Not Accepted Yet (NAY) thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3 interviews so far, 2 waitlists, 1 rejection (just found out today). I'm not feeling very confident right now, but I need to regroup because I'm interviewing at the school of my dreams next week.

Good luck lefty!! Knock it out of the park.

One thing I really don't understand - unranked waiting lists. Why do they do it? Why??? I can understand not giving out exact numbers so they can shift things around, but they could at least give quartiles. My top school accepts a solid 20% of the waitlist. I could be #1. I could be #300. Why cant you tell meeeee??

Members don't see this ad.

One thing I really don't understand - unranked waiting lists. Why do they do it? Why??? I can understand not giving out exact numbers so they can shift things around, but they could at least give quartiles. My top school accepts a solid 20% of the waitlist. I could be #1. I could be #300. Why cant you tell meeeee??

I always thought schools don't rank waitlists because who they pull is based on the types of people who declined spots.

I always thought schools don't rank waitlists because who they pull is based on the types of people who declined spots.

you are both right. some schools don't rank because they want to pick and choose as Wermz said; some rank aggressively and go right down the list as seats open up. it really depends on the school.

and congrats to EBM! the good news is coming for many of the rest of you too, I'm sure.

Members don't see this ad :)

No matter how good the reason, not having the foggiest idea of my odds is bad for my mental health. :twitch:

Hello everyone :D I thought I'd join this party!
So far I've had 3 interviews, resulting in 2 rejections, two boxes of girl scout cookies, one pint of ice cream, season 1 of Modern Family, and 1 pending decision!

May we all abandon this thread for "class of 2015" threads soon! :xf: :luck:

I feel for all you folks. Reading this thread is catharsis because only people who are going through this understand what it is like.

I concur with the above statement :thumbup:

I am not applying this cycle but I really hope each and everyone of y'all gets off of the waitlist :)

I have FAITH that each and one of you would be at a white coat ceremony this year! :D

applying this summer just wanna say goodluck!

just some stress relief:

ed45ac90-2cf0-48fc-ae32-4fdb3324bd59.jpg

So far I've had 3 interviews, resulting in 2 rejections, two boxes of girl scout cookies, one pint of ice cream, season 1 of Modern Family, and 1 pending decision!

That last line makes me incredibly happy.

Adding myself to this long train. Waiting on a waitlist spot! Hopefully it moves quick enough that I can find a good apartment to live in before school starts!

Congrats to those who have gained an acceptance. Fingers crossed for those who are still waiting.

That made me smile. Good luck dude/dudette.

goal: for this thread stay on the front page of SDN now until we are ALL in.

I'm so glad I found this thread...

3 interviews....no decision in any shape or form from any yet....

SIGH.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 interviews
2 wait lists
1 decision pending

:scared: Please God!!

Wishing everyone good luck. :luck::xf: Definitely looking forward to being able to claim c/o 2015. :love:

i had a dream that everyone in this thread made it into med school.

every last one of you.

i hope this is comforting.

good luck, not that you need it.

Anyways, I got a cool story bro for you NAYers. I had a post-interview rejection that was very surprising to me. From a thorough investigation conducted via SDN archives, I realized the school that rejected me very rarely rejects people. You pretty much have to be some sort of freakshow to get rejected. This has done wonders for my self-esteem and confidence about getting off the other waitlists.

So can you think of something freak-slowish you might've done? That sucks :(

Anyways, I got a cool story bro for you NAYers. I had a post-interview rejection that was very surprising to me. From a thorough investigation conducted via SDN archives, I realized the school that rejected me very rarely rejects people. You pretty much have to be some sort of freakshow to get rejected. This has done wonders for my self-esteem and confidence about getting off the other waitlists.

My Ohio State rejection hit me the same way. I don't think I saw anyone else in the sdn thread with a post-interview rejection. Everyone was deferred or accepted.

But really, the process is a crapshoot. It doesn't mean a thing.

Yeah don't stress... I come from a line of work that heavily favors the communication-savvy... Therefore, every doctor I know has told me "Just wait until the interviews, you'll totally knock it out of the park..."

