~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe it's the same person, now an MS3 ;)
I thought about that after I saw the ages and it makes sense ha.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow! I feel so encouraged! 40yo applicant this year

Reactions: 5 users
So I'm 36 but I think I have a look that makes people just not have any idea how old/young I am one way or the other, which made things funny during an interview this week. I was explaining that I got married and then pregnant during my last year of undergrad, and the interviewer (closed file, knew nothing about me) said "oh, was that this year or 2016?" o_O Me: "um, what?" Him: "Did you graduate this year or in 2016?" Me: "Oh, um, no, I graduated in 2001." Him: ":eek: ...... oh!... uhhh..okay, what have you been doing since then?" :laugh: I'll probably look 85 by the end of med school, so it'll all even out eventually.

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m 27, will be 28 with a 4 year old daughter when I matriculate this summer!

I’m embarrassed to say I cannot remember my age. But I think I’m 36. I could be 37. Sheesh. I was born in 81 - that’s 36, right? I will be matriculating at 37 (assuming school starts in august). I like to think I look mid-20s, but the eye wrinkles are catching up to me!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 14 users
Because I had the time and was curious myself, I scrolled through the entire thread. 55 y/o MS1 wins, with two 52 y/o MS1s taking second. A couple of people reported beginning their pre-reqs in their 50s, but no confirmation that anyone matriculated after age 55.

Check page 26 for the story.

:claps: That full report though.

I will turn 36 the day of our first exams for Gross and Histology. Happy Birthday to me. :hungover:

Someone asked for updates... so sure... I'll update.

Turned 40 two months after I started internship, but gladly didn't have to work ON my birthday (Which was a Saturday), but I was on one of the rotations that only gave one day off a week, so I had to work Sunday.

I am now 44, finished my chief year, now board certified in IM, and stepping into my job as a hospitalist at a local community hospital. (i.e. I 'made' it. The 'end' of the road.)

So there is hope out there everyone!
finding-dory-movie.jpg

Reactions: 21 users
@Art2doc ... perhaps a good place to seek likeminded nontrad applicants and hear about their journeys...

Reactions: 1 user
lol definitely not a hero. but glad you are motivated and hopeful:).

Do this or do something you love that's challenging enough to scare you to death! Best of luck to all! [Message me if I can be of help to any of my "ultra" nontrads].

The bolded really resonated with me. I'm going to live by this and achieve my goals.

Reactions: 3 users
Fifty ... cough, sputter, SMILE, 1. Never married, 2 children (one living, one not), 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 horse rescue (Percheron; all 2300 lbs of him; I claim him as a tax deduction!!!)

had something like 42 Fs, followed up by 20+ W's and maybe an assorted D+ or C- or C+ for those 42 and 20 which were repeats of themselves and gosh, I do not even remember taking those classes, let alone the repeats!!!

AMCAS was not fun. 8 pages of Badddddddddddd/terrible grades. Kicked in the gut. Almost quit. Again. But then... those were from 1986. 2015? near 4.0... just need a little BIG MCAT score and maybe, I'll fit in. Somewhere. Someone will show me some love. I hope.

Former VP $2B company (internal audit - reported to Board), I mingle now with clients and help them do whatever. I'm a fixer.

This is amazing and inspiring! I’m sure so many may have asked, how are things on your journey now?

I am a 35 year-old, single mom, divorced (as of April this year) working full-time. I’ve been on this very slow journey since 2010 and hope to take the MCAT in June or July 2018.

Scrolling through this thread for some motivation because it gets tough.

Reactions: 6 users
This is amazing and inspiring! I’m sure so many may have asked, how are things on your journey now?

MCAT:

9/1: 512 on AAMC FL 2 (stoked!)
9/2: after 2 hours, MCAT rescheduled as the site was closed due to technical failure
9/9: date of reschedule but that Irmageddon thing

Much ado about Irma: my son and I took in a family of 7, their 4 dogs, 3 cats, 2 bearded dragons and a hamster in a tree. Well, skip the tree, just the hamster.

All told, for the 4 days they were here we had 9 people, 9 dogs, 4 cats and the rest. It was "life" I'm not used to living with and didn't study for the new date of 9/19.

