~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
28 now, will be 29 when starting with a wife and 1 child. On a side note, there was a guy in his late 50s when I was in pharmd school. He decided to do it just cause!
 
40 and why do people in their 20s think that 40 is sooooo ancient, it is really annoying, but I appreciate their concern for my health :laugh:.
 
I'm 31 and after applying to MD schools 3 times total, I just received my first acceptance! MSU-CHM. Still waiting on 5 other post-interview decisions. Keep the faith! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm 31 and after applying to MD schools 3 times total, I just received my first acceptance! MSU-CHM. Still waiting on 5 other post-interview decisions. Keep the faith! 🙂

Congrats! Even though you will be a sparty. 😉

I am 35. I will turn 36 soon after I start med school this August.

I believe it has more to do with how you feel and how you see yourself than anything else.

After I am done with all my training I will still have 20 years until I am 65. That is a long career in and of itself, and who says I'll return that young?!

Good luck everyone. It has taken me years, but I am in.
:luck:
 
I am 42 years old, a mother of two boys - ages 11 and 14, and I think I am in the PERFECT position to go to Dental School. I will be starting USC in the fall. My kids are old enough to do their own homework, take the bus to school, and be independent (sort of... except for cleaning their rooms, of course) and we all three have study sessions and do homework together! I am a single mom - but their dad is very present in their lives and helps out a lot, and my boys are inspired by the fact that I've chosen to follow my dream and passion. I was a housewife and mom for over 10 years, and now I can do something for myself - and I so appreciate this opportunity - to grow and expand my mind, once again... I feel 20 years younger - no question about it.:luck:😀😛
 
37 years OLD here...

I was in my late 20's when I decided to go back to school. It took me 8 years to finish my undergrad while working full time, then part time, then just being a student. My first application cycle, I was rejected outright from 11 schools, and waitlisted on 1. When that final school said no, I went with plan b, which was a masters in biology. Last year I gave it another shot, and last month, was accepted to UNMC. I am thrilled.

Lesson: Dont give up. It may seem like you are light years away from even applying, but it goes FAST. In our advanced ages, time really does fly. Before you know it, you will be taking the MCAT, then applying and hopefully accepted. OH... one last thing and I will shut up.. Dont let the young kids get to you... with age comes wisdom, and with wisdom, you realize that old people rule. :highfive:
 
:idea: I am 24 well 25 this year looking to go to medical school felt too old and discouraged by many. I am currently an RN but I want more. Reading all the post have really encouraged me to push on and achieve my dream. THANKS GUYZ

~Concieve it
~Believe it
~Recieve it
 
I'm 27 and am applying this summer; I will be 28 when I start med school (hopefully). I'm just getting started on SDN and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised to see other people in my situation. It definitely makes me feel less alone. 🙂

Best of luck to everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be 28 this summer. I graduated in May of 2008 with a degree in biology. I still have a couple of courses to take (physics was not required for my degree) yet and I still need to take the MCAT. My GPA is a little low, so I'm in the process of retaking a couple of Cs I got. I estimate that I will apply to DO schools in about three years (I'm not in a hurry). At the same time that I apply to DO schools, I will try to become a clinical embryologist. My favorite course in college was embryology and my second favorite was genetics. So this would be a good career to combine both interests.

If I go to medical school, I should be about 34 or 35 when done with medical school, about 39 or 40 when I'm done with residency and a two year fellowship. Once all done, I would work until the day I die (if I'm able to maintain good health).

We only live once. I'm not around to become the next bill gates. I just want to help people with genetic conditions and help the future children be healthy.

I really only have three loves in life: my wife, genetics, and football.

I don't look at this long training process as lost income. I look at as spending four years in school learning what is need to perform a job (even though it is expensive) and I get paid from that point on for the rest of my life to do what I find interesting.
 
This saying is a good motivator: People sideline themselves. They look externally, recognize life is difficult, find particular industries impenetrable, companies too competitive, risks too great, or activities too time consuming or mentally strenuous. So, they simply bow out. They sit on the sideline and watch the team play. They take a job at their third or fourth choice company or even industry. They take the wrong immersion or the wrong classes or they don't throw their hat into the ring for an elected position.
 
