1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

~NonTraditionals~: Ages

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by AdroitDarkHorse, Dec 20, 2006.

1. dochan213

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Left Financial Services at 28, finished my pre reqs at 29, rejected and reapplied at 30 and started medical school at 31. Getting my CPA was a 5K, Pre med was a marathon, medical school is a marathon, and residency I've been told is a marathon. I assume my life will add up to being a ultra marathon.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Typeracer

Pre-Medical
    Congrats, that's awesome. I'm 30, and I'll be applying when I'm 33. I hear ya on the marathon. It felt like a 5k just getting myself to a point where I even had the opportunity to work my butt off to aim for med school. Working hard for the A's now feels like the easy part after everything it took to get to this point.

#1452 Typeracer, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    starbuck2 and dochan213 like this.
  4. silverqueen16

Pre-Medical
    I'll be 30 this year, just started my undergrad biology degree this spring (albeit I went into it with almost 110 credits but only 45 them are applicable to my degree, naturally). I'll graduate in 2020 and hope to start medical school that Fall. If all goes according to plan (also trying to try for our first child next year), I should be done with residency by the time I'm 40, maybe 41 :D My mom went to medical school in her mid 40s so she was my inspiration. On track to have a 4.0 this first semester, and am just starting to apply for volunteer/shadowing programs. I've also stayed on part-time as a pastry chef, maybe they'll see it as being well rounded?? I wish I'd stayed in school instead of becoming a pastry chef.. this is actually pretty fun!!

5. parabellum

Pre-Medical
    38 here. 9 year Police Officer, military before that. Finishing psych undergrad next spring, then onto a DIY postbac. Looking at applying 2020. 5 kids, 4 of whom will be in college when I start applications. Intimidating, but hey... do something that scares the hell out of you right?

6. starbuck2

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I’m 27. Hopefully will finish all prereqs by next spring at age 28, then apply next summer. I’ll be 29 when I start med school, if things go well!

7. acslater99

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm currently 24. I recently just finished my bachelors last year and I will begin my post-back this Fall! My plan is to finish taking some pre-req courses during the Fall of 2018/Spring of 2019/Summer of 2019. After that I plan to volunteer/shadow to get more clinical exposure throughout 2019 spreading into 2020. I eventually want to take the MCAT around April 2020 and apply that summer! I'll be doing that all while working full-time! :)

8. FutureSurgical

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    24, will be applying around 27-28 for different reasons. Nothing horrible, but I'm enjoying life just working in a job I love, all-the-while working on my app, family, and myself. I'm in no rush to get into medical school right now.

genegrey and DBC03 like this.
  9. AcademicMamaBear

Pre-Medical
    I'm 38. Three kids, an MFA, a PhD, a tenured associate professor husband and a partridge in a pear tree. Kidding about the partridge part but not the rest. I'm hoping to finish my DIY prerequs this 2018-19 school year while also teaching five English/lit/writing courses each semester and raising three mostly sweet littles ranging from 7 y. to 10m. Wish me luck! And the same for all of you! When this thread started in 2006 there were people younger, older...etc. They should be done by now. There isn't a "here I am now!" thread, is there?

10. 24GaugeEJ

24GaugeEJ Small, but mighty; probably positional.
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Started off my professional life in the natural sciences. Had some strange, sudden, life altering experiences and tried a few different careers before I finally found medicine. Worked the last 4-5 years as a paramedic while completing prereqs. I will be an MS1 this fall at my top choice. I couldn’t have done it without some serious support from my friends and family and a wife who really loves me, though. Fortunately, I don’t have any dependents apart from a couple of freeloading cats; but, I am 35 years old. I’ll check in once in a while and let you guys know how it goes. If this is what you really want from life, make it a priority. And never forget to love and appreciate those who have helped along the way.

precisiongraphic likes this.
  11. StackOfTurtles

Pre-Medical
    I'm 30 with a 2yo and another on the way. This year will be my first application cycle, and if I get in I'll be 31 when I start (and I'll turn 32 about a month in).

I was anxious about doing med school with little ones, but my Dr. told me started med school two weeks after giving birth (she's superwoman), and had another kid in residency. So, it's doable! And I love to see threads like this one where I can see all the different paths that bring folks to medicine -- it's inspiring :)

12. Angelyka

Angelyka MissUnderstood Spoonie
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I’m 33. If I am accepted this cycle, I will be a 34 year old MS1. At least I’m constantly told that I look younger.

Sent from my iPhone

13. StackOfTurtles

Pre-Medical
    this makes me smile -- at 25 i looked 18, and i'm not sure the doogie howser effect was going to inspire a lot of confidence in patients, so ... I guess it's good that i'm an "old" pre-med now?

PastorDoc likes this.
  14. futurecadoc925

Pre-Medical
    I’m 26, in sophmore year of undergrad biology degree. Taking all pre recs for med school now. Volunteering and shadowing all summer. Will be 28 when I apply, actually happy I’m going to med school later with more life experience and wisdom under my belt!

15. DDSMomma

Pre-Dental
    I'm 37, turning 38 this summer. I'm applying to dental school this cycle, and if I get in I will finish at 43. Like many of you, I don't plan to specialize. I can't justify the additional time and expense. I'm also a single mother of an 11-year-old daughter and 13-year-old son while working 55-60 hours/ wk and attending school full time. (What is sleep again?) My grades are on the lower end of competitive, but still in range. I'm hoping the ADCOM will view my life experiences as a valuable contribution to the class. I was a former professional opera singer, then taught music and elementary up to this point. Unfortunately, I can only attend one school in my area due to custody agreements, and leaving my kids is not an option, so I have all my eggs in one basket. My biggest concern after the obvious of getting in will be financial aid, as I can't work during school and do not receive child support. One step at a time though!

