Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

~NonTraditionals~: Ages

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by AdroitDarkHorse, Dec 20, 2006.

1. dochan213

Medical Student
    Left Financial Services at 28, finished my pre reqs at 29, rejected and reapplied at 30 and started medical school at 31. Getting my CPA was a 5K, Pre med was a marathon, medical school is a marathon, and residency I've been told is a marathon. I assume my life will add up to being a ultra marathon.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Typeracer

Pre-Medical
    Congrats, that's awesome. I'm 30, and I'll be applying when I'm 33. I hear ya on the marathon. It felt like a 5k just getting myself to a point where I even had the opportunity to work my butt off to aim for med school. Working hard for the A's now feels like the easy part after everything it took to get to this point.

#1452 Typeracer, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 at 9:55 PM
    dochan213 likes this.
  4. silverqueen16

Pre-Medical
    I'll be 30 this year, just started my undergrad biology degree this spring (albeit I went into it with almost 110 credits but only 45 them are applicable to my degree, naturally). I'll graduate in 2020 and hope to start medical school that Fall. If all goes according to plan (also trying to try for our first child next year), I should be done with residency by the time I'm 40, maybe 41 :D My mom went to medical school in her mid 40s so she was my inspiration. On track to have a 4.0 this first semester, and am just starting to apply for volunteer/shadowing programs. I've also stayed on part-time as a pastry chef, maybe they'll see it as being well rounded?? I wish I'd stayed in school instead of becoming a pastry chef.. this is actually pretty fun!!

5. parabellum

Pre-Medical
    38 here. 9 year Police Officer, military before that. Finishing psych undergrad next spring, then onto a DIY postbac. Looking at applying 2020. 5 kids, 4 of whom will be in college when I start applications. Intimidating, but hey... do something that scares the hell out of you right?

6. starbuck2

Pre-Medical
    I’m 27. Hopefully will finish all prereqs by next spring at age 28, then apply next summer. I’ll be 29 when I start med school, if things go well!