I am 29 and a career changer. Going to Dental school in September - cant wait! worked on Wall street for 7 years. If I could do it, anyone else can!😀
 
it's refreshing to see people with similar situations. I don't feel so alone!
 
Last edited:
29... 30 after a couple months of school and I am going to kick those shrimpy little 22 year old's butts! We have so much more to draw on than they do. Years of travel, relationships, volunteering, art projects, work experience, etc.

Was going to have kids this year, but I guess that will have to wait. I'll be hanging out with plenty of them in the mean time.

I majored in Art and Biology so had to spend a couple of years taking more prerequisites. I did them one at a time since my work covered tuition for 6 credits a quarter.
 
I'm 25, but I will be 28 when I start med school...if I get in the first time.
Good luck to you all!
 
I am 24 (just turned 3/28) and still have a year and a half to 2 years left of my undergrad. I appreciate the non-trad section of SDN greatly! I started managing right out of high school and did it up until last year, it was great $ but hated it and always wanted to follow this dream but was always told it was unrealistic. Well now, I'm just a student and it's great to see other people of all ages following the same dream. It is very encouraging!!! Not to mention, it's a nice break from all the people who I go to school with (around my age) who are extremely immature and complain about how hard everything is for them when they've never worked more than a few hours a week & just don't want to put in the time to study.

Anyway- good luck everyone!
 
I am 24 (just turned 3/28) and still have a year and a half to 2 years left of my undergrad. I appreciate the non-trad section of SDN greatly! I started managing right out of high school and did it up until last year, it was great $ but hated it and always wanted to follow this dream but was always told it was unrealistic. Well now, I'm just a student and it's great to see other people of all ages following the same dream. It is very encouraging!!! Not to mention, it's a nice break from all the people who I go to school with (around my age) who are extremely immature and complain about how hard everything is for them when they've never worked more than a few hours a week & just don't want to put in the time to study.

Anyway- good luck everyone!

And being surrounded by those same complainers will continue into medical school, as much as you might hope (and expect) that it wouldn't. Unfortunately.
 
well I guess it's good that I'm used to it now then eh? lol. The most annoying thing is when the professor offers my services for tutoring to some of my classmates and they expect me to get them the same grades I get... I don't think so! lol.
 
26 now, 28 if i get accepted first try into medical/dental/pharmacy school. I might apply to all three, or just one. And 27 if I decide to go to law school.

oh yeah did i mention that im 100% sure im the #1 confused/frustrated person on this forum?
 
26 now, 28 if i get accepted first try into medical/dental/pharmacy school. I might apply to all three, or just one. And 27 if I decide to go to law school.

oh yeah did i mention that im 100% sure im the #1 confused/frustrated person on this forum?

You sound like me. I'm 25, went into financial services out of undergrad although I hated my internship and knew I could not stand business in general. Spent a good part of those three years working residency-like hours and hating it as expected, but I thought I'd stick it out and eventually go to law school, as that seemed like the best way to positively leverage my business experience.

Problem is, while I'd enjoy law school, I'd hate being a lawyer. Not to mention that as pessimistic as people on SDN can be about the financial future of a medical career and job satisfaction in general, law students lawyers have them beat 10-fold, and justifiably so. I keep coming back to the med school idea, which is what I wanted to do in high school before I let $$$ make my decisions for me. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a post-bac for this fall, though, and I would end up a 28 year old MS1. The age-factor is potentially the most intimidating aspect.
 
Was 35 when I started pre reqs (had never had a college level science class) for med school. sold big house, bought a smaller one at the beginnign of my pre reqs (Inorganic Chem I) and had a C at mid term.....Was really hard to figure things out....Oh, I have a wife and two kids and left a six figure job to take an entry level pharma job, but my company paid for pre reqs and helped me get great experience.