9/16: told my contract was ending effective the day before; out $36,000 in a phone call

9/19: date of exam; take Adderall and without food/water/drinks it's not pretty; woke up late, drove like a banshee to get there (1.5 hours away); didn't have a store to stop at (was late) and got the score I expected. FAR below my expectations given FL 2 on 9/1...

Vowed I'd not think about "next" until 2018. As I just told someone else, I have 90 minutes left of "not thinking about it" and am going to enjoy them :)

Part of the question/concern is this:

Life will ALWAYS throw some sort of :eek: at you and I have to decide was my score truly indicative of my current ability? Do I have it in me to try again? As in, is my confidence high enough that I can do well or was the myriad of @#$ that happened just another excuse?

I believe had I taken it on 9/2, my original date, I'd have done well. So my journey? Dead stopped. Forever? Possibly.:shrug:

90 minutes of not thinking about this :) Will enjoy the remaining now 26 of them!

Members don't see this ad :)
For whatever reason I did not realize so many people were nontraditional but it is very encouraging.

I retired from active duty and took a few years to figure life after the military out. Just recently I have started my prereqs and should be ready for the MCAT in a little over 2 years when I'm in my early 30s. Having a toddler makes that 2 years feel like it'll be here tomorrow.

Let nothing stand in your way people.

I took four years off between college and medical school, and it seemed like an eternity. I used to joke that the only thing that would come between me and becoming a physician was cancer. I was accepted to begin medical school in 2014, and then two weeks before classes started - I was diagnosed with leukemia.

I went ahead and matriculated anyway. I'll be graduating with my MD and my MBA next year (2019).

Believe in yourself, and NEVER pay heed to the naysayers, even when the odds are stacked against you.

Happy New Year Everyone :)

Reactions: 12 users
Let nothing stand in your way people.

Believe in yourself, and NEVER pay heed to the naysayers, even when the odds are stacked against you.

Happy New Year Everyone :)
What about when the odds, life, length of life traveled say, "Stop the madness."

What about when the odds, life, length of life traveled say, "Stop the madness."

Only you can make that call. :) Whichever path you choose, it will be the right one.

I don't know you...however something in my gut says that you're not done yet. Cheers to a new year and the next steps.

For whatever reason I did not realize so many people were nontraditional but it is very encouraging.

I retired from active duty and took a few years to figure life after the military out. Just recently I have started my prereqs and should be ready for the MCAT in a little over 2 years when I'm in my early 30s. Having a toddler makes that 2 years feel like it'll be here tomorrow.

Medically retired? If so, you should look into Ch 31 benefits.

Medically retired? If so, you should look into Ch 31 benefits.

I have actually been getting information from others who have used it/are using it for medical school and law school. For some it was easy for others it seemed to be a battle to be approved.

Either way finishing with no debt and getting housing pay while in school seems to be a major relief.

Officially became non-traditional pre-med status when I quit my finance job and started taking pre-req's last fall. Turning 29 this year and hopefully will be an MD candidate at 31 years young! So encouraging to see everyone here working towards their dreams ;). This place is my first stop whenever I feel like I'm "alone"

I'm currently 35 and going to try to get my poop in a group to apply this next cycle. Graduated with my BS in 2004. My 2003 MCAT has long since expired. :laugh: I've been a stay-at-home mom since 2006. The hardest part is navigating the use of my old but relevant ECs from college (Goro is skeptical) in addition to my recent ones, and getting LORs when the last upper-level science class I've taken was in 2004.

I'm currently 35 and going to try to get my poop in a group to apply this next cycle. Graduated with my BS in 2004. My 2003 MCAT has long since expired. :laugh: I've been a stay-at-home mom since 2006. The hardest part is navigating the use of my old but relevant ECs from college (Goro is skeptical) in addition to my recent ones, and getting LORs when the last upper-level science class I've taken was in 2004.

You don't forget those significant experiences. I have 12 year-old hospital training and experiences in allied health which played a significant role in my decision to pursue medicine. They are some of the best stories I have to tell due to the level of responsibility I had at the time and the numerous patients I interacted with. Use them, write about them, but obtain new stories and experiences as well (looks like you already know this). Best of luck! :)

This thread is so inspiring. I'm a 26-yr-old RN taking prereqs and shooting to apply in summer 2019.

