Northwestern vs Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplenalgene

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from Chicago and I plan on doing premed. Any help in making a decision would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you might be in the wrong forum - I believe this is for students choosing between medical schools!

But to answer your question, I don't think it matters too much where you do your undergrad for medical school admissions. Some factors to look at: which institution did you like more? where is more conducive to follow your passions? how big the premed/prehealth advising at each school? Work hard, have fun, and enjoy college! See you back here in 4 years (or more or less) :D

In previous years the selectivity of the undergrad you went to was of higher importance only at top institutions, however the most recently released guide from the AAMC no longer shows that distinction and the selectivity of the undergrad is not really that important according to this: (pg5)

https://www.aamc.org/download/462316/data/mcatguide.pdf#page=10

However, even if selectivity is still slightly factored the difference of this between Johns Hopkins and Northwestern is negligible (they are litterally tied for the #11 spot).

The two biggest factor in this decision really is the cost and where you felt you fit better. Unless you don't feel a baseline level of fit/comfort to the point where it would hinder your ability to do well, cost is the biggest factor. Not sure if you've had the chance to visit both schools. I graduated from Hopkins and I know they had a couple of overnight programs (SOHOP and DISCODAYS) for accepted students to get a first hand look at the campus. That really helped me decided which school to attend (I was between full ride at either Cornell and Hopkins).

Feel free to pm me if you have any particular questions about Hopkins.