Noob WW Game 2018 - sign ups closed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildZoo

Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just what the heck is going on here?
Have you seen the WW (Werewolf) threads around here and wondered just what exactly they were? Have you wandered into a thread, only to see talk of lynching and murder and decided to run quickly in the other direction? Did you find yourself a little intrigued despite your misgivings? Maybe you even played a game or two, but you only lived like three days and were confused the entire time?

If any of the above applies to you, please consider playing in the upcoming 5th Annual Noob WW game! It will run a titch differently from games in previous years to allow brand new players more exposure to the site meta, and to be more inclusive.

So, what is WW? (Credit to @Trilt)
WW - "Werewolf" - is a forum-based version of the classic party game "Mafia." You may have played it at camp at some point. Peruse the wikipedia entry and see if it looks familiar.

No? That's okay. Fundamentally, WW is a game of a small informed minority (the wolves) trying to killed off a confused, uninformed majority (the villagers). The villagers are, obviously, trying to figure out the bad guy wolves before they are all killed.

There is a simple day-night cycle to the game. During the day, all of the players talk together and decide one person that they believe to be a wolf. This person is killed - "lynched" - and removed from the game. At that point, whether they are wolf or village (or... other!) is revealed. During the night, the wolves plot together and decide on a villager to kill (who is, again, removed from the game).

Of course, we make this slightly more complicated, and if you want to read more check these links out:
Cyndia's post halfway down this thread is fantastic
An old noob game with a description and common rules
...but don't feel obligated to.

Categories of players will be as follows:
True Manatees - those players having played 2 games or less, who will be matched up with a veteran Manator
Grasshoppers - those players having played 3-5 games, who will not have a manator
Padawans - those players having played 6-9 games, who will be a resource for the rest of the players in the game and will be expected to be active and helpful. Limited spots available.

Manators will be paired up with manatees as mentioned above. Must have played 10+ games to qualify. It is likely that manators will have multiple manatees.

So when are we getting started?
The game is set to begin December 20th (or thereabouts). There will be a reminder to check in sent out around December 17th, with the roster locked in 48 hours prior to game start.

But but...what about the theme??
This game will be a light-hearted tale of noobs...in SPAAAACE. Hosted by myself, @Trilt, and @vetmedhead.

Please copy the list below and add your name in the appropriate category! Check out the Pre-Vet WW Archive if you are interested in reading game threads or if you need to figure out how many games you have played.

True Manatees (0-2 games)
1. emlady09
2. Skiski, clearly a nooblet
3. Barkley13
4. Grebes4lyfe
5. M935
6. Dinashadow
7. ziggyandjazzy
8. Doc-S
9. mypetmoose
10. Beagle-Brigade
11. Picklegurl
12. Sparrow_lily
13. 22Parrots

Grasshoppers (3-5 games)
1. sheltermed
2. MOOSE
3. mutts
4. dandelion
5. killerleaf

Padawans (6-9 games)
1. Stagg
2. dolphin

Manators (10+ games)
1. Animal Midwife
2. SARdoghandler
3. SportPonies
4. Melchizedek
5. Karabou
6. Finn
7.Paws
8. Skilary
9. Mixy
10. Coop

Waiting List/Subs - If you are a grasshopper, padawan, or manator looking to sign up but spots are full, please add your name to this list and indicate your correct categorization.
Capri1722 - manator
Coffee? - padawan
Allie- manator
Lawp - padawan
cray - manator

@Miranda Senft @Stagg737 @kcoughli @Melchizedek @Skimble @allieh8607 @capri1722 @finnickthedog @StayingPositive2017 @DVMDream @kaydubs @grebes4lyfe @SportPonies @Karabiner13 @dolphin106258 @genny @CoffeeQuestionMark @muttmanager @nyanko @capri1722 @Crayola227 @johnnaboo

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
If you are a grasshopper, padawan, or manator looking to sign up but we have not yet reached 10 games, please add your name to this list and indicate your correct categorization.
Psst :p
Also

Grasshoppers (3-5 games)
1. sheltermed

Padawans (6-9 games)

Manators (10+ games)
1. Animal Midwife
2. SARdoghandler

Waiting List/Subs
If you are a grasshopper, padawan, or manator looking to sign up but we have not yet reached 10 manatees, please add your name to this list and indicate your correct categorization.
1. Capri1722

I'll manator if you need more but I don't know how much help I'd be to my potential manatee. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Grasshoppers (3-5 games)
1. sheltermed

Padawans (6-9 games)

Manators (10+ games)
1. Animal Midwife
2. SARdoghandler
3. SportPonies
4. Melchizedek

Waiting List/Subs
If you are a grasshopper, padawan, or manator looking to sign up but we have not yet reached 10 manatees, please add your name to this list and indicate your correct categorization.
1. Capri1722

Grasshoppers (3-5 games)
1. sheltermed

Padawans (6-9 games)

Manators (10+ games)
1. Animal Midwife
2. SARdoghandler
3. SportPonies
4. Melchizedek

Waiting List/Subs
Capri1722 - manator
Coffee? - padawan

Members don't see this ad :)

Grasshoppers (3-5 games)
1. sheltermed

Padawans (6-9 games)

Manators (10+ games)
1. Animal Midwife
2. SARdoghandler
3. SportPonies
4. Melchizedek
5. Karabou

Waiting List/Subs
Capri1722 - manator
Coffee? - padawan

I also don't think I'm very helpful so I'll put myself on the waitlist if we happen to get enough noobs signed up!