Reactions: 2 users

Non-Traditional Applicants

How many students are over 30?
Each year the incoming class has about 58 students in their 30's. The average age of the class is 24, and approximately half the class does not come to medical school directly after graduation. The oldest student we have accepted was 63 and we have had a handful of students in their 40's.
Frequently Asked Questions | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University

Congratulations to the individual who made that leap at 63... but what is the benefit of admitting a student of that age? They will be 70 when they finish residency!

I’m embarrassed to say I cannot remember my age. But I think I’m 36. I could be 37. Sheesh. I was born in 81 - that’s 36, right? I will be matriculating at 37 (assuming school starts in august). I like to think I look mid-20s, but the eye wrinkles are catching up to me!

I'm 24 and I have gray hairs already :(

I believe this acceptee was a retired judge who had an academic interest in the intersection of law and medicine who was not planning to practice

People keep asking me if I’m going to try to integrate my legal background with my medical career. My response is always “does trying to negotiate a lower malpractice insurance rate count?”

Hi everyone! I haven't posted here in a long time, but just wanted to give a shout out to all the nontrads! I'm a 31-years-young MS1, and so many of the physicians I work with sound so impressed at the experiences older students and career changers bring to the table! That said, I am also learning a lot from my younger (and older!) classmates. So, if you're on this journey, sending some encouragement!

Reactions: 10 users
Someone DM'd me so, I thought I'd peruse.

It's 2018... guess I ... /wave;)

29, but will be turning 30 iS if I choose to matriculate this yr. After 4 yrs. of applying, I finally got accepted last week, thanks to God.
Since I have a decent job and married now (wasn't married when I decided on this path several years ago, and took post-bacc classes), I'm struggling with the deciding next steps. Anyone work part-time during school?

Bonjour
37 years old, married with 3 doggies. Former professional soccer player, and former police officer, and excited at the perspective of becoming a doctor( planning to apply in 2020). I am just so glad to read so many future aplicants( or even actual students/doctors) have started “late”: I have always thought that age is just a number, that’s why I rarely reveal mine.
Good luck to all!

Reactions: 4 users
32 years old and married with two young boys aged 2 and 5. I'm applying for this summer and hopefully will start med school in the fall of 2019; I'll be 33 when I start.

Congratulations to the individual who made that leap at 63... but what is the benefit of admitting a student of that age? They will be 70 when they finish residency!

Depends on their biological/physiological age more than chronological age. If he/she can put out a good 10+ of full time work as a doctor, especially where there is are limited numbers of docs, more power to him or her. The real issue is overall wellness and health, and that gets tricky. Age does do what it does, but to seriously decreased extents at at time for some people with really good genes and whom take really good care and have no major diseases or comorbid issues.

Listen, if someone can become president after 60... well, I'm just saying. Let's not just look at numbers. Let's look at the whole person. All this holistic talk and so much of medicine has still fallen short of appreciating and grafting it in to their perspectives and approaches. Everyone is aging continuously since the day they are born. It's about what a person can do and keep doing.

Depends on their biological/physiological age more than chronological age. If he/she can put out a good 10+ of full time work as a doctor, especially where there is are limited numbers of docs, more power to him or her. The real issue is overall wellness and health, and that gets tricky. Age does do what it does, but to seriously decreased extents at at time for some people with really good genes and whom take really good care and have no major diseases or comorbid issues.

Listen, if someone can become president after 60... well, I'm just saying. Let's not just look at numbers. Let's look at the whole person. All this holistic talk and so much of medicine has still fallen short of appreciating and grafting it in to their perspectives and approaches. Everyone is aging continuously since the day they are born. It's about what a person can do and keep doing.
Realistically though, older nontrads have to be aware of what kind of practice we can have and for how long. I’d love to peruse some form of surgery but leaving residency at 50...I couldn’t see myself practicing more than 10-15 years. Where as in a more clinical setting I might be able to practice for 25 years or more.

Realistically though, older nontrads have to be aware of what kind of practice we can have and for how long. I’d love to peruse some form of surgery but leaving residency at 50...I couldn’t see myself practicing more than 10-15 years. Where as in a more clinical setting I might be able to practice for 25 years or more.