16. MercMutt

Pre-Medical
    I'm 49 - will be 50 by the time I matriculate in August at my top pick med school --> University of Washington!
    Just found out I was accepted a few weeks ago am still ecstatic :D

For those of you who wonder if you're too old - hell no! Honestly, I don't know what "almost 50" is supposed to feel like, but I feel great and am more than ready to take on this new challenge. Don't let people make you feel like you're past your prime - that's up to you to decide. I'm thinking I'll slow down once I hit 90.

My #1 tip - look into schools that really do cherish diversity in their med school class - a lot of schools will toss that into their mission statement, but fewer schools actually walk the walk. U of Washington is definitely one of them. I'm sure there are a lot more out there.

Anyway - good luck to you all & keep up the hard work - you'll get there.

GenSurgONLY, lumya, gerald1 and 15 others like this.
  17. PastorDoc

PastorDoc Just keep swimming.

Major congrats on the acceptance! :clap: So inspiring to hear about the journeys and successes of other passionate later bloomers!

genegrey, Pentatonika and DBC03 like this.
  18. parabellum

Pre-Medical

Would you mind sharing your school list with a fellow "old" non-trad?

GenSurgONLY likes this.
  19. keepmefloating99

Pre-Medical
    24 here, looking to apply when I’m 26 and *fingers crossed* be MS1 at 27. I’m on the younger end of non-trad! :happy: Working in a psychiatry research program in the meantime and chugging along taking one prerequisite a semester...

PastorDoc likes this.
  20. IAmDrP

IAmDrP SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You’re still standing and as my best friend always says “once there’s a will, there’s a way!”

2018 is here and I have had setbacks since my original post but I’m at it again; I’m hoping you are too!

Thanks so much for sharing your story!

Ad2b likes this.
  21. IOU11

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    would love to get in on some research like that. whats the topic?

22. Jizzle_FR

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm currently 30. I got into dental school (sorry, I don't think the dental threads have a non-traditional thread) last year when I was 29. Up until last year and while taking the science prerequisites I worked as a lawyer. Now I'm fully concentrated on dental school and in September I will be starting my second year. I have no regrets.

frosted2 likes this.
  23. Arabon

Arabon Take two and never call me again.
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'll be 31 by the time I'm a MS1.

24. gonnif

gonnif Only 782 Days Until Next Presidential Election
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Completely trivial: I read about someone whose last was Lawyer who went to dental school. His shingle read “Dr. Lawyer, dentist”

sunshinefl and Suess like this.
  25. BabyDaddy

Medical Student
    I've got a classmate who is a former Lawyer, former Army Vet, and now an MS3, 38! There is a guy in the class below me who used to be a Veterinarian and he is in his 40s! I thought I was old as an MS3 just over 30 :)

Shotapp and Matthew9Thirtyfive like this.
  26. IzRDH

Hi! I think I saw you on Bootcamp facebook group this summer. I'm like you. 36yr.old, applied this cycle. I still didn't have kids, so it's a thing I will have to get done while in dental school. How's your application process going. And, which state are you from?

BabyDaddy likes this.
  27. BabyDaddy

Medical Student
    Haha Awesome!
    I recommend it :)

IzRDH likes this.
  28. dushash

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    MS3 here. I'll be soon 41. 2 kids (3 and 8), but I'm 3k miles away from them (only got accepted to 1 school, so had no choice). Both me and my wife struggle a bit: me with studying and passing boards, she with having to raise both kids and work simultaneously. Can't wait for a day when I'll finally rejoin with my family. 2 more years to go + 3 years residency which can be anywhere. So still 5 years to go until I'm coming home finally.

Since I'm international student and I don't have green card - I'll be limited in my residency choice (will have to apply to residencies that offer either J1 or H1B visa). Also, I'll have a private 8% 400k debt ($32k a year just to cover interest). I wasn't as lucky to get federal loans or military ones (I'm not eligible for them). I won't have any forgiveness options or anything like that. I'm still 100% confident that future is bright.

What it's like to be an international 40yo student with huge debt, alone in foreign country without family or anyone close to you? It's not easy, English is my 2nd language, your brain doesn't get any younger, retention is not as good as I had in my 20's etc. Nevertheless, I was able to get through 2 years and am finally enjoying rotations. For those in similar situation, just wanted to say it's doable, just need to put a lot of effort. Also, keep in mind that even if you are struggling with exams and boards (couple times I thought I would never make it to be honest), remember that your academic performance does not necessarily equate to how good of a doctor you'll be and if patients will love you. I'm finding on rotations that I'm enjoying live interaction and caring for patients a lot more than sitting in a library cubicle 14 hours a day reading handouts for exam. Treating my patients as if they were my mom, dad or sister. They can feel it and appreciate. This feeling is very rewarding and of course the urge to finally get through this learning and training and be able to finish residency and come back to my family - is what was and is fueling me through my journey.

Cheers

#1477 dushash, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  29. 24GaugeEJ

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It’d be an honor to work with you one day.

xMikeyDay and dushash like this.
  30. 24GaugeEJ

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    And your avatar is awesome.

dushash likes this.
  31. dushash

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    LOL thanks man, I appreciate! I once went to my anatomy lab with a Big Lebowski t-shirt and no one from my classmates knew who or what that was. Kinda sad you know. Younger generation has no clue about it. :)

GenSurgONLY, DysPDM and 24GaugeEJ like this.
  32. GenSurgONLY

I am sure if I wore a Melton shirt with a red stapler graphic tee, I would get deer in the headlights stares too! Lol
    —-29 yo Millennial

Side note: Plan to apply to med school by 2021 at the latest. That means I will be 36 by the time I match into a GS Residency.