This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which course plan did you take at Northwestern's pre-med post-bacc program?

• 12-month

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 15-month

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • 21-month

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

mde070

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So I was recently accepted in Northwestern's post-bacc pre-med program and I plan to start taking general chemistry courses this summer quarter. After talking to my academic advisor, I cannot make up my mind about whether or not I should do the 12-month program or the 15-month program. I understand that the 15-month program may have a lighter course load per quarter but I really don't like the fact that I wouldn't be able to apply to med school for another 8 months or so after I finish the pre-reqs. That, plus the "glide" year would mean that I wouldn't be entering med school for another three years, granted that I get in. However, if I choose the 12-month program, will I still be able to do well if I put all of my time and effort into the courses? Additionally, I was accepted as a medical scribe. However, I have been told by my advisor that students usually do not work if they are enrolled on the 12-month program. So, I was thinking that I could postpone that job opportunity during the "glide" year. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on working a part-time job while taking courses at the program.

My last question is whether or not students find it possible to study for the MCAT while taking the intensive course load of the 12-month program.

Members don't see this ad.

What did you decide to do? Are you happy with your choice so far?

If you wouldn't mind sharing, could you please talk about your admission experience? I'm interested, but I don't know if my 'stats' are sufficient.