is very rewarding and of course the urge to finally get through this learning and training and be able to finish residency and come back to my family - is what was and is fueling me through my journey.

Cheers

It’d be an honor to work with you one day.

And your avatar is awesome.

LOL thanks man, I appreciate! I once went to my anatomy lab with a Big Lebowski t-shirt and no one from my classmates knew who or what that was. Kinda sad you know. Younger generation has no clue about it. :)

Reactions: 3 users
LOL thanks man, I appreciate! I once went to my anatomy lab with a Big Lebowski t-shirt and no one from my classmates knew who or what that was. Kinda sad you know. Younger generation has no clue about it. :)

I am sure if I wore a Melton shirt with a red stapler graphic tee, I would get deer in the headlights stares too! Lol
—-29 yo Millennial

Side note: Plan to apply to med school by 2021 at the latest. That means I will be 36 by the time I match into a GS Residency.

My goal was an acceptance by 30. I'm 29 now. Had my first interview 2 weeks ago, still waiting for decision but I think it went well. Fingers crossed!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
My goal was an acceptance by 30. I'm 29 now. Had my first interview 2 weeks ago, still waiting for decision but I think it went well. Fingers crossed!!

Keep us updated! You got this!

Hi! I think I saw you on Bootcamp facebook group this summer. I'm like you. 36yr.old, applied this cycle. I still didn't have kids, so it's a thing I will have to get done while in dental school. How's your application process going. And, which state are you from?
Sorry, just saw this! I was on bootcamp this summer. Application is submitted, but I haven't heard anything. Trying not to freak out. I have connections at a few schools, but they don't any at the school I need to attend. Bummer. I'm in Texas. How about you?

Congrats on the achievement! I can't imagine how hard it is to be so far away from family. Keep strong!

What was odd for me wasnt necessarily my age...
I was 25, almost 26 when i started and i’ll be a few months shy of my 30th birthday when I graduate (ms3).

But for me, it was being married. Age-wise, im not that far ahead, but being married definitely made me feel different from the rest of my class, which i feel made making connections harder since the 22 year olds in my class couldnt relate to it. But, now that more and more are getting married (in fact relationships that started ms1 are now planning marriages) things have normalized.

I was 25, almost 26 when i started and i’ll be a few months shy of my 30th birthday when I graduate (ms3).

But for me, it was being married. Age-wise, im not that far ahead, but being married definitely made me feel different from the rest of my class, which i feel made making connections harder since the 22 year olds in my class couldnt relate to it. But, now that more and more are getting married (in fact relationships that started ms1 are now planning marriages) things have normalized.
Definitely depends on the school. DO schools seem to have a more nontrad student body. My Master's schools avg age in their DO program is 24, and there's a lot of OMS1s that are married and have families.

Definitely depends on the school. DO schools seem to have a more nontrad student body. My Master's schools avg age in their DO program is 24, and there's a lot of OMS1s that are married and have families.

For sure! I fit in better at Dartmouth since it is more non-trad. I was told we have a very young class compared to normal so that is just how things worked out.

25, will be 26 when matriculating (fingers crossed). Graduated undergrad almost 8 years ago ( not a typo). Been through alot only to find out I've been through very little and realized the only true adversity in life is not the little opportunity we have but the complete absence of it.

25, will be 26 when matriculating (fingers crossed). Graduated undergrad almost 8 years ago ( not a typo). Been through alot only to find out I've been through very little and realized the only true adversity in life is not the little opportunity we have but the complete absence of it.
If you don’t mind me asking but do you complete your gen ed classes in high school? (IB HS) by any chance?

Most importantly congrats! I am sure you will! ;)

If you don’t mind me asking but do you complete your gen ed classes in high school? (IB HS) by any chance?

Most importantly congrats! I am sure you will! ;)
Yup, maxed out AP classes and 50 hours of dual enrollment, but I didn't finish all required classes in high school, took Orgo 2 as an undergrad. All classes were taken between two schools though.

Thanks! Good luck to you as well if you are applying this cycle.

MS3 here. Graduated with my PharmD at 25. Worked as a clinical pharmacist for 9 years. Entered med school (Caribbean) at 34, completed 5 semester on the island at 36. Just received my step 1 score last week, starting rotations in January.

PharmD2MD

I'm similar to you. I am 25, hopefully matriculating at 26 (just waiting on responses). I was married just after I turned 22. It's come up quite a bit in interviews and I definitely feel a little out of place when I realize how many of the other individuals at the interviews are not in a similar situation at all.

Starting as a M1 in fall 2019 at 42. Married with 2 kids. Former lawyer specializing in child welfare and family law. Worked in civil prosecution then trained and assisted judges as a step-down career to finish pre-reqs and apply. It was a blur but some how I made it. Lots of support from family, friends, and colleagues.

Starting as a M1 in fall 2019 at 42. Married with 2 kids. Former lawyer specializing in child welfare and family law. Worked in civil prosecution then trained and assisted judges as a step-down career to finish pre-reqs and apply. It was a blur but some how I made it. Lots of support from family, friends, and colleagues.
That's strange. If I'm accepted somewhere this cycle, I'll be starting as an M1 in fall at 42 and as an attorney I specialized in child welfare and special education and some family...but I have three kids. I haven't even told my husband I applied yet. He works every waking minute so he hasn't noticed anything is up yet. I wanted to see if I got an interview before starting that fight. Basically, let's find out if I can even climb this hill before I decide if it's the hill I'm willing to die on.

Just bumping this for any other individuals who think they are too old for med school.

You guys are giving me a much needed confidence boost!

I am 27 right now, finishing up my associate's in nursing. Life happened and I couldn't do med school when I was younger, so I settled for the next best thing.

Still have my bachelor's to get, so hopefully I will be 31 when I apply to school.

Congratulations to the individual who made that leap at 63... but what is the benefit of admitting a student of that age? They will be 70 when they finish residency!

What a waste of time and money for the student. There is a very real chance of death from old age before graduating, and no chance of having a career if they finish training.

The benefit is to the medical school and the $200k in tuition they steal from the student.

*yeah I understand maybe this one student survived.

29 just starting the process. Hoping to matriculate by 32! I'm currently working as a clinical psychotherapist so I'm not without a career, just wanting more out of my scope of practice :)

Reactions: 2 users

you are an inspiration!

Non-Traditional Applicants
How many students are over 30?

Each year the incoming class has about 58 students in their 30's. The average age of the class is 24, and approximately half the class does not come to medical school directly after graduation. The oldest student we have accepted was 63 and we have had a handful of students in their 40's.
Frequently Asked Questions | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University

I'm 34. If I get accepted in the 2020-2021 cycle, I'll be 36 when I matriculate.

Reactions: 3 users
You can join me in the 40 year old intern club!

I'd join that club for sure. Hope there is free coffee, I'll need it.

Best of luck this cycle. Keep us posted if one of your schools likes musty, old applicants like me.

I'm 30 this year. It's nice to have this non-traditional community support after reading so many "if you don't have 521 MCAT and 4.0 gpa, you'll never get in" comments

I'm 30 this year. It's nice to have this non-traditional community support after reading so many "if you don't have 521 MCAT and 4.0 gpa, you'll never get in" comments
I'm not trying to go to Harvard. lol. The MSAR gives an accurate sample of student scores who matriculate. Everyone exaggerates online. I used to body build and everyone online could bench press 350 and deadlift 700 until you asked them to show a video. lol. Same here.