So, things started to click, brought my first C to an A, got As for the rest, except Ochem (B) and it all only helped my confidence.....will be starting med school in July, a couple months before turning 39.

Also decided to join the Army National Guard as well. Never been more focused and intent on what I want to do. My wsife is finishing her masters now.

Being busy as we are forces us to make time for the kids and the other important things. I actually find it is better being busier. No time for naps, or frugal things. Must plan ahead and it helps me be way more productive.

Lastly, I love going to school with the younger kids. I laugh at what stresses them out. Reflection is a wonderful tool. It actually motivates me more than iritates me.

Others have said it, so I might as well...........If I can do this, anyone can. I purposely avoided the entire science side of the campus during my undergrad. If you think you are too old, that is precisely why you should do it. It will make you feel younger.................................................
 
46.

Starting 12 months of post-bacc requirements in about a month, so with MCAT and glide year, looking at 48 starting med school. Wife, 3 kids (4, 7, 10), 1 dog, 2 cats, 1 pony. This will be career #4 or 5 depending how you count (IT consultant, Internet entrepreneur, corp exec, apartment building owner/operator,... doctor). So far even the prep science work is profoundly interesting. Can't wait! gl to all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm 32 with a wife and 20 month old daughter. I previously did 2 years of school about 7 years ago before I joined the Army, but I am basically starting over now. So if all goes well...I should be about 36 upon entering medical school. It's good to see so many others around the same age, I was somewhat apprehensive about that for a while.
 
I'm 31, will be 32 in August. Most likely will be close to 36 when I start D.O. School. I work full-time as a Paramedic on nights, and go to school during the day. Good Luck to everyone in their endeavors!
 
Was 35 when I started pre reqs (had never had a college level science class) for med school. sold big house, bought a smaller one at the beginnign of my pre reqs (Inorganic Chem I) and had a C at mid term.....Was really hard to figure things out....Oh, I have a wife and two kids and left a six figure job to take an entry level pharma job, but my company paid for pre reqs and helped me get great experience.

So, things started to click, brought my first C to an A, got As for the rest, except Ochem (B) and it all only helped my confidence.....will be starting med school in July, a couple months before turning 39.

Also decided to join the Army National Guard as well. Never been more focused and intent on what I want to do. My wsife is finishing her masters now.

Being busy as we are forces us to make time for the kids and the other important things. I actually find it is better being busier. No time for naps, or frugal things. Must plan ahead and it helps me be way more productive.

Lastly, I love going to school with the younger kids. I laugh at what stresses them out. Reflection is a wonderful tool. It actually motivates me more than iritates me.

Others have said it, so I might as well...........If I can do this, anyone can. I purposely avoided the entire science side of the campus during my undergrad. If you think you are too old, that is precisely why you should do it. It will make you feel younger.................................................

31. Starting school at UNC-CH in August. Stilling working as a computer engineer before then. Can I ask what you did before your career change?
 
I'll will turn 27 in July. Already have an undergrad and work in IT. I'll be applying to med schools for Fall 2011 term.

So by the time I finish med school I'll be 32 + residency afterwards. I am pumped up and look forward to it 🙂
 
You sound like me. I'm 25, went into financial services out of undergrad although I hated my internship and knew I could not stand business in general. Spent a good part of those three years working residency-like hours and hating it as expected, but I thought I'd stick it out and eventually go to law school, as that seemed like the best way to positively leverage my business experience.

Problem is, while I'd enjoy law school, I'd hate being a lawyer. Not to mention that as pessimistic as people on SDN can be about the financial future of a medical career and job satisfaction in general, law students lawyers have them beat 10-fold, and justifiably so. I keep coming back to the med school idea, which is what I wanted to do in high school before I let $$$ make my decisions for me. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a post-bac for this fall, though, and I would end up a 28 year old MS1. The age-factor is potentially the most intimidating aspect.

if i had family already, or even a serious relationship, it wouldn't be as big a deal. but the thought of not starting a family until im 35/medicine, 32/pharm is kinda scary. unless i get married and start a family while med school/residency which i guess is a bad idea...and law, well job market is/will continue to be super competitive with supply much higher than demand....last thing i want to worry about is job security. but then i ask myself where else would i be these next ten year and what else could i be doing...i draw a big blank.
 