I know a surgeon in his 70s who is still doing a bunch of surgeries a week. But I feel the same way you do - I’m looking for some kind of field with some surgery/ procedures (ophtho, etc.) that would also give me the option to transition to clinical work if I get to the point where surgery is no longer an option. I think this is something those of us who are older consider more carefully than traditional students.

I agree with this - there's the residency length itself to consider as well. I might fall in love with a field with an 8-year-residency track, but, as a practical matter, I have zero desire to do that to myself. Not only do I want to actually start making real money again at some point in my life, but even if I have a good 40 productive years remaining (I'm 34), I don't want to spend any more of them than I have to "in training." Learning is great, but I'm kind of looking forward to the point where I can be trusted to safely take care of my patients without supervision.

Left Financial Services at 28, finished my pre reqs at 29, rejected and reapplied at 30 and started medical school at 31. Getting my CPA was a 5K, Pre med was a marathon, medical school is a marathon, and residency I've been told is a marathon. I assume my life will add up to being a ultra marathon.

Reactions: 14 users
Left Financial Services at 28, finished my pre reqs at 29, rejected and reapplied at 30 and started medical school at 31. Getting my CPA was a 5K, Pre med was a marathon, medical school is a marathon, and residency I've been told is a marathon. I assume my life will add up to being a ultra marathon.

Congrats, that's awesome. I'm 30, and I'll be applying when I'm 33. I hear ya on the marathon. It felt like a 5k just getting myself to a point where I even had the opportunity to work my butt off to aim for med school. Working hard for the A's now feels like the easy part after everything it took to get to this point.

Last edited:
I'll be 30 this year, just started my undergrad biology degree this spring (albeit I went into it with almost 110 credits but only 45 them are applicable to my degree, naturally). I'll graduate in 2020 and hope to start medical school that Fall. If all goes according to plan (also trying to try for our first child next year), I should be done with residency by the time I'm 40, maybe 41 :D My mom went to medical school in her mid 40s so she was my inspiration. On track to have a 4.0 this first semester, and am just starting to apply for volunteer/shadowing programs. I've also stayed on part-time as a pastry chef, maybe they'll see it as being well rounded?? I wish I'd stayed in school instead of becoming a pastry chef.. this is actually pretty fun!!

Reactions: 11 users
38 here. 9 year Police Officer, military before that. Finishing psych undergrad next spring, then onto a DIY postbac. Looking at applying 2020. 5 kids, 4 of whom will be in college when I start applications. Intimidating, but hey... do something that scares the hell out of you right?

Reactions: 17 users
I’m 27. Hopefully will finish all prereqs by next spring at age 28, then apply next summer. I’ll be 29 when I start med school, if things go well!

Reactions: 7 users
I'm currently 24. I recently just finished my bachelors last year and I will begin my post-back this Fall! My plan is to finish taking some pre-req courses during the Fall of 2018/Spring of 2019/Summer of 2019. After that I plan to volunteer/shadow to get more clinical exposure throughout 2019 spreading into 2020. I eventually want to take the MCAT around April 2020 and apply that summer! I'll be doing that all while working full-time! :)

24, will be applying around 27-28 for different reasons. Nothing horrible, but I'm enjoying life just working in a job I love, all-the-while working on my app, family, and myself. I'm in no rush to get into medical school right now.

I'm 38. Three kids, an MFA, a PhD, a tenured associate professor husband and a partridge in a pear tree. Kidding about the partridge part but not the rest. I'm hoping to finish my DIY prerequs this 2018-19 school year while also teaching five English/lit/writing courses each semester and raising three mostly sweet littles ranging from 7 y. to 10m. Wish me luck! And the same for all of you! When this thread started in 2006 there were people younger, older...etc. They should be done by now. There isn't a "here I am now!" thread, is there?

Reactions: 7 users
Started off my professional life in the natural sciences. Had some strange, sudden, life altering experiences and tried a few different careers before I finally found medicine. Worked the last 4-5 years as a paramedic while completing prereqs. I will be an MS1 this fall at my top choice. I couldn’t have done it without some serious support from my friends and family and a wife who really loves me, though. Fortunately, I don’t have any dependents apart from a couple of freeloading cats; but, I am 35 years old. I’ll check in once in a while and let you guys know how it goes. If this is what you really want from life, make it a priority. And never forget to love and appreciate those who have helped along the way.