8 waitlists (yup), but 2 acceptances (which is why I haven't shown up in this thread yet). I don't think waitlists necessarily means freakshow... It's more like playing roulette and coming up red 10 times in a row when you're betting black. Statistically possible, just ridiculously unlucky. :( I believe in all you guys... can't wait to check this thread around May 15th :luck:

Just to put it out there as a fellow NAYer...

Interviews don't guarantee that you get a good, competing chance against fellow interviewees who have higher stats. I was always told that receiving an interview means you qualify and are on equal grounds as other interviewees. That isn't true as far as I can tell given what I've been through this cycle. :(

Well, I was on 4 waitlists...now on 3...accepted today off one of them! I am sure good news will come to most in this thread. We just have to wait a bit longer than those accepted straight up.

This thread makes me so angry. The interview system they have set up is crap. With the exception of one person, every applicant I met while interviewing seemed like exactly what you'd want as a medical student and doctor. All different kinds of people, of course, some shy, some outgoing, but only one total psycho. At best the interviews could weed out the psychos; other than that it's an exercise in the personal biases of the interviewers. The rejection rate should be like 5% or less, and the waitlist should be a reasonable estimation of how many they'll need to fill the class.

This isn't me being bitter; I have my acceptance. But it's ****ed for them to say -- after all the prereq classes, all the volunteering, all the time getting clinical experience, the MCAT -- that only half or a third of those people they interview are good enough for a spot. You hand selected a few hundred people from the thousands of applications from high-achieving people! Each applicant wrote tens of thousands of words worth of essays about themselves! How can you now say that more than half are not good enough to go to your school based on a 30 min interview? I can't even imagine being arrogant enough to think that my decision would be anything more than pure chance and personal irrational preference. The interview day should be a f*cking celebration. Instead it is just crap crap crap crap crap crap crap.

This thread makes me so angry. The interview system they have set up is crap. With the exception of one person, every applicant I met while interviewing seemed like exactly what you'd want as a medical student and doctor. All different kinds of people, of course, some shy, some outgoing, but only one total psycho. At best the interviews could weed out the psychos; other than that it's an exercise in the personal biases of the interviewers. The rejection rate should be like 5% or less, and the waitlist should be a reasonable estimation of how many they'll need to fill the class.

This isn't me being bitter; I have my acceptance. But it's ****ed for them to say -- after all the prereq classes, all the volunteering, all the time getting clinical experience, the MCAT -- that only half or a third of those people they interview are good enough for a spot. You hand selected a few hundred people from the thousands of applications from high-achieving people! Each applicant wrote tens of thousands of words worth of essays about themselves! How can you now say that more than half are not good enough to go to your school based on a 30 min interview? I can't even imagine being arrogant enough to think that my decision would be anything more than pure chance and personal irrational preference. The interview day should be a f*cking celebration. Instead it is just crap crap crap crap crap crap crap.

Where do you get that? I only know of one school that solely bases the decision on the interview.

The rest of your post is pure nonsense, I don't even know where to begin.

hahaha omg, same thing happened to me and i def felt like a huge loser freak show. But I am also on another waitlist so here's hoping for both of us!

hahaha omg, same thing happened to me and i def felt like a huge loser freak show. But I am also on another waitlist so here's hoping for both of us!

I agree about the interview part. I know I blew away all my interviews except maybe one. All the interviews went way over time and became really fun and sincere conversations. I had multiple interviewers say straight up that I would/should be accepted. Right now im sitting on seven waitlists and no acceptances. I also received six of my interviews from top 20 schools and got rejected from my match and 'safety' schools. I feel like med schools turn this admissions process into a ridiculous game and im falling through the cracks.

I agree about the interview part. I know I blew away all my interviews except maybe one. All the interviews went way over time and became really fun and sincere conversations. I had multiple interviewers say straight up that I would/should be accepted. Right now im sitting on seven waitlists and no acceptances. I also received six of my interviews from top 20 schools and got rejected from my match and 'safety' schools. I feel like med schools turn this admissions process into a ridiculous game and im falling through the cracks.