I'm also an RN, 23y.o, but started out as a bio major. My gpa as a bio major was 4.0 then switched after my sophomore year to do a double major in chem and nursing hoping i'll take the mcat before i graduate with my BSN and then work for a year then go to med school. I didn't have any of the pre-reqs for nursing but the college took me in because of my high gpa and i had to cram everything into 3years. I finished that summa cum laude. I've been reading these forums since freshman year. Anyway, i got lazy, have to take physics and ochem and then the mcat. Plus, i've been working for a year now since graduation and i haven't saved. my plan was to save so now it might take a little more time to take the 2 classes and the mcat and then go back to school. If it's really what you want to do, don't be discouraged. I graduated high school at 16, took a year off for a study abroad program and when i started college,i was complaining i'm getting old (i was so used to always being the youngest in my class). Now i feel like i'm going to be too old for med school but it's really what i want to do. I've been lazy but now i'm going to get back on track finish my classess and get into med school. You can do it too.
:idea: I am 24 well 25 this year looking to go to medical school felt too old and discouraged by many. I am currently an RN but I want more. Reading all the post have really encouraged me to push on and achieve my dream. THANKS GUYZ

~Concieve it
~Believe it
~Recieve it
 
I'm also an RN, 23y.o, but started out as a bio major. My gpa as a bio major was 4.0 then switched after my sophomore year to do a double major in chem and nursing hoping i'll take the mcat before i graduate with my BSN and then work for a year then go to med school. I didn't have any of the pre-reqs for nursing but the college took me in because of my high gpa and i had to cram everything into 3years. I finished that summa cum laude. I've been reading these forums since freshman year. Anyway, i got lazy, have to take physics and ochem and then the mcat. Plus, i've been working for a year now since graduation and i haven't saved. my plan was to save so now it might take a little more time to take the 2 classes and the mcat and then go back to school. If it's really what you want to do, don't be discouraged. I graduated high school at 16, took a year off for a study abroad program and when i started college,i was complaining i'm getting old (i was so used to always being the youngest in my class). Now i feel like i'm going to be too old for med school but it's really what i want to do. I've been lazy but now i'm going to get back on track finish my classess and get into med school. You can do it too.
haha. Too old for med school. That's rich.
 
I will be 31 1/2 😀 when I start med school... well hopefully start med school. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
25 y/o...i'll be somewhere in the range of 28-29 when i apply...and you can do the math from there...
definitely a good road to be on...couldn't imagine doing anything else...
 
Brand new here: I've been following these posts for several months now, and I'm really encouraged by all of the "nontrads" out there. I'm 30 and deployed in the Army, but I have been continuously taking as many classes as possible. I'll be done with the military soon & should be 35 upon entering medschool. I've had a great career (pre Army) as a FF/Paramedic for 7 years. Just felt patriotic and had to sign up. I've been encouraged by lots of peers and physicians I've worked for that I should go to medschool. So after my service obligation is up it's full-time student for me. Good luck to all!!👍
 
Brand new here: I've been following these posts for several months now, and I'm really encouraged by all of the "nontrads" out there. I'm 30 and deployed in the Army, but I have been continuously taking as many classes as possible. I'll be done with the military soon & should be 35 upon entering medschool. I've had a great career (pre Army) as a FF/Paramedic for 7 years. Just felt patriotic and had to sign up. I've been encouraged by lots of peers and physicians I've worked for that I should go to medschool. So after my service obligation is up it's full-time student for me. Good luck to all!!👍

TX residency is a HUGE bounty of awesomeness. Also, UT Dallas has a very impressive premed program - might be interesting for you, assuming you already have a bachelors, or maybe even if you don't. Link to postbac forum discussion: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=618144
 
Thanks for the great info. I'm going to look into the program when I get back to the states.