Grasshoppers (3-5 games)
1. sheltermed

Padawans (6-9 games)

Manators (10+ games)
1. Animal Midwife
2. SARdoghandler
3. SportPonies
4. Melchizedek
5. Karabou

Waiting List/Subs
Capri1722 - manator
Coffee? - padawan
Allie- manator

For anyone considering the role of Padawan, this is a decent explanation of what will be expected of you

Being a good IC - MafiaWiki

The role of manator is similar, but of course you don't have to worry about any conflict between being helpful and playing well. The major difficulty for you will be toeing the line between helping your manatee and playing for them, especially if you have multiple manatees.

(On my phone) Someone please add me to the true manatee list!! I’m a noob, 0 games played! :banana:

Reactions: 12 users

Grasshoppers (3-5 games)
1. sheltermed

Padawans (6-9 games)

Manators (10+ games)
1. Animal Midwife
2. SARdoghandler
3. SportPonies
4. Melchizedek
5. Karabou
6. Finn

Waiting List/Subs
Capri1722 - manator
Coffee? - padawan
Allie- manator

1. emlady09

Grasshoppers (3-5 games)
1. sheltermed

Padawans (6-9 games)

Manators (10+ games)
1. Animal Midwife
2. SARdoghandler
3. SportPonies
4. Melchizedek
5. Karabou
6. Finn

Waiting List/Subs
Capri1722 - manator
Coffee? - padawan
Allie- manator

1. emlady09

Grasshoppers (3-5 games)
1. sheltermed
2. MOOSE

Padawans (6-9 games)

Manators (10+ games)
1. Animal Midwife
2. SARdoghandler
3. SportPonies
4. Melchizedek
5. Karabou
6. Finn

Waiting List/Subs
Capri1722 - manator
Coffee? - padawan
Allie- manator

1. emlady09

Grasshoppers (3-5 games)
1. sheltermed
2. MOOSE

Padawans (6-9 games)

Manators (10+ games)
1. Animal Midwife
2. SARdoghandler
3. SportPonies
4. Melchizedek
5. Karabou
6. Finn
7.Paws

Waiting List/Subs
Capri1722 - manator
Coffee? - padawan
Allie- manator

1. emlady09
4. Grebes4lyfe

Grasshoppers (3-5 games)
1. sheltermed
2. MOOSE

Padawans (6-9 games)

Manators (10+ games)
1. Animal Midwife
2. SARdoghandler
3. SportPonies
4. Melchizedek
5. Karabou
6. Finn
7.Paws

Waiting List/Subs
Capri1722 - manator
Coffee? - padawan
Allie- manator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi! I would be interested in joining this game (I would be a true manatee - I haven't played any!). But my finals go past the 15th, so I don't think I would be free/able to play until the 20th. Would it be okay if I joined then or should I just sit this one out and wait until the next one?

Hi! I would be interested in joining this game (I would be a true manatee - I haven't played any!). But my finals go past the 15th, so I don't think I would be free/able to play until the 20th. Would it be okay if I joined then or should I just sit this one out and wait until the next one?
@WildZoo I was actually gonna mention this. Any chance you’d be willing to push it off a bit? I think most schools have finals through the week before Christmas?

@WildZoo I was actually gonna mention this. Any chance you’d be willing to push it off a bit? I think most schools have finals through the week before Christmas?
Ew, that's rude of them.

I'll defer to @finnickthedog and @SkiOtter and @cdoconn, I'm fine pushing it a bit but I don't want to run into when they planned to start their game.

...which I think I also agreed to help review or something :thinking:

Reactions: 1 users
Ew, that's rude of them.

I'll defer to @finnickthedog and @SkiOtter, I'm fine pushing it a bit but I don't want to run into when they planned to start their game.

If you push it back a week/start on the Friday of that next week I have a friend I could probably bully into being a manatee hahaha

I’ll join, but I don’t know what category I’m in.

AM, since your memory is superhuman, how many games have I played?

I’ll join, but I don’t know what category I’m in.

AM, since your memory is superhuman, how many games have I played?
I don't have an exact number but you've definitely played >10. Yay, I shall have a great-grandmanatee!

Reactions: 2 users
Ew, that's rude of them.

I'll defer to @finnickthedog and @SkiOtter and @cdoconn, I'm fine pushing it a bit but I don't want to run into when they planned to start their game.

I believe we were planning on running shortly after Christmas and are concerned if we push the start that it will run into the start of next semester classes and none of us are good at modding/schooling simultaneously.

I'm trying to speak for three people but they can correct me if I be wrong.

I believe we were planning on running shortly after Christmas and are concerned if we push the start that it will run into the start of next semester classes and none of us are good at modding/schooling simultaneously.

When do classes start for you?

Also @cdoconn goes on vacation for new years-ish and will have some occasional WiFi iirc?