Word. I'm an older applicant. I've been offered every job I've ever interviewed for. I have strong interview skills and I've had very good interviews that turned into rejections/waitlists. If I'm offered an interview and kill it and am rejected anyway, what was the point in my flying across the country/paying for a hotel/renting a car etc.? It's maddening.

have you guys contacted schools and asked them about your application in particular and what can be done to improve it?

i know university of michigan does this, i dont know about other schools

have you guys contacted schools and asked them about your application in particular and what can be done to improve it?

i know university of michigan does this, i dont know about other schools

It's not just if, but when. OHSU, for example, offers exit interviews for rejected interviewees, which is great. But they take place in August. Does anyone expect people to wait 'til September to submit their 2nd-try primaries?

I had three interviews and now I'm on three waitlists. Boo.

brb rockin SDN on friday nite
brb cant focus on workouts or school
brb life on hold till May 15

everybody's lookin forward to the weekend? Fun, fun, fun, fun.

Just got rejected from tufts when I thought I would at least get waitlisted. fun fun fun fun indeed...

Forgive my ignorance but what magical thing happens on may 15 exactly? I'm a texas resident on 2 texas waitlists..does this date apply to me too?

Isn't there also a date after which you cannot be accepted from a waitlist if you already hold another acceptance? When is that?

Forgive my ignorance but what magical thing happens on may 15 exactly? I'm a texas resident on 2 texas waitlists..does this date apply to me too?

Isn't there also a date after which you cannot be accepted from a waitlist if you already hold another acceptance? When is that?

May 15th is the date when you may hold one and only one MD school acceptance (plus as many waitlist spots as you wish). So for us that means that all the people holding multiple spots will be forced to drop all but one, freeing up spots to be filled by waitlisters.

If you hold an acceptance, and get into another school from a waitlist spot you held onto, you then drop one of your two acceptances.

This doesn't apply to DO schools, btw. I assume it applies to Texas because they are MD schools. Someone please correct me if that's not right.

Your last paragraph is wrong, but I'm assuming it was something you came up with by hearing little bits of info about what May 15th is. At one school I interviewed at, they said in a previous year they called a guy literally one day before classes began and he showed up for med school.

I think you're confusing the two app systems. So May 15th is as it has been explained for all MD schools (TX included); you can only hold one acceptance.

The Texas schools have an agreement with eachother that after June 1st, they cannot offer a spot to a student if they currently hold an acceptance at another Texas school (This includes Baylor). So we (I'm in TX too :)) have 2 important dates to push the waitlist movement along. :love: Here's to hoping! :xf:

Last edited:
Anyone here sent multiple letters to the same school? I sent some letters 3-4 months ago now but I feel lame sending another.

Recently graduated from the NAY club. Good luck to all of you, and I hope there's good news after May 15!

for those of you who don't remember my post from way back...

2 interviews=> 2 waitlists

I have come to a point where it seems being accepted will be too good to be true :(

4 interviews

3 rejections

1 waitlist

But I applied late last year. So yeah, I'm reorganizing my application/ rewriting essays and hoping that the combination of applying to more schools and applying early will help remedy my problem.

same 2 interviews = 2 waitlists.....

common May 16th!

I'm rooting for all the 2 for 2's!!! Go Mindscrew, gujuDoc, Quaero :D :luck: :D

also, just noticed May 15th is a Sunday... lets hope the following week is a life-changing week for us all!

14 apps
12 rejections
1 interview
1 school that is not even letting me know my status.

One week until the magic day, everyone!

Here is to hoping that all our wait lists turn into hard decisions to pick between.
:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Hey everybody on wait-lists, remember to also fill out your FAFSAs. I've heard of people that get pulled off the list last minute who have a world of trouble getting financial aid because they waited until accepted. Just a FYI

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder, jason! I know I definitely have to get on that... but after the biochem final that's going to eat me alive this week, haha. :p

And agreed, Baron! I feel like this is going to be a VERY long week.......... but fingers and toes crossed that everyone receives good news in the near future! :xf: :luck: